My jk wont start. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Sheppy02
2010 JK Wrangler 

My jk will not start.

I have a 2010 jk and have had some issues with it starting lately. I thought it was my battery at first,so i replaced it and thought all was good, then about a few weeks after it would not start again. (It will turn once but would not turn the motor over and it does that a few times then starts up) I thought i better get it to the shop so i dont end up stuck somewhere. I took it in and explained the problem and they said it sounds like the starter, i had them replace it and now weeks later the same issue. today i went to start it and it will not even click or turn the moter. The batery has power and the radio, air and lights all come on.
Any thoughts an what this can be???

Last edited by Sheppy02; 08-16-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 10:07 PM
JK4doors
2014 JK Wrangler 

Possibly a loose/bad ground.
Have you tried jumping it or charging the battery?

Maybe take it to a local parts store that can hook it up and diagnose the battery/alternator.

2014 JKU Sahara Mall Crawler
Mods: Billet grille inserts, JW Speaker headlights, booster seats!
post #3 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Sheppy02
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yes, i had AAA come out and they cant figure it out either. I guess back to the shop.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 AM
jerryjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have had a similar issue on my 2007. Always seems to start after a second, third or fourth turn onf the key. Battery is fully charged and all other electrical seems to work OK. Puzzling. Any ideas?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Key fob malfunctioning? Do you have a second key?

Mike
post #6 of 9 Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 PM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Did you get it fixed yet ?

Dang, I'm really suprized that you haven't gotten more help here than that Snappy .

I'm a ZJ'er and they seem to be more helpful there .

The below is from ZeeJay on the ZJ forum but some of it will apply on any rides .

I am leaning toward bad battery or bad connection at the moment .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/

Phit
post #7 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 10:07 AM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Did you get it fixed yet ?

Dang, I'm really suprized that you haven't gotten more help here than that Snappy .

I'm a ZJ'er and they seem to be more helpful there .

The below is from ZeeJay on the ZJ forum but some of it will apply on any rides .

I am leaning toward bad battery or bad connection at the moment .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/

Phit
Pretty presumptuous of you, sir. He has been given solid advice so far. Many JK starting issues are:
1) Bad ground
2) Bad Starter
3) Bad Battery
4) Bad security key/module

I believe all have been covered.

So I'll add, The OP has a 2010. My guess is he has either a bad battery or a bad ground. There seems to be one that connects to the block that either corrodes off or just comes loose. The JK comes from the factory with a 660CCA battery and according to a TSB, really needs a 750CCA battery. With the ECM and TIPM controlling almost all functions, a battery or ground is the top contenders. A battery can look good (lights, radio) and not have enough in it to start a JK. The battery needs to be load tested as one of the first troubleshooting steps.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM2's 35x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #8 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

Could it be the infamous WCM issue? Early JKs are susceptible to static electricity causing the WCM to freak out and prevent the vehicle from starting. The immediate solution is to simply unplug the battery for several minutes, let the module reset, and reconnect the battery and it'll fire up. Had this problem with my '07 frequently and I'm not sure how or if it was even addressed in a '10.

'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 02:11 PM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The computer in a JK is more complicated than earlier models. It does peculiar things when it sees electrical issues. I had a bad battery that the Jeep went into limp mode while I was driving... Coasted into an oreillys thinking it was the alternator. Alternator tested fine... Battery was dead. When my alternator died, it prevented the Jeep from starting even though there was plenty of battery. The starter I swear the computer can tell when it is going bad and will not send juice. replaced two now... did weird stuff prior including putting the key in and getting absolutely nothing on the dash. Discoed the battery, reconnected, popped right off.

Its hard to diagnose a starting issue in a JK. You can bench test the starter. thats definitive. Can bench test an alternator, and can test the battery. Can also be a starter relay. Could be 60A battery fuse (although not likely)... run it all down. Luckily since its a computer, you can turn it off and turn it back on (Disconnect the battery) and it will clear issues sometimes.

You dont need to physically disconnect the battery. That 60A fuse kn the box can be pulled up and held for 30 seconds and reconnected. Tighten all the battery terminals. As an aside, I did buy a red top that failed within a week on me (rare cases find me). Might be a defective battery.

No one can diagnose from the information you provided. Do what a mechanic would do. or take it to a mechanic who would do what mechanics do if the mechanic you took it to doesnt properly diagnose.

I got $0.50 on it being the alternator. You didnt say if it was tested or not.

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.