My mesh grill build - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My mesh grill build

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
240Dbio
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 432
My mesh grill build

Just went to lowes and tracked down the right stuff. I found some "hinged gutter guard" a little pricey nearly 10 bucks, but much sturdier then the long sheet of mesh wire. The gutter guards a curved I hope i can straighten them out without damaging them. I'll take some pictures of the build. Ok the gorilla glue is just for looks (LIES USE THE GORILLA GLUE I JUST CHECKED LESS THEN A WEEK THE ADHESIVE CAME OFF EITHER BY A ROCK OR JUST THE WIND NOT SURE, BUT NOW I HAVE TO TAKE IT OFF AND GORILLA GLUE IT DOWN) in the picture its not needed for this mod. I'm not going to explain much but I'll just point out where I messed up.

photo-1-.jpg   photo-2-.jpg  

Last edited by 240Dbio; 07-31-2010 at 02:36 PM..
240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
ls6tt
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 211
tagged
ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
fernjack
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Dbio View Post
Just went to lowes and tracked down the right stuff. I found some "hinged gutter guard" a little pricey nearly 10 bucks, but much sturdier then the long sheet of mesh wire. The gutter guards a curved I hope i can straighten them out without damaging them. I'll take some pictures of the build.
I used the same stuff and if you gently bend it it will straighten out no problem ....came out nice . I'm going to bed line my grill so it will get a heavier coat when this happens . I used satin black rustoelum .
035.jpg  
__________________
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
240Dbio
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
I used the same stuff and if you gently bend it it will straighten out no problem ....came out nice . I'm going to bed line my grill so it will get a heavier coat when this happens . I used satin black rustoelum .
Looks good. The movers left a little late today and I was running around trying to buy some MRTs (the beasts are coming) so I will neglect this project until tomorrow.
240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
240Dbio
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 432
YEY! No update on the grill but wanted to show off my new 35s. Thanks to AFhockey31 I was able to take the plunge and buy the MT/Rs before I went up to Alaska and paid over 100$more each tire. I wanted to buy 5, but goodyear wholesale only had 4. Also want to thank a guy from northridge dont recall his name, but always had success with this place. They don't sell tires, but they helped me decide between the KM2s and MT/rs. Hopefully I'll get to the grill today.
img_0349.jpg   img_0350.jpg  
240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ft. Detrick MD
Posts: 2,631
Nice man... Those are going to be the next set of tires I go for

Now just join the site to support this place... I guarantee it will be the best investment you'll ever make for your Jeep and you get a cool sticker
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
240Dbio
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryJK4455 View Post
Nice man... Those are going to be the next set of tires I go for

Now just join the site to support this place... I guarantee it will be the best investment you'll ever make for your Jeep and you get a cool sticker
I've been debating if I should or not and most likely will. I just got to wait a month or so before I spend any more money other wise my wife will kill me in my sleep.
240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ft. Detrick MD
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Dbio View Post
I've been debating if I should or not and most likely will. I just got to wait a month or so before I spend any more money other wise my wife will kill me in my sleep.
No rush man Keep the kitchen worker happy
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 4,467
those tires are pretty cool.
__________________

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
240Dbio
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 432
In picture two or three you can see all them laid out. You can see two of them are bent. I thought it would be a clean look to bend them around the grill. I was dead wrong. Don't try this. Leave the gutter guards straight and save yourself the hassle. Also find some good wire cutters or something to cut the gutter guards. I ended up doing two pieces to the grill and got fed up and went and bought a good pair of wire cutters. Your hand will thank you.
img_0351.jpg   img_0352.jpg   img_0353.jpg   img_0355.jpg   img_0356.jpg  

240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
240Dbio
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 432
You can see a picture of my sad beatin up radiator. If you look at the last picture you can see my radiator crying behind the new grill.
img_0357.jpg   img_0358.jpg   img_0359.jpg   img_0360.jpg  
240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
fernjack
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,031
It's suprising how much protection you get from this stuff . I used needle nose pliers to pull out a rock/stone dent that I'm glad never made it to my rad/AC coil . And it really finnishes the front off nicely ......... Looks awesome dude ...
__________________
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
ls6tt
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 211
did you superglue the zip tie blocks on? lots of guys are ssying the sticky pads wont hold.

looks great and its on my plans for the day
ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #14
240Dbio
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 432
Thanks fernjack

Ls6tt: I didn't super glue them down I was tempted to, but I figured I'll be replacing the gutter guards again so no biggy I'll gorilla glue then if needed. I enjoyed this project I let me wife do it and she felt accomplished. A nice cheap project even your women cant mess up. She did spray paint the ground. I guess that big card board box wasn't big enough.
240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
ls6tt
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Dbio View Post
Thanks fernjack

Ls6tt: I didn't super glue them down I was tempted to, but I figured I'll be replacing the gutter guards again so no biggy I'll gorilla glue then if needed. I enjoyed this project I let me wife do it and she felt accomplished. A nice cheap project even your women cant mess up. She did spray paint the ground. I guess that big card board box wasn't big enough.
careful on the gorilla glue, i love it for everything but plastics. ive had it eat at the plastic on my trucks grill

epoxy number 7 works great
ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diy , diy jeep mods , JK Wrangler , mesh grill , wrangler
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.