My Jeep died, now looking at a JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My Jeep died, now looking at a JK

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
ejunge

My Jeep died, now looking at a JK

My 2.4L TJ died on me and my wife wants to be free of this Jeep. We love the jeep, but never had enough power, So now we are looking at a JK. In either the 2 door or four door version. What are the potential Gotchas on the early JK's is there anything that I need to be aware of? We might be looking for a 2007 or 2008.

Thanks
Kirby

ejunge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Might want to do a search, this has been discussed in several threads....
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you're looking for more power then the JK is not your answer. Actually might be a little better than that 2.4...

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Michel347

About four-five months ago I was looking for a 2007-2009, after looking everywhere for a month I ended up with a 2012 that had 10K miles on it for about only 1500$ over the amount they were asking for the 2007-2009s. Take your time, you'll find a good deal.
Michel347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

There is so much more to this (suspension lifts and whatnot) and way too much for a typed reply. I would highly recommend to do like RockyClymer suggested and do your homework. Spend at least a few days researching and take notes, that way you won’t be going in blind and perhaps end up disappointed with whatever JK you end up buying.

As far as power goes you will definitely have much more than the 2.4 of yours that you have now. Gearing is your friend with the JKs especially with the 2007-2011. Starting with the 2012 a new engine (3.6) came into play along with a new auto trans that gave the JKs the needed kick in the pants and is a great improvement over all, stock to stock.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Some of the early 07's had a D35 in rear (instead of D44). Make sure you don't get stuck with one of those.

As mentioned, if you're after horsepower, '12+ have the new 3.6 engine.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Anythings better than that 2.4L
I had one in my first Jeep and drove with a head wind, i thought i was going to go backwards.
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.