Is my Jeep burning too much oil? (dipstick pic included) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Is my Jeep burning too much oil? (dipstick pic included)

Free shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpersBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is my Jeep burning too much oil? (dipstick pic included)

After doing some reading here on the forums I've found that it is generally accepted that many JK's burn about a quart every 1000 miles, and that Chrysler calls this "normal" (go figure).

By looking at my dipstick can you tell me how much oil is left? Am I burning more than 1qt/1000 miles?

The picture shows my dipstick @ 2500 miles after my previous oil change with me having added a quart of oil immediately before taking the picture. Hope that's not too confusing... I marked where the oil was before adding the extra quart.

Edit: I'm the 2nd owner and therefore not under the lifetime power train warranty.

dipstick.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

My ZJ with 185k and my XJ with 173K dont burn ANY oil between oil changes. if i had a new or newer truck burning 3 quarts of oil between oil changes id be back at the dealer right away. I say you have a problem.
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The best thing you can do now is top it up to full, and check it once a week.
Add a quart each time it's at the quart low mark. Keep track of it on paper.
You can't really tell yet what it's doing with just one look at the dip stick.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Dryseals
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you are making a lot of short trips, this can lead to oil consumption.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
ncb

The bottom line of the safe range is one quart low. You were probably more than two quarts low. With that kind of oil consumption you should check the oil level every time you fill up with gas.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
reznik572
2011 JK Wrangler 

I had a 09 2DR JK X that I only ever put 30,000KM on, and it never seemed to burn a drop. I was in the habbit of checking it all the time as my previous vehicles always burnt a lot.

I'd go with what ronjenx's advice.
reznik572 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
kik

You were down 2-2.5 qts. You definately need to check more often and keep a log when you have to add a qt. When you're down 1qt. add and note the mileage. On a side note: I believe that Chrysler indicating that "they" will accept an engine burning 1 qt. of oil every 1,000 miles as "normal" is BS. If that ever happens with my 10 Rubi, which at this point it doesn't burn oil, it's going. There is no way I could own a vehicle with an engine that is that defective, no matter what type of vehicle or who makes it. I really never heard of such nonsense with modern engines. I hope the standard for the new 3.6 is greater.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Celtic
2011 JK Wrangler 

How many miles on the odometer? Mine is new with 5000 miles and Dioscuri is still reading full.
Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
How many miles on the odometer? Mine is new with 5000 miles and Dioscuri is still reading full.
what is Dioscuri? My engine is @ 52k

kik was right. I added another quart and was just about at the top of the "safe" area on the dipstick. So I was down about 2 qts, which means I'm burning 1 quart every 1250 miles.

I think what it comes down to is that some jeeps burn oil and some don't. I guess I'm just going to have to keep a closer eye on mine.

Thanks for all the responses
Unread 04-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Discovery
2007 WK 

Change brands of oil.Mobile 1 is not the end all of Motor oils.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
GeoBigJon
Cactus Hobbit

2014 JK Wrangler 

I wonder if they or you added the right amount of oil to begin with? I have 4.5k miles on mine and haven't used a drop, these post have me wondering though so I check it regularly. 1quart per 1k miles is BS. Just for my curiosity, do you drive with high RPM's, high speeds? My KLR650 uses oil if the RPM's are kept high for long periods of time, so I am wondering if that is playing a factor in those with oil consumption issues, just at thought.

If you eat, drink, or wear cloths then you're involved in agriculture.
GeoBigJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
ncb

My JK didn't use any oil until around 18K miles. It's using around 1/2 a quart every 3K miles. I know it's full after the oil change because I do the oil changes, and I check it once a week and can see it slowly dropping. I found that the inside of the intake manifold is oily and wondered if maybe it's huffing oil through the PCV. I changed the PCV at the last oil change about 300 miles ago. It's too soon to see if this helps. I don't have any leaks because my garage floor is clean. I have the lifetime warranty on the engine so I'm not worried if it becomes worse, but I don't want to run it low on oil and be responsible for grenading the engine.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
JK4Three
2009 JK Wrangler 

Like GeoBigJon said, the prior change could have been low. The JK takes 6qts, and to save money they could have put in 5 to just to barely get to the safe zone. Also be sure to check it on level ground and also changing the pcv valve is easy, maybe stating the obvious here but ??. If it's mechanical it might be a valve guide and hopefully not rings at only 50k mi. Looking at your plugs can give a clue. Using a quart at just over a thousand miles isn't good, but livable if you watch it carefully. I think using 5W30 might help a little too.
JK4Three is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
Celtic
2011 JK Wrangler 

Dioscuri = Dipstick. It was late and I was tired. I must have totally fat-fingered the keyboard.
Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine burns 1qt for every 1000 miles driven. I have switched types and weights of oil and it still burns. I warm the engine up before I drive and nothing helps. I have taken it to Jeep and they state it is normal. I disaree. I am the second owner (i bought it certified) so I dont know how it was driven before. I have 48K miles on it and I drive like a normal person and 1qt burned for 1000 miles on a 48K engine is not normal. I see that some have burn problems and it seems like I am one of the burners. I hope the 2012s with the new V6 will be better. By this time next year I will be trading in/up for a new engine.

Dang, all this time and I thought it was the famous Jeep Wave!! ~bluegrassguitar
BlueLesPaul2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.