Navigation issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-17-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
PPHoses
2013 JK Wrangler 

Navigation issues

Can't get my navigation to work, all I get is a black screen. Looked through a lot of the MyGig sticky, but haven't found anything related to my issue so far.
Background:
Had to replace my entire cartridge filter housing assembly. The stem in the middle got brittle, and broke when I was changing the oil. It was past warrantee, so I took it to a mechanic to have it done because I had nowhere to do it myself. After that, I haven't been able to get my sat-nav to work (it worked perfectly fine before getting the housing replaced). I didn't discover the issue until a few months after getting the work done, so I couldn't take it back to the mechanic shop to have them look at it. Tried disconnecting the battery for hours on end to get the unit to reset, nothing. Looked for loose or disconnected connectors, nothing (although I admittedly have no idea where the connectors to the head unit and/or satellite antenna would be located, exactly). Looked through the owner's manual, racked my brain trying to figure out if there was a way to reset the radio or anything, and for the life of me I have no idea what to do. The satellite radio seems to work fine. But the sat-nav simply won't connect. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know of a solution? If it's been addressed before, please point me in the right direction to the thread that covers it. Thanks for your help.

Vehicle info:
2013 Rubicon Unlimited, RHB head unit.

Attached Thumbnails
20170621_185036.jpg   20170621_185042.jpg   20170816_132841.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-17-2017, 02:26 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I doubt the failure is related to the oil housing work. Possibly the mech did not disconnect battery and that (maybe? long shot) somehow corrupted the map data load. Even with no GPS connection - the data loaded via the disc (at dealer) should still display.

Its 2013 so running 2011 maps. I would order the update and try to install it - hopefully overwriting the corrupted file...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
PPHoses
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well the first time I turned it on, it said something like searching for satellite or connecting or something like that. It seemed to be taking forever and I was on a time schedule, so I switched over to the radio and used my phone. Next time I turned it on, I got just that black screen. What I was wondering is if the mechanic had to disconnect the radio or satellite antenna to pull out the housing. I know you have to pull the intake manifold off, so maybe it was wired around there or something.

Where would I obtain the update?

post #4 of 5 Old 08-18-2017, 11:47 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
http://chryslergroup.navigation.com/...ChryslerNA/USD
If you do not have satellite radio the GPS antenna is mounted right next to the compass below the center dash cover (above the radio).

When satellite equipped - the nav uses the same antenna (over roll bar) as satellite radio.

Seems what happened is the nav module was updating or rebooting when you interrupted it so a file is corrupted or cross linked.

But if you cant even get to settings screen to verify unit ID (needed to order map update) - it may be a dealer fix only...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
PPHoses
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, everything else on the radio works just fine, except the navigation map. So, unless it's a setting screen inside the navigation map itself, I should be able to access it. And yes it is equipped with satellite radio, but the antenna appears to be mounted on the dash. I'll take a picture of what I think it is after work and post it.

Last edited by PPHoses; 08-18-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.