My jeep pops out of first gear - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My jeep pops out of first gear

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 09-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #16
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just tell the dealer that you don't have enough positive coupler lock in first gear.. and it needs to be fixed.. I suggest you ask him to take the outer sifter boot off then realign the inner boot assembly over the shifter bracket/sled to which it is installed..I assume that the latter are add on items by the Chrysler assembly plant in their trans dress up line..I am sure this is just a bolt-on process without any positive lock (dowels etc..) My be this needs to be replaced and/or re-aligned.. I was going with these "repair" first before they start taken the tranny apart..!!!
Transmission Manufacturers know very well the ramifications of JOG (jumping out of gear) hence a lot of safeguards are build in...

With a "healthy" set-up you should feel the positive detent engagement whilst shifting in first..

This was going to be my approach..

USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
jaxs1984
2009 JK Wrangler 

i have an 09 Rubicon and about a week after I purchased it I experienced the problem. It happens so random and infrequently I just deal with it. My only concern is that on a trail in 4 LO in 1st going up a hill it would pop out. So far it hasn't happened in 4 LO yet.
jaxs1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #18
shockwave562
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxs1984 View Post
i have an 09 Rubicon and about a week after I purchased it I experienced the problem. It happens so random and infrequently I just deal with it. My only concern is that on a trail in 4 LO in 1st going up a hill it would pop out. So far it hasn't happened in 4 LO yet.
ya well at first it was so infrequent I didn't mess with it but now it is happening much more and seems to be more violent when it pops out.

Never happened in 4 low though
'99 WJ Laredo
'94 YJ SE

Join our Colorado Jeep Club on facebook:

[url]http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=55632382649&ref=ts[/url]
shockwave562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #19
hkenny90
2007 JK Wrangler 

yeah try second to first to open up that part of the gear box
hkenny90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just bought my '08 X used with 30K on it. I've had this happen to me two times now. I find that sometimes I press forward and the stick doesn't go fully in gear and if I try to engage it'll pop out when I give it gas.

Should I be worried? I thought this was just normal and that it's supposed to pop out if it's not fully engaged the right way...
dirtyjpwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #21
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

JOG (jumping out of gear) IS NOT normal...You should get it fixed or it can lead to coupler teeth chipping..
Go step by step..see my previous post
Unread 09-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #22
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
JOG (jumping out of gear) IS NOT normal...You should get it fixed or it can lead to coupler teeth chipping..
Go step by step..see my previous post
Thanks, I'm bringing my car into the dealer to get my throw-out bearing replaced so I'll ask them to look at the JOG too. I have a good feeling they're not going to be able to replicate it though...

Does JOG originate from something wrong int he clutch assembly? Maybe when they're replacing my throw-out they'll be able to look for a reason as to why it's jumping out of first...

I only have 5k until my car is out of warranty so I want to get anything I can get fixed as soon as I can.
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

JOG is the result of:
1) synchro couplers not fully engaged (shift rail issues, shifter and/or shifter column interferences, dragging synchro rings, etc )
2) very weak/broken shift rail detent springs
3) lack of negative back taper on coupler teeth and splines (spline off set) these design features will create a positive lock whilst torque is transmitted through the coupled gears after synchronization took place..
Unread 09-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #24
DominicR
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
JOG is the result of:
1) synchro couplers not fully engaged (shift rail issues, shifter and/or shifter column interferences, dragging synchro rings, etc )
2) very weak/broken shift rail detent springs
3) lack of negative back taper on coupler teeth and splines (spline off set) these design features will create a positive lock whilst torque is transmitted through the coupled gears after synchronization took place..
US - could you help with this as well? Not sure if it's related but I have had JOG issues as well as clutch issues on my 07 JK. I have an additional question about the clutch setup. I hear a "clicking" or "ticking" noise when i press down on my clutch. This is different then the noise I heard before (a "crunching" noise) that was fixed (a clutch plate was being crushed). I was told the JK clutch is cable driven and this could possibly be causing the noise. If that is the case, is it harmfull to the vehicle?

Thanks in advance!
DominicR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Clutch release (throw out) bearing worn or the clutch release lever (the one which pushes against the release brg) worn or deformed which will put a side load onto the release bearing. The latter in full depressed clutch condition might generate a ticking noise in the release bearing...JK clutch is a hydraulic Master/slave set up.....
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #26
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is popping out of 1st a problem that results from something wrong in the clutch assembly itself?

I'm asking because they're going to replace the whole clutch assembly in my jeep because of problems with the throw-out bearing.

So maybe that will fix my POG problem too?
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #27
rentalguy1

Mine started having this problem this week. It only happens when pulling out going uphill. It's happened a half dozen times now and always nearly gives me a heart attack every time. I guess it's such a pop because of the load that it's under.

Did the OP ever get a answer from the dealer on this?
rentalguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #28
samslack

pops out too

My 09 Rubicon started doing this a few weeks ago. it happens about once every 2 days. First I thought I just needed to get used to the clutch on it I guess I was wrong after seeing this post. I have been drive stick for the last 16 years of my life and never had this problem getting used to a clutch....

It pops out just like you all described and sometimes it makes a grinding sound and sometime a bang (The scary one ) )

any news on a recall?
samslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #29
rentalguy1

I've been holding mine in 1st as a precaution, but it caught me off guard today. It did one of the JOG's that goes BANG! and hit me right on the tip of my middle finger. I thought for sure my finger was broke for a few seconds...
rentalguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #30
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have posted in several forums what is at stake here:
The first important job in analyzing a JOG (Jumping Out of Gear) condition is to separate the problem into two main root cause possibilities.. (assuming proper shifting techniques are applied)
1) is it shift lever interference or bad assembly..(external)
2) is it an internal transmission issue....

I am including a pic from their parts catalog to better depict how interferences can be existing between the different boot assemblies (4-5), the shifter sled bracket (8) and its position onto the transmission case..(as referred in above post #16) Any issue here will affect full engagement travel, hence setting you up for a JOG condition..

I am also following a similar issue in other forums and know of two cases where the removal of the inner boot and the skid plate above the trans (under the floor control bezel) created successful results. (no JOG)

First indications are that the skid plate (#8 above posted pic) is pushing the inner boot hence creating extra interference with the shift lever. (this might get compounded with inner boot stiffness/durometer in very cold weather)
The Jeeper in the meantime has removed the skid plate and inner boot and has driven for more then two weeks without an issue..

As a more permanent fix, I suggested to him to slot the skid plate mounting holes around the studs and retest.. I will keep you updated.. I have some of his pics and will post them as soon as he gives me permission..

Tags
first gear problems , JK Wrangler , jog , jump out of gear , pops out of gear , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.