MyGig anyone? - Page 94 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > MyGig anyone?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 02-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #1396
raw_speed
2012 JK Wrangler 

My questions is....is there any version of the MYGIG that isn't at least a little flaky? Mine just does crap like randomly won't allow me to use voice commands or 1 out of 3 times will forget what I was listening to when I hook up my iphone. It's just the small things that drive me nuts.

6 - 1990 4.2L YJ
5 - 1994 5.2L ZJ
4 - 1995 5.2L ZJ
3 - 1989 4.0L XJ
2 - 1997 2.5L TJ
1 - 1992 2.5L YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool View Post
Oh come on, I thought your mom was pretty hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch
I'd like to have my identity stolen, it would raise my credit score.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKOHOLIC View Post
It's all good I'm thinking of just gluing some more pubes on it.
raw_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #1397
DigitalPunk
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCody View Post
Actually, the GPS tracking is done via the internet and uses the same USB GPS antenna for your navigation. My carputer will connect to any open wifi access point it finds and update it location, or it will update via the inter via Bluetooth tether on mine or my wife's cellphone (Every time we get in the jeep our cell phones are usually in our pocket and automatically sync). The app I use for GPS tracking is free through my front end software centrafuse.

The OBD2 is a cable that costs around $70 and the software is another free plugin for centrafuse.

The web browsing is free as the carputer tethers via Bluetooth to our cell phones. You do however need a data plan with your cell carrier.

Climate control I am going to be using a whats called "The fusion brain", it costs about $50. You can also use mini steeper and sevo motors connected to your current controls. Its not expensive to do, but is very time consuming and requires lots of research.

Tire pressure. The kit for this costs $200, but is painless to have installed at any tire place. It then connects with the free app in centrafuse.

As for canbus, if you really want to use the on board amps, disk changer (Yes there is a way to control it via the carputer)or hear the warning chimes through the speakers, you just need a pac adapter. Costs $60 and works perfect in my rig.

A carpuer is much more capable then a mygig and will always have literally 1000x the options, but it is more complicated (And prob nmot as reliable, even though I have not had any issues yet) and not for the non geek at heart. It does cost the same (Can cost more depending how what hardware you get) if not less but will eat up a lot of your time setting i up.

In order to get gps info from the jeep while you're not in it as in being in another country, a gps system does not have the ability to send info to your phone or send a text etc by the gps antenna like my autopage security system does and my app on my phone will let me check temp inside jeep, check any info on the jeep ...start it, lock doors,,,,etc etc....which is a service called C-3 that you have to pay for because the unit that controls all this is what is called telematics...like a cell phone that you put a sim card in and it answers and calls with all this data just like a cell phone does....so you will have to buy that unit which will require you to have cell service that has a software to work with it to make 2 way communication possible. only other way it could work is you leave your cell in the car at all times when you are not in it.....Lo-Jack is only one way data....On-Star when it first started was not a gps system, it was telematics with a button for the driver to push and it calls the operator and they got info they needed from a live person and not til they started putting nav in it with a gps ant could that get turn by turn directions on the Screen......trust me, we are not at the tech stage yet to have a small moving sat ant to send info yet.....in fact for sat internet at home takes a bigger dish then tv sat to be able to send info back ...not talking huges internet...that's new...as in being affordable to have....satellite internet has been out for many many years, that's what remote ATM's etc have used and the equipment to get cable internet speed right now is several hundred dollars for equipment, and monthly bill starting at about $400.00...a month....the slowest....it's more reliable then comcast etc.....The OBD2 can be a dongle that plugs into it and then send info to a cell, which is about $25....so the dongle and the app work together......So web browsing will require me to turn my bluetooth on, pair it and then I have to start my Hot Spot or use my Tether on my phone each time i get in the car and it connects to the cell"s web which most new phones will have a problem with that running and it gets your text or a call or you trying to stream your music to your infotainment system all while it's also bluetoothing your calling side of the cell.....Not sure there is a phone that can handle being connected bluetooth to 3 tasks at the same time..........it can't.....a desk top has a problem trying that now....lol.....Canbus is alot more then you might not understand......most things that are changed in a networked (CanBus) which is what canbus means, the brain in car while have to be told of these unique changes all going on while is driving etc.....There is no way, and i mean, no one, unless you have a tool called the StarScan which cost about $5000.00 that will have to be done to a canbus car.....maybe that wouldn't a problem on a oldddd car......Cadilac Allante if you remember that a few long years back was the test/first vehicle to use a true canbus/network sytem.....so really i'm sorry, i'm trying to see how this is able to be a clean, warranty non voiding problem because the time setting it up each time i get in jeep and then trying to drive and with that many bluetooth pairing it has to do and we all know that nothing bluetooth connects to even one device 100% of the time and then it's gonna cause you to wreck and the new laws hitting the states later on will mean that if you are seen or caught with that cell phone playing with it to get it going while driving and the laws are, no text, no handheld calls, which means there will not be a cell in your hand if you are seen by cops etc etc......not trying to bust your bubble, but more thought into this, maybe? Google all these services etc I talked about and you'll see what i'm trying to get out...lol....Do you have specs on unit you're talking about, I'll invest time matching compatibilities with my specs I have to it's...thank you....ps..what hard drive is in it?....there aren't alot of choices of Automobile Hard Drives out there, maybe two, and they are between $250 to $500 for a 40 gig....a reg laptop drive etc will work, but depends on daily life, where you live, etc etc if that reg drive cann handle it....most auto drives are gonna be around 40 or so gigs and you will see online others selling gigs that are over 160 gigs, but they aren't made for what they are being sold for.....hey , that's what we do here in the USA...lol[/QUOTE]

1: gps data is transferred through internet connection via the on-board wifi antenna or your cell. I can actually remotely connect to my car anytime its turned on.

2: you pull your stock deck out the only thing that changes without the pac adapter is the warning chimes that come through you factory speakers. Its not a big deal, you don't really need it.

2: Your phone syncs automatically, you don't do anything. Car turns on and its automatically synced up via blue tooth. Never had issues with any connectivity to the computer and taking calls via hand free. The front end pauses any playing media when a incoming call is received. I have a droid X, droid 2 and a Iphone 3g synced to it now.

3: Solid state drives (Even though a regular laptop hard drives holds up fine) can handle like 20gs of force and can be had for as little as $80 for a 100gig drive, I have a 250gig I paid $200 for.

I run carputers in my 2008 Nissan Titan, 2006 BMW M3, 2009 Dodge ram (Same canbus as the jeep) and my 2010 JK without issues. Been running them for years.
DigitalPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #1398
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdwall View Post
Hey,

I have a 2008 JK with a MYGIG.

I just ordered a 2012 JK with the Media Center 730 option.

I am under the impression that these are the same units. Is this correct? Does the 2012 Media Center 730 option include a mic or will I have to add one like I did with my 2008 MYGIG?

Thanks.
If you ordered it with the Jeep, it should include the mic. It'll be mounted in the top right corner of the A-pillar. The unit is the same as the previous model save for obvious updates to the software. The 730N also combines the FM and Sat antenna into a single plug (where as the RER had separate plugins).

Unfortunately, the RHR isn't a huge improvement over the RER. This is my only beef with the new JK (even though this a universal unit being offered across several Chrysler vehicles). The RHR is incredibly antiquated. The unit retains all the same ancient hardware, including the low-resolution screen that was disappointing even by 2007 standards, the UI is awful, and the new text-to-speech system is by no means impressive. Google Navigation on my cellphone absolutely destroys the RHR in terms of features and performance.

You're basically paying a couple grand for a 5-year old navigation system.

I'm hoping Chrysler has a new and modern navigation unit in the works that'll come out in the next couple of years that'll be compatible with the JK.
Unread 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #1399
Ron Burgundy
Team CANON

2009 JK Wrangler 

software updates for most of us here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...5-11-a-960968/

MYGIG Database Thread

I appreciate all of the info & good people on this site.
JK Sahara 2dr
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #1400
gumbydammit
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbydammit View Post
Here's a new question. I was having problems with my RER locking up occasionally and finally got a disk a month ago and upgraded to the latest software. So far it hasn't locked up again, but I have had some weird things happening with the speakers since. The drivers tweeter occasionally will cut out and sometimes the entire passenger side speakers will cut out. It's intermittent and a bit random in occurance so I'm wondering if it could be a software related problem vs a short in the wiring. Is there anything in the engineering menu that could be adjusted? I don;t even want to get into it considering I could really f something up but thought there may be a setting to control output or somethign like that.

Thoughts?
Quick update on above. I figured out part of the speaker cut-out issue. Seems the voice prompts for the GPS were turned on, but the volume was near the lowest setting. There was a nav route loaded (maybe my kids were playing with it) and it kept giving prompts but I couldn't hear them, only the interruption in the speakers. Duh. I still get an occasional cut out from the DVD when the kids are watching a movie, which I'm guessing my be my lockpick, but nothing like it was.

Also, the lockup problem happened again. This is the first time since I did the upgrade back in Dec, which is much better than the every other week it was before.
gumbydammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #1401
wildman4x4nut
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a RBZ+RSC radio off Ebay for my wifes JK. It worked fine for about the first 2-3 weeks after installing it. Now some of the time it will start acting up and the screen will go black, then start to flicker and after a while come back on and then work fine for the next 8-10 hours. Every so often when the screen goes black it won't play music but most of the time it does.

Is there an update I can try on it? Or is there something seriously wrong with the radio? Has anyone ever been able to get a radio they swapped into their Jeep repaired or replaced under warranty? My wifes rig is a 2011 with 2 years left.

Cle Elum, WA
wildman@4x4nut.com
www.4x4nut.net
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #1402
parvo
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had a MYGig installed in my Grand Cherokee (WK) and although it was good, it was not great. In navigation mode, it was slow to give turn directions, especially when exiting a traffic circle. I make the turn and then it would announce ''Now turn left'' (remember, I'm in the U.K.) Only the first four digits of a postcode or zip code can be input. Quite useless unless you already know the road name/house number. The voice command input was as good as no good and many destinations were not found or recognised. I was good however for music and DVD (whilst stationary). The best feature was the 'Dynamic Route Guidance' which was great for guiding me around traffic issues - IF the MYGig has found the destination! Suffice to say, I used my cell-'phone sat-nav instead.
I changed vehicle this year to a Wrangler JK '12. This was supplied with the base model radio/cd/DVD/Uconnect which is fine as I stream music from an SD card via the Ipod input. (dvd audio files only)
Now just for the sake of interest and curiosity, I went to the dealership and asked how much to supply/install a MYGig in the Wrangler..............wait for it...............Over £2,200.00! Just to save you looking up the exchange rate, that's $3,557.07!!
For something which is good but not great............no thanks.
Now before someone say's ''four digit zip code input is usual, it is not. My Subaru Forester '06 had 7 digit zip code input plus a choice of four english/american voices to take you there. Come on Chrysler/Fiat, it's time to improve the MYGig.
parvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #1403
parvo
2012 JK Wrangler 

There was another annoying issue which I forgot to mention. Sometimes when I activated the sat-nav the volume would be really loud then resume back to music normal volume then very loud when calculating route. This meant I had to keep adjusting the volume of the sat-nav function. That thing drove me mad and I'm glad not to have one now.
parvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #1404
jryano

Ok so I'm having random troubles with my RER. I drove all last week with no troubles and we went to Gatlinburg last weekend and the unit just cut off, like no power, about 5 mins from the cabin. Pulled J13 when we were headed back the next evening and put it back in. Worked fine for about an hour and cut off again. Worked Monday morning/evening, Tuesday morning but not evening, worked Wednesday morning/evening, Thursday morning but stopped at lunch worked Thursday evening, worked Friday morning/evening, worked today and just cut off. Below is what it looks like now. Any ideas??
jryano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #1405
meon2wheels
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryano View Post
Ok so I'm having random troubles with my RER. I drove all last week with no troubles and we went to Gatlinburg last weekend and the unit just cut off, like no power, about 5 mins from the cabin. Pulled J13 when we were headed back the next evening and put it back in. Worked fine for about an hour and cut off again. Worked Monday morning/evening, Tuesday morning but not evening, worked Wednesday morning/evening, Thursday morning but stopped at lunch worked Thursday evening, worked Friday morning/evening, worked today and just cut off. Below is what it looks like now. Any ideas??
I have a similar problem on my RHB. Cleaned connectors, checked pins, found nothing. I also have the LockPick and have not been able to isolate who's causing the problem. Interested in what you find out. Happens to me about once every 3 weeks or so. When my trips off, it blinks randomly like power is being switched on and off - mostly off! Jim.
meon2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #1406
jryano

My RER has literally not worked in probably 4-6 weeks. I don't know if I should try to reinstall the lockpick or reinstall the RES that the Jeep came with. This is the most frustrating thing.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #1407
SirCody
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
This is from the MyGig site that has been down a while, but this is an issue with the RER during that time when it was Posted and made part of a MyGig info sheet....Does this sound like something that yours is doing?

From MyGig Facts Sheet:

Q: MyGIG turns on momentarily and then turns off, continuously by itself. What is wrong?
A: This is most likely is a Hard Disc Drive Juke Box file corruption. There are two root causes both are being
address in future software and hardware releases. Version 9.713 or later of software will prevent this Juke Box file
corruption and should restore your radio after an update.
SirCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #1408
jryano

This is quick overview of my situation.
Jan 2011 - Bought Jeep used, with the RES.
Feb 2012 - Added the brand new RER and Lockpick
Oct 2012 - Decided to put hardtop on for winter. While waiting on my roommates arrival to help lift the hardtop, the battery died from listening to music. Installed the hard top and jumped the Jeep off. First time the MyGig wouldn’t power up. Noticed the fuse was blown and replaced the fuse, but immediately blew again. Obviously a ground somewhere. After removing the radio and examining, there was a small place rubbed on the Lockpick that was grounding. I removed the Lockpick and replaced the fuse and the system worked fine. Within the next few weeks, the MyGig would sometimes power up, sometimes wouldn’t. Sometimes after powering up, it would die randomly. This continued until I found out about pulling the J13 fuse. I pulled it and it would work fine for a little while and go back out. Then one day, it decided to stay on for about a month. In the past 4-6 weeks, even if I remove the J13 fuse and replace it, the system will still not power up. I still have the original RES and the Lockpick. Should I try installing either of them to see if it works?
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #1409
SirCody
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Oct 2012 - Decided to put hardtop on for winter. While waiting on my roommates arrival to help lift the hardtop, the battery died from listening to music. Installed the hard top and jumped the Jeep off. First time the MyGig wouldn’t power up. Noticed the fuse was blown and replaced the fuse, but immediately blew again. Obviously a ground somewhere. After removing the radio and examining, there was a small place rubbed on the Lockpick that was grounding. I removed the Lockpick and replaced the fuse and the system worked fine. Within the next few weeks, the MyGig would sometimes power up, sometimes wouldn’t. Sometimes after powering up, it would die randomly. This continued until I found out about pulling the J13 fuse. I pulled it and it would work fine for a little while and go back out. Then one day, it decided to stay on for about a month. In the past 4-6 weeks, even if I remove the J13 fuse and replace it, the system will still not power up. I still have the original RES and the Lockpick. Should I try installing either of them to see if it works?
You're not the First to Run the Battery down with the Music.....lol...not sure why the Wrangler can't handle it...Never had a Vehicle Die so easy and fast...
I had similiar happen with one of my RER units, battery was at the dying point and went to start it and half way thru the start, Battery Died. Mygig didn't like that, Also had/have Lockpick....1st,
Chrysler products have and still have issues with Electrical, Starter clicks, Gauges going crazy etc....they don't have a protection system to protect devices like the
Computer in our Dash with a Spinning HD and when the MyGig is on, running and the Battery Dies Instantly at that moment or even if there is little power left, as soon as you turn the key,
their design causes Hell. On MyGig it's the same as using your Desktop, no power backup, and you pull the plug while the HD is running, busy etc....Never good....

Try putting RER in without LockPick, Pull Neg Battery cable before starting...see what and how it does and also do alot of checking to see that the Fan in the Unit is running...when you turn key off and the RAP system turns everything off, or make it do it,
The MyGig will still run after all this, and listen for Fan til it shuts down. The MyGig runs even when you haven't turned the key or even put it in the Ignition.
Test this: after Jeep has sit for around 20/30 mins...do it where it is real quite and as you open the door, try to see if you can hear the Mygig make some sounds.
Everytime the door is opened, the unit wakes up etc. If you want to stop this during some other testing, just unplug one door, leave open so you can be in near the dash to hear, and if you are going to be opening the door alot, unplug both doors so the Mygig won't come on and go off etc...
I def would try unit without Lockpick and see if fan is working before you put other unit back in...I will try to help ya all i can and send anything that may help ya....
Have you been into the Engineer's Menu yet?
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #1410
SirCody
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Can you give me the Software Version that is Loaded and the Gracenotes Version Numbers?

Tags
JK Wrangler , my gig , mygig , navigation , navigation system , sound system , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.