Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My tube-door proto-type design

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  old12school3 
#1 ·
Been messin with this idea for awhile now. This is just a painted card-board cutout mock-up so keep that in mind. Thinkin bout goin with square tubing and paddle latch (not shown). Also will prob add a mirror mount area (not shown). So how bout a little feed back? Good? Bad? Butt-ugly?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it looks pretty good.

#4 ·
I like the look but you could make it a lot more open = Light weight.

All of the extra cross bars are overkill.

I think one horizontal cross member would be more than enough.

All of the Zig-Zag is sort of busy looking and doesn't add any function.

#7 ·
the top of the door needs to be even with the back quarter panel of the Jeep.

#8 ·
Couple of thoughts from someone who made a set.

You might want to expand the template so that it actually rides in the door frame. If there IS an impact on the door (roll-over, stray branch etc) the only thing keeping the door from slamming in to you would be a relatively weak latch on one side and the hing pins on the other side. Having the door run in the original door frame gives the new door a lot more support and more protection for the driver and passenger.

Bringing the rear of the frame up higher not only makes it follow the tub line better, it gives you a spot to rest your arm when cruising... a small thing, but a big difference in comfort.

Keep us updated on your progress!

BTW: Here are my doors. They are 1.75" .120 wall DOM tubing with grade 8 bolts for hinges.

#10 ·
RC 2.5 BB plus Shocks and springs from a Rubicon Unlimited w/Hardtop and tow package. I also added Daystar leveling spacers up front (3/4") so it won't sag when I do my front bumper.

All in all, it ended up as 3.5" in the rear, 4.25 in front, but that is right off the jackstands. I am going to measure it again after 100 miles to see what the real height is going to be (let things settle in) I estimate 3" in the rear and 3.5 in the front, but we will see.

No new driveshafts, but I did put the rear track bar relocation bracket on so that the rear wheels were tracking right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.