My jeep pops out of first gear - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My jeep pops out of first gear

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 10-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #31
rentalguy1

I'm good on all except the "proper shifting techniques." I've driven everything from 3 speed on the column, to 18 speed road rangers, to Mack Duplex drives, and the only "proper shifting technique" I've ever used was to put the damn thing in gear and drive. If there is some magical shifting technique on this Jeep, then I am trading it on Wednesday. I refuse to own a vehicle that cannot be driven like every other vehicle. That is exactly why I will never own a light duty Cummins later than a 5.9L. Can't idle...what a crock! Tell that to the poor sap trying to sleep in the cab tonight in Montana! Sorry for the rant, I'm just getting really ill with Mopar products (I know, I know, it's a Cummins deal, not a Mopar deal...but Mopar uses these engines knowing the are crap in stock form.)

rentalguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #32
asuperheat
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just went throughthis myself, look at post "could not take 1st poping out anymore" . Mine seems better now however my reverse is alittle more stubburn than before but 1st so far is better. I am minus a inner shift boot since they did the work, Im convinced that is on purpose. I still have to get my upper boot replaced because they ripped it that reminds me I need to call tomorow. I am convinced that if you have a JOG it will only get worse as mine did untill it wants to do it all the time. Take it in and have them fix it and I think USAntigoon is on to something with the inner shift boot. It starts with jumping out once or twice when cold untill it damages the shift fork and or synchro untill it is a all the time problem. My best advice remove the inner boot soon and try it see if it makes any diffrence.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #33
volito
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentalguy1 View Post
I'm good on all except the "proper shifting techniques." I've driven everything from 3 speed on the column, to 18 speed road rangers, to Mack Duplex drives, and the only "proper shifting technique" I've ever used was to put the damn thing in gear and drive. If there is some magical shifting technique on this Jeep, then I am trading it on Wednesday. I refuse to own a vehicle that cannot be driven like every other vehicle. That is exactly why I will never own a light duty Cummins later than a 5.9L. Can't idle...what a crock! Tell that to the poor sap trying to sleep in the cab tonight in Montana! Sorry for the rant, I'm just getting really ill with Mopar products (I know, I know, it's a Cummins deal, not a Mopar deal...but Mopar uses these engines knowing the are crap in stock form.)
Excellent quote 2011 wrangler popping every day out of 2 and 4!
Please don't tell me dealer is going to tell me he never heard of this or I am driving wrong

I am a first time Jeep owner because I always here they are strong and last for ever Under 1k miles and problems already....

Driving stick 25 years not my problem
volito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #34
wyodog
2007 JK Wrangler 

I acquired my Jeep Wrangler (manual transmission) in January of 2007, shortly thereafter it started popping out of 1st gear. At first it was just once or twice a month, it has progressed to a point where it was doing it 4-6 times per day. At first I thought that I was not engaging it properly, but I’ve subsequently tried to hold it in 1st gear and it forces itself out of gear so hard that it almost broke my wrist. I’ve noticed that it pops out more upon low to medium acceleration. I was now convinced that this condition was very unsafe and returned the vehicle (@49,500 miles) to a Jeep dealership for repair. The dealership updated the 1-2 synchronizer assembly with stronger detent springs pursuant to the Chrysler/Jeep Technical Service Bulletin 21-001-10 (you can view online) that was issued on March 2, 2010. $1,400 OUCH!
wyodog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #35
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentalguy1 View Post
Mine started having this problem this week. It only happens when pulling out going uphill. It's happened a half dozen times now and always nearly gives me a heart attack every time. I guess it's such a pop because of the load that it's under.

Did the OP ever get a answer from the dealer on this?
PM me if you are interested..there is a local dealer here that will replace the entire transmission vs opening it up.
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #36
LizLemon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Another one weighs in...

Hey all. I'm so bummed about this.
I traded my 1998 Sahara in for a 2010 Sport that had 1,700 miles on it.
I'm having this exact problem.
I've got about 9K miles on it now and have it since October -- it's done it about a dozen times and I was trying some of the methods you all suggested -- don't rest my hand on the gear shift when pulling out in 1st, then I tried slight forward pressure, very slight -- and it threw the shifter out so hard that it threw my arm back and wretched my shoulder. (I know, wimpy chick).
Twice recently, I have found myself half way into an intersection with traffic coming at me and BOOM! Out of gear, sitting duck, scramble to get my *** out of there.
I guess I need to take it to a dealership -- I almost want to just sell it, take a loss and try another one, but I managed to get into this one without a car payment, so that would suck.
I'm heart broken and want my good ole '98 Sahara back

I am also getting the same BS that the dealer "never heard of it" before. How can there be hundreds of post on multiple forums and this is news?

Edit: Oh and reverse is a PIA too -- but that's not a dangerous issue.

Last edited by LizLemon; 05-19-2011 at 02:14 PM..
LizLemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #37
blue-coupe
2013 JK Wrangler 

My '08 did the same thing. I don't remember the cause of it, but the dealer eventually figured it out. they had to order parts from Germany, so it took forever, but they eventually fixed it. After they fixed it, they completely screwed up the shifter cover by using wood screws to screw it back in place.

It was one of the main reasons I got rid of the JK.

Now why am I considering getting another?...
blue-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #38
LizLemon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-coupe View Post
My '08 did the same thing. I don't remember the cause of it, but the dealer eventually figured it out. they had to order parts from Germany, so it took forever, but they eventually fixed it. After they fixed it, they completely screwed up the shifter cover by using wood screws to screw it back in place.

It was one of the main reasons I got rid of the JK.

Now why am I considering getting another?...
Because, once you've owned one, it's forever in your blood. I can't imagine not having one. The new freedom top is the bomb. Seriously. Now I don't need to have a boyfriend to take my top off
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #39
mike_baggly
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
I always keep my hand on the shifter whilst in first. )
Same. Mine used to pop out of 1st occasionally. I was going to make a post but I finally just attributed it to user error. It hasn't done it since I started holding the shifter forward.
mike_baggly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #40
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

That's all well and good for now. It still needs fixed, though. The longer it goes, the more forceful that pop out of gear will get. It's enough to put a hurtin' on your wrist when it starts getting really bad. Even moreso if it pops out while accelerating.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #41
mike_baggly
2007 JK Wrangler 

I didn't phrase my reply very well. I believe it was popping out because I wasn't consciously moving the shifter all the way into gear. I would get lazy and kind of half-*** put it in gear. Now I usually go from neutral to second to first before taking off from a stop, making sure the shifter is fully engaged. Since I started doing this it hasn't popped out.
mike_baggly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #42
LizLemon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Mine goes in the shop next Friday, let's all send some positive energy that it gets fixed. I was behind a school bus this morning 6 stops -- popped out of first 5 out of the 6 times I tried to engage it. I'm destroyed. I want to keep it because I paid cash for it. But I'll trade it and take small payments if I have to.
My '98 went 110K with zero problems.
I have under 9K on this one.
Unread 06-02-2011, 05:46 AM   #43
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizLemon View Post
Mine goes in the shop next Friday, let's all send some positive energy that it gets fixed. I was behind a school bus this morning 6 stops -- popped out of first 5 out of the 6 times I tried to engage it. I'm destroyed. I want to keep it because I paid cash for it. But I'll trade it and take small payments if I have to.
My '98 went 110K with zero problems.
I have under 9K on this one.
Dude, don't write it off for this issue. This should be an "easy" fix. I use the "s because while it might be "easy" because they have a TSB out and they obviously know what to do to fix it, it's anything but quick. Mine was in the shop for a week. Good news is, it came out as good as new... hopefully, better than new. I got about 13k outta mine before it got to where you're at. Hopefully, I'll get more than 13k out of it before it starts again (if it ever causes a problem again at all).

Honestly, I might be on a new tranny before I get 26k on this thing.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #44
LizLemon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjk View Post
Dude, don't write it off for this issue. This should be an "easy" fix. I use the "s because while it might be "easy" because they have a TSB out and they obviously know what to do to fix it, it's anything but quick. Mine was in the shop for a week. Good news is, it came out as good as new... hopefully, better than new. I got about 13k outta mine before it got to where you're at. Hopefully, I'll get more than 13k out of it before it starts again (if it ever causes a problem again at all).

Honestly, I might be on a new tranny before I get 26k on this thing.
Thanks. Mine goes in for two days next week because they have to pull the transmission out. They knew exactly what it was and said mine is really bad, "catches harder than most". Also, they said that they now manufacture them with a boot, so it's a quick fix but mine was done before the boot fix.

You bring up a good question. Will this happen again or is the fix permanent? If the fix isn't permanent, then I certainly want to dump this one right about the time it's out of warranty or I'll be paying for two full days of labor and a transmission pull out.
Unread 06-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #45
jesah
2008 JK Wrangler 

My 08 X does this in 3rd gear. My wife always looks at me like dude, learn how to put it in gear already.

Tags
first gear problems , JK Wrangler , jog , jump out of gear , pops out of gear , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.