MyGig anyone? - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > MyGig anyone?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #136
BigTrace
2007 JK Wrangler 

My first Impressions

MyGig Reviewed:

Having purchased a Sahara JK Unlimited last Monday the 1st, I’ve had about 10 days now to play with and use the MyGig which I was VERY excited about. I am however, disappointed with the system. Those that are waiting for Rubi’s or Sahara’s on order due to MyGig availability I think will be disappointed as well.

My background is somewhat techie having been raised on PC’s going back 20+ years now where a 20MB disk was considered HUGE. I tend to like tech gadgets, TV’s etc. like most of you so again I was anxious to get my hands on this unit.

My disappointment exists on many levels. The Nav system, HDD, and Screen functions are very non-intuitive and do not allow for much customization. I’ll start with the HDD feature. Loading in music was pretty easy and somewhat quick. I finally ended up using a USB key which seemed the easiest. I started with an SD card using a card reader but that didn’t work. It might be due to the fact that my card reader looks like 4 different drives when plugged in. Maybe the USB interface can’t recognize more than 1 drive ie the USB key working. Ripping CD’s was simple, however, the sound quality was somewhat lackluster after ripped. For instance, I could listen to a CD, yet when I listened to the same song(s) on the HDD, I noticed some “Popping” and other strange noises not heard on the CD. Not every song, but a few nonetheless. MP3’s that I had on my computer transferred just fine, but several songs (about 10%) popped like crazy, even at low levels. They don’t do that in my IPOD or my computer directly, so it must be something in the transfer process. The disc space is well used and I found I had more than 18 gigs of free space. Playlists were another issue. You had to have your songs organized prior to loading them. For instance, if you want to listen to “Rock” songs versus “Country” songs, you should organize them within folders prior to loading them into the MyGig. You should also change the song tags if you want MyGig to organize them for you into different Genres. If you don’t, there isn’t a way (that I found at least) to organize your songs into different playlists once the song is placed into the MyGig. If you just load in a bunch of songs it will put them all in the root drive and leave them there!, hence my frustration. Another issue is when you rip CD’s, you have to rip the entire disc, then go back and delete songs. This is a waste of time and causes fragmentation in your drive. Why didn’t they create a screen BEFORE the rip where you could pick out the song titles you wanted to rip??

I didn’t use the Nav system too much, but from what I did use, I didn’t find it intuitive either. I come from a Garmin background having used a C330 and now a Nuvi 680. In the MyGig, if you place an address in the system for later use, you can’t immediately save it. My wife and I travel a lot and frequently place addresses into our Garmins and save the address for when we get to where we’re going, then light it off. This thing wants you to save the location AFTER you get there or create a contact person. Again, I haven’t had too much experience with it yet, but from the little I do have, it seems backwards.

The screen is nice especially the touch screen features, but when you can only see 4 radio stations at a time or better yet, 3 song titles via the list feature, it doesn’t help too much. There is too much screen there not to be able to see and do more things from the main screen. For instance, to adjust the audio controls, you need to hit the “Menu” hard key, followed by the “Equalizer” soft-button, followed by increasing 1 of 3 levels for either the Bass, Mid-Range, or High (tweeter) range. By the time you go through all of that, you could be rear ending the guy in front of you. Then you need to hit “Done” about 3 times or so just to get back out to the main menu. Deleting songs from the HDD is even worse. The sequence of “Menu (Hard-Button)”, “My Files”, “Playlists”, then scrolling to find the correct list (3 lists at a time of course), hitting the “Edit” button, then finding the song(s) to delete, hitting the “delete” key, then hitting the “Yes, I’m Sure” key to confirm seems a little overboard. You would think they would have an area where you could just “Add” or “Delete” songs at will. Again, just not very intuitive.

My neighbor is about to get his Rubi without the MyGig (just due to stock on hand and time constraints) and he wants to buy my MyGig from me. I think I’m going to have to take him up on it and get something that makes sense. It was a good attempt, but I’d like to see iteration 2 or 3 before I went down this path again.

Sorry for my rant.. I mean “Review”

BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #137
amr42
2007 JK Wrangler 

MyGig - mic, BT and VR enabled

For those that are not aware, Mopar are bringing out an add on microphone with a software update that will enable the Voice Recognition and Bluetooth on the MyGig for the JK. I have been testing this out for about 3 weeks now - and it works like a charm. Roof and windows down at up to 40 MPH with no wind noise. In fact the mic performs better than my personal bluetooth headset for cell phone conversations. Voice recognition is easy to use also. I love the integration. Not sure when and what price Mopar are going to set this at - but it finally unleashes everything the MyGig was meant to do for JK owners!
amr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #138
naplesrubicon
2008 JK Wrangler 

wow good lookin man thanks for the info ........
i have been waiting to hear that for quite some time..... also on another (not as good) forum someone is giving out a link for a software update for the gig
its suppose to fix everything thats wrong with the gig now all we need is video in motion without the aftermarket add on....
naplesrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #139
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amr42
For those that are not aware, Mopar are bringing out an add on microphone with a software update that will enable the Voice Recognition and Bluetooth on the MyGig for the JK.
Where does the microphone mount?
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #140
lazerpunk

Quote:
For those that are not aware, Mopar are bringing out an add on microphone with a software update that will enable the Voice Recognition and Bluetooth on the MyGig for the JK. I have been testing this out for about 3 weeks now - and it works like a charm. Roof and windows down at up to 40 MPH with no wind noise. In fact the mic performs better than my personal bluetooth headset for cell phone conversations. Voice recognition is easy to use also. I love the integration. Not sure when and what price Mopar are going to set this at - but it finally unleashes everything the MyGig was meant to do for JK owners!
Part #'s Please

2012 Unlimited Rubicon, Crush, Auto, Dual Top, 430N w/nav, Max Tow
lazerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #141
gravely_todd
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naplesrubicon
wow good lookin man thanks for the info ........
i have been waiting to hear that for quite some time..... also on another (not as good) forum someone is giving out a link for a software update for the gig
its suppose to fix everything thats wrong with the gig now all we need is video in motion without the aftermarket add on....
What is the web address for the updates ?

Todd
gravely_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #142
naplesrubicon
2008 JK Wrangler 

ok i tried to email becker 2 times a week apart with the mygig@ blah blah blah email address i used a proper business emil address i was nice and polite i didnt ask for anything in particular i used my spell checker since i cant spell and they wont respond (yes i even checked the junk folders just in case) and the people that have had contact with them wont give up contact info are these people gods?? drug lords?? nsa?? can someone (who doesnt think they are above everyone run down off the becker i am better than you hill ) and give up some contact info
Unread 10-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #143
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure the email address is in the begining of this thread. Try looking for it.
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #144
kevinb0127

Can anyone tell me how to make the MP3 files play in the album order from the Hard Drive? Having no luck figuring this out. I checked that song info has the correct number in the song field but I can find anywhere in the interface to make them play in the order they were intended on the CD.

Of course I haven't read the manual so hopefully I am not being too ignorant.

First time poster so be gentle...
kevinb0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #145
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
ok i tried to email becker 2 times a week apart with the mygig@ blah blah blah email address i used a proper business emil address i was nice and polite i didnt ask for anything in particular i used my spell checker since i cant spell and they wont respond (yes i even checked the junk folders just in case) and the people that have had contact with them wont give up contact info are these people gods?? drug lords?? nsa?? can someone (who doesnt think they are above everyone run down off the becker i am better than you hill ) and give up some contact info
The only contact information I used was the email address. I explained the problem my MyGig was having, they asked me to email them back with the version numbers of things on my MyGig, and then a day or two later I got an upgrade CD.

There was no contact information exchanged outside of email, other than my shipping address. (i.e. I never got their address or phone number). I suppose their return address was on the FedEx envelope, but I didn't keep it.

The problem with my MyGig actually cleared up on its own before the CD got there. I upgraded anyway and have noticed nothing new/different/better about my MyGig, other than the version numbers have changed. If anything was fixed, it's "behind the scenes", or in an area of the MyGig that I never noticed to be broken.

What exactly are you trying to get from them?
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #146
mca1977jpsnet

Quote:
For those that are not aware, Mopar are bringing out an add on microphone with a software update that will enable the Voice Recognition and Bluetooth on the MyGig for the JK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat
Where does the microphone mount?
The acceccory Bluetooth they have for a JK is the same as a KA (Nitro). They don't warrent handsfree in a Jeep Convertible; even though they have one for a Sebring comfortable?? Go figure!?! The hands free that is out now will not work with RER Nav systems. They are working on one now. In addition they have a hands free / Ipod integration kit in the works. When it comes out, who knows??

The mic on a JK would have to mount on the sunvisor I assume?
mca1977jpsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #147
naplesrubicon
2008 JK Wrangler 

all i am trying to do is have a mygig with mopar bluetooth and dvd in motion
without using 3rd party ghetto add on's all i need is the mopar bluetooth kit and some sort of software that mimics the starscan or drb3 tool used by the dealer its very simple i just need someone to give up the disc from becker
Unread 10-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #148
lazerpunk

What do you think the starscan will do for you? It has been well documented that all it does is let you choose either to play video while in Park only or not play video at all. If it were as easy as a plugging in a starscan I'm sure some Tech at the dealership that owns a MyGig would have already tried it.

2012 Unlimited Rubicon, Crush, Auto, Dual Top, 430N w/nav, Max Tow
lazerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #149
hscrugby
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
without using 3rd party ghetto add on's all i need is the mopar bluetooth kit and some sort of software that mimics the starscan or drb3 tool used by the dealer its very simple i just need someone to give up the disc from becker

Well,
Before you go blasting them a new one, remember that email was setup as a favor to people on here having ISSUES with their mygig. They are NOT under contract to provide support via email even FOR people having problems.
In fact, it's not really supposed to be known that Harman developed the radio. (Stupid OEM requirements.)
That being said, the people I have met over there take their job very seriously and have a lot of pride in the products they have released. Understandably, it's a very nice product. For me, I think the mygig IS very intuitive and I like how it's menus and nav features work. I do agree sometimes it seems to take a few steps to do something that should be done in one, BUT it also keeps the buttons bigger, (less likely to fat finger something) it "cleans" the menu choices, and keeps people from doing "accidental" deletes.

If you want to make your mygig do something it was not supposed to in your vehicle, feel free to crack it open, make with the test points, tweak the software etc etc. Should be simple enough to make it think it's in another car that has the items.

Sorry.

And yes, I am biased as I do have a personal connection with them. I just don't want to regret asking him to setup that email address. (Well, I don't want my wife beating me for having people send nasty emails to her dad)
There are a lot of things that the unit can do, BUT as the mfg if they allow you to watch video while moving, THEY WILL BE LIABLE if you mow down a row of school children while watching Brokeback Mountain.

So please, be polite, and only email them with problems. Not asking for them to possibly violate contracts with Chrysler, or have liability issues.

Thanks, and cheers
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #150
JYogi
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well good luck.
You can't do it.
Mopar can't allow that due to liability so start looking at other options.
No OEM will release a car/truck/jeep etc that will allow the front seat
to watch a movie while in motion, its against the law.

Quote:

Tags
JK Wrangler , my gig , mygig , navigation , navigation system , sound system , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.