My first leak....input please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My first leak....input please

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

My first leak....input please

I walked out this morning and saw the dreaded "spot" on the driveway. Red and obviously transmission fluid. It was on good sized drop. It looks like it dripped from the bottom of the radiator. There is a plastic piece the fans sit on and that is where it dripped from.

Since the JK routes the fluid through the condenser I am assuming that is where it is leaking and running down the plastic. I checked the fitting and don't see any fluids or sweat. I got in there with a mirror and can't even see any more tranny fluid.

Is this a common issue on the JK? leaking from the condenser? Ironically I was going to install my B&M cooler today also, now I am debating on bypassing the condenser all together. Just turned 50k on the clock.

Unread 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Go back about a foot, in the tranny lines and look at the two tranny cooler lines (rubber vibration coupling) either (hot) bottom, or cooler (top) lines develop a fluid leak at one of their pressed fittings--

Look at them from underneath/w light and you should see drops-

Chrysler Safety Recall J30 addresses that problem , although I'm not sure about '07--I gotit for mine '08-

Good luck-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Found another letter concerning tranny fluid lines leaking-the Recall, j30 concerns computer/dash icons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Go back about a foot, in the tranny lines and look at the two tranny cooler lines (rubber vibration coupling) either (hot) bottom, or cooler (top) lines develop a fluid leak at one of their pressed fittings--

Look at them from underneath/w light and you should see drops-

Chrysler Safety Recall J30 addresses that problem , although I'm not sure about '07--I gotit for mine '08-

Good luck-

JIMBO
The Line Leak Letter, Dtd June 17, 2011 and extended the tranny/fluid lines warranty, for 7 years and 70,000 miles--

You might call the CHRYSLER CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER---MONDAY THRU fRI --8:00 am TO 8:00 pm, at 1-800-426-5337 and mention the "leaking" lines--IF THEY ARE=-

JIMBO
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jimbox, I appreciate the replies. I have checked the transmission lines and they are dry on all the fittings. It makes be think the leak is coming from the condenser but there really isn't a way to tell as it is covered with too much plastic. I had no drops on the driveway today.

I am going to go ahead with my supercooler b&m install this week, hopefully when I get in there I will be able to see where the leak is coming from.
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check power steering pump, lines, etc., same fluid

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Kewl, you're probably OK with the tranny then-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Jay View Post
Jimbox, I appreciate the replies. I have checked the transmission lines and they are dry on all the fittings. It makes be think the leak is coming from the condenser but there really isn't a way to tell as it is covered with too much plastic. I had no drops on the driveway today.

I am going to go ahead with my supercooler b&m install this week, hopefully when I get in there I will be able to see where the leak is coming from.
Thats a good idea from Magatetetzz, cause the tranny/xfer case/power steering all use ATF-4 and all can leak-

Also dirty antifreeze from the rad. can be mistaken-

Good luck

JIMBO
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Kewl, you're probably OK with the tranny then-

Thats a good idea from Magatetetzz, cause the tranny/xfer case/power steering all use ATF-4 and all can leak-

Also dirty antifreeze from the rad. can be mistaken-

Good luck

JIMBO
Update:

I believe the fluid I found is actually antifreeze. I didn't think so at first as it looked and felt like transmission fluid, however upon close inspection this past week I found corrosion on the top of the radiator with dried anti-freeze on it. While the level is not really going down enough to notice it, I believe the radiator is bad.

I would rather replace a radiator than the condenser. This will be on my short list of things to do in the coming weeks.
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK, one final check, before you start messing with the radiator--

Drop a light just below the water pump and either with a mirror, or from underneath---look at the bottom two bolts of the water pump and look for rust trail down to the oil pan edge--

Depending on the magnitude of the leak, the antifreeze will either buildup and then drop to the floor, or just buildup and migrate back along the pan/engine block--

I'm interested, because mine used to doit, till I retorqued the pump bolts !

Post what you find, might be valuable to others/you-

Good luck

JIMBO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.