Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
295K views 1K replies 313 participants last post by  rickou812 
#1 ·
I ordered a MyGig with my Jeep - just wanted to know if anyone has got it yet and how is it?

#2 ·
cpunter said:
I ordered a MyGig with my Jeep - just wanted to know if anyone has got it yet and how is it?
I've had it for three weeks and so far I like it quite a bit.
The nav system works well, and I listen to podcasts which I download directly into the mygig via a usb key.

It does have an aux audio jack, but a dedicated ipod jack would have been welcome. This would have allowed the ipod to be controlled via the mygig.

Steering wheel controls would also have been nice (my wife's Acura has this).

#3 ·
Went into a jeep dealership today to ask if they had anything with MyGig so I could see it to add to my JK. I tried to explain what MyGig and they kept telling me they had the 2007 Nav System's on the lot. After seeing the units and how they are not MyGig I said thanks for your time. They were completely clueless about MyGig.

#4 ·
spolebitski said:
Went into a jeep dealership today to ask if they had anything with MyGig so I could see it to add to my JK. I tried to explain what MyGig and they kept telling me they had the 2007 Nav System's on the lot. After seeing the units and how they are not MyGig I said thanks for your time. They were completely clueless about MyGig.
I've had the same experience calling dealers inquiring about mygig and how to order it..clueless

#5 ·
What is the price of MyGig?

#6 ·
I picked mine up Friday...Dealer said it was the first MyGig they've had delivered so far, but I'm in Canada and it wasn't released for ordering up here until about a month after the U.S. could order.

I haven't had a chance to explore it too much but have to say so far I'm very happy with it.

BTW, $1770 is MSRP in Canada

#7 ·
Dealers locally knew of MyGIG but nobody was ordering them and they had none on the lot. As an option it's something like $1,500, as a part it's more like $2,100. Aftermarket products run about a grand, though a few are in the $1,500-$1,800 range. Pioneer's AVIC is popular, so is JVC's but it doesn't fit the factory dash opening.

Jeff

#9 ·
cpunter said:
It's great. I've had it for about 3 weeks and 2400 miles. It is very intuitive. Hard drive is neat. It has plenty of space for the music I want to listen to. The Satellite system (Sirius) works great. The Navigation system is good. It is probably not the best all in one system you can buy. But, you really can't hardly touch another one that is built in for the price and have the features this has, plus a 3 year warranty.

My only complaints are:

1) you can not move the map on the Navigation system, other than zoom in and out, when you are moving. The system I have in my Grand Cherokee let's me do that, place the cursor on the location I want to go to and program the route. But, I'm getting used to this deficiency.

2) like everyone, I want U-connect to be functional. It isn't. Of course, if it were, it would have cost several hundred dollars more. My personal feelings, despite everything that has been said and written previously, are that DCX is going to make aftermarket parts available eventually to allow the system to operate. The connection is on the back of the radio. All we really need is the wiring harness, module and mic. There are stand-alone aftermarket systems out there that would work fairly well, but I want the controls on my radio to work and don't want to have to fool with keeping a seperate unit charged.

Some have bought the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 and it is a terrific unit. Can do it all. But, again you are looking at well above $2k with all the varous modules, unless you can install it yourself. I've got a Pioneer AVIC-N2 (several generations ago model) in my TJ. It's a good unit. No complaints.

But, if you've ordered the MyGig and understood it's limitations when you ordered it, I think you'll be very very happy.

#678 ·
#10 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I just got my Jeep this Friday. I have my gig, it's awesome. Love everything about it!:2thumbsup: I don't understand why the u connect doesn't come with it, when it's set up for it. But, it does rock! Easy to use, works well with the radio. The only thing I had a problem with was downloading music from my ipod. I just think it'll take a bit to figure out. :shhh: I was lucky with this jeep. Someone ordered it back in October and got tired of waiting for it. I just happened to walk in at the right time. :teehee: I did wait a month, but that's nothing compared to the horror stories I've heard. I have a 3 year old son, and he loves watching the map on the my gig. I also have to say I was worried about the safety of the vehicle. I used to have a 99 Sahara, and used to get pushed aroung a bit with the wind. This is nothing compared to that. This baby is solid! I love it, and I am so glad they came out with this for the jeep lovers who now have a family. :wave:

#11 ·
Babsicles said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I just got my Jeep this Friday. I have my gig, it's awesome. Love everything about it!:2thumbsup: I don't understand why the u connect doesn't come with it, when it's set up for it. But, it does rock! Easy to use, works well with the radio. The only thing I had a problem with was downloading music from my ipod. I just think it'll take a bit to figure out. :shhh: I was lucky with this jeep. Someone ordered it back in October and got tired of waiting for it. I just happened to walk in at the right time. :teehee: I did wait a month, but that's nothing compared to the horror stories I've heard. I have a 3 year old son, and he loves watching the map on the my gig. I also have to say I was worried about the safety of the vehicle. I used to have a 99 Sahara, and used to get pushed aroung a bit with the wind. This is nothing compared to that. This baby is solid! I love it, and I am so glad they came out with this for the jeep lovers who now have a family. :wave:
You will have a great deal of trouble "downloading music" from your IPOD.
If you bought the songs on Itunes the songs are "M4P" files protected with DRM (Digital Rights Management) and the MyGig will not be able to play them.

You CAN however hook up the audio output of your Ipod to the aux jack on the front of the mygig and listen to the music from the ipod.

If the songs are MP3 files (that you ripped from a CD outside of Itunes, for example) you *might* be able to load it from the Ipod to the mygig's hard drive, but it will be tricky, since the ipod is pretty much designed to prevent you from dong this.

What I do, is transfer the files to a cheap usb-key drive, plug it into the USB port on the front of the mygig and then downloading is a snap.

#12 ·
spolebitski said:
Haha. Same experience here. Does anyone have information on damage and theft of the LCD screen up front? Does it detach so you can remove it when you park somewhere?

#14 ·
spolebitski said:
I'm confused. I don't know of any other factory nav system offered for the '07 Wrangler other than the MyGig. Are you sure that what you saw was not a mygig?

P.S. I have a MyGig and it does not say "MyGig" anywhere on it.

#17 ·
Rainuck said:
there is something listed as a Trailguide Navigation System in the back of the Brochure...it is just GPs though...no idea what it looks like...was there a NAV offering in the TJ?

On another note...anyone tried to go the website in the Mygig manual for updates? It doesn't work. I sent a message to DC but haven't heard a reply yet

www.chrysler.com/mygig/ is what's in the manual
Copy can be found at: http://jeep.i-thrash.net/bin/MYGIG.pdf

Thanks to JKBOARD

#19 ·
i have had a mygig for several weeks and really like it. there are several things i do not like

1) when playing a song of the HD there doesnt seem to be any way to pause it, instead you have to turn of the entire mygig.

2) every time i start a new nav route i have to go into "nav settings" and turn off the audio prompts.

3) like people were saying above, it is pretty unprotected. i have had the top off for several days and have basically just been putting a trash bag over it when i leave. it wont be long till thieves figure out how to get past this complicvated security device.

finally- for those of you dying for unconnect: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...006QQitemZ160111300623QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

#20 ·
So why is this so hard?

It looks like this device on EBay is just a noise cancelling mike and an Amp. If this works, why so expensive - and why isn't it available anywhere else?

#21 ·
It looks like it actually integrates with myGIG and adds the missing features of U-Connect - though I don't see (from the pictures) whether or not it actually adds voice recognition or the address book ... I just posted a question to the seller on it ...

Wily

#22 ·
Keep us posted

wilyliam said:
It looks like it actually integrates with myGIG and adds the missing features of U-Connect - though I don't see (from the pictures) whether or not it actually adds voice recognition or the address book ... I just posted a question to the seller on it ...

Wily
Thank you - I had the same questions. Can you please post when you get the response? I am very anxious to get those features activated.

Thanks!!!

#23 ·
Got my answer from the seller:

Item: Jeep Wrangler Bluetooth and voice recognition for MyGIG (160111300623)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
nav-tv is the seller.

Hi Will !
I have a 2007 JK myself :)
Yes, All features work - Voice recognition, Bluetooth, Address
book. Check www (dot) nav-tv.com/download/chrysler/
BlueGIG.pdf for the installation instructions. You'll find that all
teh features in your MyGIG owners manual work as intended !
Moni 561-400-4444

So I went ahead and bought one! I called the number posted on the auction to see about a dealer referral, because I'm not really interested in LEARNING to solder on my new Jeep - turns out they have a dealer in La Jolla (about 15miles from me) - so within a couple weeks, I should have this thing installed, and can render an opinion! I'm running my Jeep with a Freedom Top - so I expect it to work when the top is up and MAYBE it might be acceptable with the "sunroof" portion out - I don't imagine it would be worth much with the top completely off whist flying along at 70 ...

Wily

#25 ·
A few minor things...first, let me apologize because I haven't really had time to go over the manual.

1) is there no way to delete individual songs from the HDD...mine seems to only give the option to delete ALL music...odd.

2) Has anyone experienced song disappearing from the hdd. I ripped one cd in and a song was there for a couple of days and then vanished...I lost the first three tracks from that CD.

3) Updates: the website listed in the manual for updates to the MyGig doesn't work...I e-mailed DC but got no reply...has ayone found OS or gracenote updates available...gracenote fails to recognize many new cd's and I haven't seen where you can input track info.

Again, apologies if all this is in the manual...I'm being lazy posting here as I haven't found time to read it yet.

Thanks

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.