Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
295K views 1K replies 313 participants last post by  rickou812 
#1 ·
I ordered a MyGig with my Jeep - just wanted to know if anyone has got it yet and how is it?

#53 ·
I've read a bit on these mygig units, apparantly they've got a QNX based os on them (http://www.qnx.com) I wonder what the possiblity is of upgrading them to a larger hard drive?

Oh, and BTW, I noticed www.justforjeeps.com has these guys in stock for 1600, a bit pricey, I'll stick to using my nokia n800 for gps and ipod for music for now

#55 ·
MyGig is fantastic

Now that the problem I was having with MyGig is resolved, I am finding it to be a fantastic navigation unit/media player. I just became aware that it is produced by Harman-Kardon. I listen to music at home on my Harman-Kardon receiver which is 35 years old, still producing great sound and never had a problem.

#57 · (Edited)
aristobrat said:
How did they end up fixing it?
Big hammer :rofl:
Yea, HK made it for them.
It really is an impressive unit.
It could do SOO much more if it wasn't for some of the stupid rules.
I hate that you can't trust people not to be retarded, so they have to limit how you can use it to keep from getting sued.

As for fixing it, it's fixed :D Just some setup menus basically.
(Real question is, will the dealership let you keep the bad part when they get the new one in. Hehe. I'm sure someone would buy it from you. :rofl: )

#58 ·
Good Information

I received terrific help from these folks. Could not have been nicer or more helpful. So, if you are having any issues with MyGig e-mail them at this

address:MyGIG@harmanbecker.com :wave:

#60 ·
IMO (and I'm not very gifted or patient when it comes to things like this), it's a piece of cake to install the MyGig.

It's fairly easy to remove the dash trim, then it's only 4 more screws to take the old radio out and replace it with the MyGig. The GPS antenna installs on top of the radio mount, so that's super easy to.

Total time for me was about 15 minutes, and most of that was because I was being anal about not want to put too much pressure on the dash trim when removing it. There is a thread around (check for a link at the beginning of this thread) that show how to take the dash apart.

I bought my MyGig from eBay, and it came w/ the GPS antenna. It replaced the 6-disc + Sirius factory radio my JK came with, so I didn't have to worry about installing any of the Sirius stuff myself.

#61 ·
okay great, im used to doing interior modification stuff, from my own car that i wont reveal because i would probably get run out of town, and i wont have a problem with the trim stuff.

is it just a matter of plugging in the wiring harness and mounting the antennae? I also have the facory sirius, does that connect back into the mygig?

#62 ·
JohnnyBighead said:
okay great, im used to doing interior modification stuff, from my own car that i wont reveal because i would probably get run out of town, and i wont have a problem with the trim stuff.

is it just a matter of plugging in the wiring harness and mounting the antennae? I also have the facory sirius, does that connect back into the mygig?
YUP same plugs

#65 ·
JohnnyBighead said:
thats what i like to hear, we are really leaning towards the mygig, how does the stored music play? is it just a long list of stuff or can you break it down into folders?
As you install it from a CD it breaks it into a playlist. Usually whatever the CD is titled just like you would view the names on your computer.

Because I am cheap at times, I borrow CD's from my friends for about 15 minutes and upload them on the MYGIG and give it back, they say I thought you wanted to use it,,,hehehehe I did, I copied it onto my stereo already :laugh: :thumbsup:

You can edit the names of the playlists and songs if you like and delete individual songs as well, I found it quicker and easier to copy the entire CD and delete the songs I dont like if there are alot of good songs on the CD

#67 ·
Hey folks, just wanted to add my bit on Mygig. we totally love it. I didn't want it at first, but it was in the jeep that had the other options we wanted... bonus for us!

the Nav is far superior to my former 2004 Cadillac SRX Nav system, that thing was aweful. love the road under construction notices, very accurate right to the door!

They did a really nice job with this product. the USB and jack on the front are very welcome additions to any stock system.

#68 · (Edited)
OK... I've just got my 2007 Sahara with the MyGig and I must say, so far I am not that impressed. My GPS Nav is off A LOT! I was driving to the boat ramp on Sunday crossing the bridge and it showed that I was driving 1/8 of a mile off the bridge and driving through the water, which I wasn't...:laugh:
And then today, I'm driving down I-95 South and I look and the NAV and it shows that I am driving West and then turning East then making circles all while continuing to drive straight and south. I then turned it off and back on, with no change. It finally got back on track almost 45 minutes later after the screen flashed to solid blue and then it was back on track.
I also don't like that when I save a location that it doesn't allow me to give it a title or specific location. And why when on Sirius can't you save a favorite song playing like on XM?
I know that I am still leaning it but I am very familar with Garmin GPS's and I find this one very basic and challenging. I haven't given up on it yet, but I am not sure I would spend the $1500 on it again.... OK I've thought about it and no I wouldn't spend the money on it again...

Ben

#70 ·
Ben Hedrick said:
OK... I've just got my 2007 Sahara with the MyGig and I must say, so far I am not that impressed. My GPS Nav is off A LOT! I was driving to the boat ramp on Sunday crossing the bridge and it showed that I was driving 1/8 of a mile off the bridge and driving through the water, which I wasn't...:laugh:
And then today, I'm driving down I-95 South and I look and the NAV and it shows that I am driving West and then turning East then making circles all while continuing to drive straight and south. I then turned it off and back on, with no change. It finally got back on track almost 45 minutes later after the screen flashed to solid blue and then it was back on track.
Ben
Sounds like you've got a fishy unit. I'd wait awhile longer and if it still doesn't know where you are going I'd go back to the dealer. I've had very good luck with mine, it's much better than the portable GPS unit I've got. I do wish it would let me browse the POI's while I'm moving but I understand that's a safety thing. The satelite radio is very nice as well but it does lose the signal quite a bit.

#72 ·
DieselJK said:
Sounds like you've got a fishy unit. I'd wait awhile longer and if it still doesn't know where you are going I'd go back to the dealer. I've had very good luck with mine, it's much better than the portable GPS unit I've got. I do wish it would let me browse the POI's while I'm moving but I understand that's a safety thing. The satelite radio is very nice as well but it does lose the signal quite a bit.
My MyGig is totally not working correctly. Last night again while driving straight, the cursor just took off and ran a big 100 mile loop around and near Orlando all while I was still traveling straight. I took it to the dealer today and they are bringing in the local Jeep rep to look into the problem. I'll update this thread once I know more.

#73 ·
your unit sounds damaged!

there are a few folks on this post that mention the same issue ,it was either a reset or a replacement. My unit works perfectly, so far, always right on the road, and all that stuff.

Sirius: I know what you are saying with the favorite song feature. sirius does it, but so far, I have not found out how to do it on 'this' unit. When I had a portable player, I could simply do that with a push of a button.

bk

#74 ·
for the Myiggers who have problems with the GPS - i think that is definitely a glitch. you should not have to sit with the jeep on waiting for it to acquire your location. i just get in an go in mine and it works perfectly. also, i havent run in to any missing roads but that may just be my area. im interested to see if Ben gets his unit fixed. i hope you get everything worked out because i think it is a great unit overal. i still cant figure out how to pause a song when its playing on the HD though ha. any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.