Is my sub broken??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Is my sub broken???

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 06-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Ls1man2020
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is my sub broken???

Ok I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon soft top with navigation. I have to say I'm not to impressed with the audio system in it. Even when I turn the bass all The way up I can't notice any bass in my music at all I even tried rap no bass. Does anyone else have this problem. O and another I can't seem to get over 16.8 mpg on the highway. I have a 6speed. Thanks.

Ls1man2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
rayder1

I'm not impressed with the sound quality either. I have the 730n and a hard top. The soft tops I drove sounded even less impressive. I think part of the problem is the sound insulating properties of the jeep being non existent as opposed to passenger cars. Second, I think the speakers are not that great. Quadratec has a lot of speaker upgrade parts, so I'm thinking this isn't uncommon.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
ncb

The factory sub doesn't do much. If you want bumps you need amps and a sub box.

If you're hauling *** on the highway mpg will suffer.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ If you're listening to rap music your mileage will suffer. lol :j/k:

I know what you mean. I like old Kyuss, desert rock, and the sub just doesn't do that low, bass distortion very well either.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Ls1man2020
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
^^^ If you're listening to rap music your mileage will suffer. lol :j/k:

I know what you mean. I like old Kyuss, desert rock, and the sub just doesn't do that low, bass distortion very well either.
Lol!! You just got me in trouble at work.
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Ls1man2020
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
The factory sub doesn't do much. If you want bumps you need amps and a sub box.

If you're hauling *** on the highway mpg will suffer.
Got ya. Thanks for the reply. Yeah I drive normally around 70mph. I just thought the 6th gear would help more with the gas mileage. In my 6.0 gto i used to get 28 mpg in 6th. This is my first jeep been wanting one since I was a kid. God it took a while to get used to that low first gear. I got 2800 miles on her now been driving it on hiking trips a lot I still sometimes forget its best to start in 2nd sometimes. Lol.
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Ls1man2020
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
I'm not impressed with the sound quality either. I have the 730n and a hard top. The soft tops I drove sounded even less impressive. I think part of the problem is the sound insulating properties of the jeep being non existent as opposed to passenger cars. Second, I think the speakers are not that great. Quadratec has a lot of speaker upgrade parts, so I'm thinking this isn't uncommon.
Yeah.. I'm thumbing through the mag right now. They don't seem to have a direct replacement for the sub. Only tweeters and sound bar speakers. O well I mean the sound is sufficient but I was expecting it to sound better than my 2003 avalanche. Come to think of it that did come with a Bose system in it. O well. Thanks for the reply.
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

The location of the speakers and no insulation in the roof definitely helps! Bad shape for acoustics as well. And ya I almost never use first gear, generally unless I'm on a hill I'll start in second
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Ls1man2020
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post
The location of the speakers and no insulation in the roof definitely helps! Bad shape for acoustics as well. And ya I almost never use first gear, generally unless I'm on a hill I'll start in second
Yeah I haven't tried in low yet. I wonder what tha 4.1 ratio feels like? Probably like the granny gear in my old chevy.
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not to derail this thread, but you guys are skipping 1st in JKs? I could skip first in my TJ but skipping 1st in my JK creates a lot of unnecessary chatter.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post
Not to derail this thread, but you guys are skipping 1st in JKs? I could skip first in my TJ but skipping 1st in my JK creates a lot of unnecessary chatter.
Ya like I said, almost routinely. I can't see what gears you have, but with the 4.10s and the stock 32's it really isn't a problem. Could have something to do with the new engine as well. It just takes a little more gas to make sure it doesn't lug.

And to the other point, its awesome in 4 low, but you really have to gear up to keep up with anyone else on simple terrain
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

The Jeep makes a very bad place to listen to music. You are expecting to much. No insulation, no aerodynamics (read Noise) and thin metal. You'll need a lot of wattage to make up for it. My 07 has MyGig and the sub. For what it's worth, not so bad but my motor home has better sound. It's where I expect it to be better. The JK, not so good. Streaming the iPod will also have a dramatic effect on sound quality.
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
rayder1

Oh yeah....if you listen to the sat channels, the sound sucks further. I uploaded some CD's and digital files which sound pretty okay off the HD. I think a tweeter upgrade and a better bass speaker, amp and those insulator panels for the hard top might make better sound.

Regardless, I don't think we'll ever piss off the neighboring cars with sound.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #14
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like people with the Infinity system are not as satisfied as people who have the upgraded/nearly stock head unit that comes with S package. Great sound out of mine. Have you tried EQ'ing your head unit AND Audio source?
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
Ls1man2020
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post
No chatter at all for me as long as I'm not a steep hill. Even on a steep hill I can start in second but you can tell the first few thousand rpms it doesn't like too much. But on a completely flat surface 1st gear is way to short IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.