MyGig anyone? - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > MyGig anyone?

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #676
Lammer
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
09 and newer mygigs can control an iPod with a cable. You'd run the cable to your glove box, or where ever.
thanks

So from what you're saying is that currently...
one cannot simply plug their "older" ipods into the USB via the ipod charging USB cable (that comes with every iPod) and have the head unit control the iPod?

as an aside it's kind of idiotic that Chrysler would make you fork out even more money to control your ipod via "their" cable, when its being done with the given cable from Apple.

I wonder than what the reason is for the USB? to simply upload music into the hard drive??? seems kind of wasted, why not go the whole ten yards instead of only nine, get my drift?

Unread 03-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #677
hscrugby
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammer View Post
thanks

So from what you're saying is that currently...
one cannot simply plug their "older" ipods into the USB via the ipod charging USB cable (that comes with every iPod) and have the head unit control the iPod?

as an aside it's kind of idiotic that Chrysler would make you fork out even more money to control your ipod via "their" cable, when its being done with the given cable from Apple.

I wonder than what the reason is for the USB? to simply upload music into the hard drive??? seems kind of wasted, why not go the whole ten yards instead of only nine, get my drift?
Lawsuits.
Lawyers at Chyrsler are still paranoid, and with the USB in the center of the dash, you could get hurt in a wreck by the usb key.
Plus, I'd MUCH rather have the iPod in my glovebox, out of sight, out of theifs minds.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #678
Jerzjeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundrc View Post
It's great. I've had it for about 3 weeks and 2400 miles. It is very intuitive. Hard drive is neat. It has plenty of space for the music I want to listen to. The Satellite system (Sirius) works great. The Navigation system is good. It is probably not the best all in one system you can buy. But, you really can't hardly touch another one that is built in for the price and have the features this has, plus a 3 year warranty.

My only complaints are:

1) you can not move the map on the Navigation system, other than zoom in and out, when you are moving. The system I have in my Grand Cherokee let's me do that, place the cursor on the location I want to go to and program the route. But, I'm getting used to this deficiency.

2) like everyone, I want U-connect to be functional. It isn't. Of course, if it were, it would have cost several hundred dollars more. My personal feelings, despite everything that has been said and written previously, are that DCX is going to make aftermarket parts available eventually to allow the system to operate. The connection is on the back of the radio. All we really need is the wiring harness, module and mic. There are stand-alone aftermarket systems out there that would work fairly well, but I want the controls on my radio to work and don't want to have to fool with keeping a seperate unit charged.

Some have bought the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 and it is a terrific unit. Can do it all. But, again you are looking at well above $2k with all the varous modules, unless you can install it yourself. I've got a Pioneer AVIC-N2 (several generations ago model) in my TJ. It's a good unit. No complaints.

But, if you've ordered the MyGig and understood it's limitations when you ordered it, I think you'll be very very happy.
You can have the u-connect for the price of a mic. I got mine on ebay for $40 and it was a Mopar mic. This one on this site is cheaper

This is how to take the dash apart. You do not need the Lockpick to get u-connect. Just a mic.

http://www.coastaletech.com/WRANGLER_INSTALL.htm

Here is the mic install. It's that easy!!!!

http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG_MICROPHONE.htm
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #679
Jerzjeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think this is the Ipod cable we need,but I am not sure. the $90 one. I will call this week to see and if it is I am going to get it. This will make the ipod work from the radio and it will stay in the glovebox and be charged at the same time. I put 4oo+ albums into the hard drive just to find out yiou get the music from the artist in alphabetical order and not by the album playlist. If I have 5 Led Zep albums they all merge together and play alphabetically. I would rather the ipod connection. I will let everyone know when I find out.
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #680
Lammer
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Lawsuits.
Lawyers at Chyrsler are still paranoid, and with the USB in the center of the dash, you could get hurt in a wreck by the usb key.
Plus, I'd MUCH rather have the iPod in my glovebox, out of sight, out of theifs minds.

ooh!
The SYNC/NAV unit has the the USB port, and the LINE in, along with another powerpoint all hidden in the center console.
I would agree that having the iPod hidden is key!

Can someone post a pic of the '09 MyGig head unit with the USB port?
Unread 03-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #681
hscrugby
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammer View Post
ooh!
The SYNC/NAV unit has the the USB port, and the LINE in, along with another powerpoint all hidden in the center console.
I would agree that having the iPod hidden is key!

Can someone post a pic of the '09 MyGig head unit with the USB port?
The 09 mygig looks identical to the other ones.
But in the back, there is a cable coming off, (easiest to run) to the glove box.
It has the iPod plug on it.
The cars I've seen with the Sync just had the USB basically on the front, so you ended up setting your iPod up ontop of the dash or somewhere else not really hidden.
Unread 03-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #682
ohiost8te

Sirius Radio....

Hey guys,

I have an 07 Sahara with the 6 disc and satellite radio. I am looking to buy a mygig this week.....will I have to renew my subscription to Sirius or does it switch over? I dont want to have to pay for another subscription, I want to use my current account (its only 4 months old)...Also, will my current radio work in my wifes 06 Commander? If so, I will just give it to her...

Scott

Last edited by ohiost8te; 03-14-2009 at 08:49 PM..
ohiost8te is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #683
hscrugby
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost8te View Post
Hey guys,

I have an 07 Sahara with the 6 disc and satellite radio. I am looking to buy a mygig this week.....will I have to renew my subscription to Sirius or does it switch over? I dont want to have to pay for another subscription, I want to use my current account (its only 4 months old)...Also, will my current radio work in my wifes 06 Commander? If so, I will just give it to her...

Scott
First, when you put the mygig in, it might still have some of it's 1 year activation left. If so, leave it alone. If it dies before your year is up, call then. Don't tell them you put in a new radio, just say it stopped working, they'll ask to verify the number, you'll give them the new one. If you want to "transfer" it, sometimes they charge. Fix a clerical error with the wrong SN, is free

Your current radio will NOT work in your wife's commander. Different speed bus.
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #684
srtpusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost8te View Post
Hey guys,

Scott
it switches... i switched my lifetime from my Durango to my Jeep.
srtpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #685
Av8terZ06
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hopefully this may help a few people if they run into this problem. I just bought my 2009 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara which has the MyGig. I was trying to copy some mp3 songs from my computer to the MyGig via USB drive. Well, after inserting the USB drive into the MyGig and after trying to copy the music, I kept getting the "No Music Available on Device for Copying" statement and read on the internet that some others were getting it as well. After trying a few ways of copying the music to the USB and reading the manual, nothing would work. The only conclusion I could think of was the way the USB stick was formatted. I had it formatted in NTSF. So I went to my computer and reformatted it in FAT32 and then it worked perfectly. So if anyone else is having this problem, try that and see what happens. I also have the latest firmware 1.055.

2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Sold
1994 Jeep Wrangler Renegade - Sold
Av8terZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #686
hscrugby
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8terZ06 View Post
Hopefully this may help a few people if they run into this problem. I just bought my 2009 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara which has the MyGig. I was trying to copy some mp3 songs from my computer to the MyGig via USB drive. Well, after inserting the USB drive into the MyGig and after trying to copy the music, I kept getting the "No Music Available on Device for Copying" statement and read on the internet that some others were getting it as well. After trying a few ways of copying the music to the USB and reading the manual, nothing would work. The only conclusion I could think of was the way the USB stick was formatted. I had it formatted in NTSF. So I went to my computer and reformatted it in FAT32 and then it worked perfectly. So if anyone else is having this problem, try that and see what happens. I also have the latest firmware 1.055.
Latest firmware is 9.807.
Not 1.055.
that being said, MS likes charging for ntfs, so lots of things require fat32. That said, as crappy as it is, this is actually in the manual
(Or at least it used to be. I haven't looked at the newer revisions of the mygig manual in a long time.)

But good point to bring up, as most people wouldn't even think about checking that.
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #687
BadTime

Quote:
Latest firmware is 9.807.
Not 1.055.
that being said, MS likes charging for ntfs, so lots of things require fat32. That said, as crappy as it is, this is actually in the manual
(Or at least it used to be. I haven't looked at the newer revisions of the mygig manual in a long time.)

But good point to bring up, as most people wouldn't even think about checking that.
How sure are you of that? My dealer said that all 09 are coming out with the 1.055. He did say the firmware is the same they just renumbered for the new model year.
BadTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #688
KatSass
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTime View Post
How sure are you of that? My dealer said that all 09 are coming out with the 1.055. He did say the firmware is the same they just renumbered for the new model year.
My dealer said the same as yours. My '09 Rubicon purchased 2/09 with the RER NAV radio has the 1.055. I read where there is a new version out this month but it isn't available on the MOPAR website. That version is v. NTG4 1.220, p/n 68056387AB.

k s
KatSass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #689
hscrugby
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your dealers are 100% wrong.

1.055 has "most" of the features/bug fixes that 9.807 has. It's not very different, unlike for the 07/08s going to 9.807, where you get a newly optimized renderer, but it is different.
(Not just because it's smart enough to work on 09+ and 08/07 models)

As for the other release, yes, there will be a new release soon'ish. It hasn't been released yet.
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #690
srtpusher

i really want the ability to make my own playlists in the mygig and not have to upload them as playlists. it sucks that the old version had this and they took it out.
srtpusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
JK Wrangler , my gig , mygig , navigation , navigation system , sound system , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.