My turn to build... DIY JK Snorkel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My turn to build... DIY JK Snorkel

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinLedlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 01-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

My turn to build... DIY JK Snorkel

Ok, this is a fun project. It’s very time consuming, but turned out very well.

First you have to make a foam plug to get your shape. I chose to use insulation sheets from Sutherlands.

Cut about 4 or 5, 5" inch strips and glue them together with a hot glue gun:

Then you just begin to shape your block using a rasp to the shape you want your snorkel to look like in the end. I recommend that you go about .75 of an inch smaller in diameter than you want because you are going to be adding fiberglass and Bondo later in the process:

Keep shaping until you get the right look, then make your upper piece.

Now go tape off the section around your air box in preparation for a fiberglass mold:

Wrap your plug with fiberglass chop mat. I used small staples to hold the chop mat in place. I would NOT recommend that as they did not come apart like I planned later in the process...grrr.

Lay mat around your air box. Oh...I forgot to mention before you lay any mat give your tape a good once over with Johnsons floor paste wax. This will allow the setup fiberglass to release easily:

Lay your fiberglass resin on your air box and your plug:

Once the fiberglass on the intake box has setup; remove and trim to a neat shape:

Join the plug and the platform you just made together. I used small wire across the top to give the fiberglass something to sit on while it dried and place a heavy object on the snorkel body:

Ok, now that your plug has dried you will need to find the center line and cut it down its center to be able to pull the two half’s apart. This is where those stupid little staples were a VERY bad idea. Anyway, long story short I could not just simply pull the fiberglass off the plug because of those staples, so I ended up destroying my plug to get the half’s apart:

Profile of the JK fender area:

The two halves apart and cleaned out:

While you have them apart, insert and fiberglass in place metal strips, this will be where you will mount the brackets to mount on the jeep to later on:

Taped together to fiberglass together again:

Begin laying your fiberglass over one section of thin chop mat. You won't need much because later on you will be using bondo to smooth everything over:

First of many layers of bondo:

Rutdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Snorkel continued

Ok..now you need to make a piece that the pre-filter will attach to. I was not able to find the correct diameter plastic pipe I needed so I had to make one. I used a 3" ID pipe for a plug and fiber glassed the outside:

Primed and wet sanded to be able to see the high and low spots still:

Add your mounting brackets you made out of 16 gauge steel to your snorkel. In these locations is the metal you inserted earlier to be able to drill and tap holes for these screws:

Add the section you made earlier to the top of your snorkel and then attach the snorkel to the Jeep using your mounting locations. Once you have it on and bolted down be very careful to make sure your tube is plum vertically and horizontally. Once you get it plum make a line so you can recreate it on your bench:

Bring back to your bench, line everything up, and trim to length and sand bondo smooth:

Test fit with pre-filter attached:

I took off the S-tube from my air box and attached it to the snorkel:

Trim Bezel:

Here are pics of the snorkel on the Jeep:

There it is guys..finished product.
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Snorkel Continued

Reserved for more pics
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wow brother, that's quite a project....I will definitely stay tuned in for the finish...lol
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Wow brother, that's quite a project....I will definitely stay tuned in for the finish...lol
Me too..if I ever get the silly thing done..lol. This is one of the those projects that just won't go away..lol
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderMonkey View Post
Me too..if I ever get the silly thing done..lol. This is one of the those projects that just won't go away..lol
I think you have the upper hand on it for sure....

I also think that a bunch of your projects will be headed to the FAQ, great stuff...
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I think you have the upper hand on it for sure....

I also think that a bunch of your projects will be headed to the FAQ, great stuff...
Well, i'm definetly on the downhill side of the project. I just need to find the time to get it completed and painted. I'm worried I am going to have to cut the intake port down some. I just don't think it's gonna fit in the slot for the AEV cutout. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best..
Unread 01-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
saceone

you're a beast. a monkey beast

SPIDERMONKEYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! /rickybobby
saceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saceone View Post
you're a beast. a monkey beast

SPIDERMONKEYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! /rickybobby
Lol..an old Army buddy gave me that nickname because of my EOD training. I hated it when he gave it to me, but now it's growing on me..

[CENTER]The more you play with it, the bigger it gets![/CENTER]
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

ok i saw the other DIY threads you must be an ARB or some other 4x4 R&D disgruntled employee, damn dude wish i had your know how on this stuff. great job
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculz View Post
ok i saw the other DIY threads you must be an ARB or some other 4x4 R&D disgruntled employee, damn dude wish i had your know how on this stuff. great job
LOL...nope..just an average guy who has a nack for building stuff for his Jeep. I like doing it. I like the challenge of making your own stuff. If I had a few more fabrication tools...oh the stuff I could make..lol

Unread 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

That is crazy. Awesome job so far! Get er done!
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown303 View Post
That is crazy. Awesome job so far! Get er done!
I'm on it..lol

Unread 01-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

looks great

only thing I see that will happen is it will crack when you hit/lean it on a rock or tree on the trail, but I guess you can fix it pretty cheap. Now dont forget to raise your breathers
tkob1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
looks great

only thing I see that will happen is it will crack when you hit/lean it on a rock or tree on the trail, but I guess you can fix it pretty cheap. Now dont forget to raise your breathers
Fiberglass is pretty tough when done right. It will be interesting to see what does break this thing..if any..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.