My first Jeep will be a JK, what do I need? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My first Jeep will be a JK, what do I need?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
solbergg

My first Jeep will be a JK, what do I need?

Hey all,

To kill time before the 07's start arriving, I have gone through the online configurator a bunch of times. Each time I come to a different conclusion as to what I should get. A lot of this is due to me simply not really understanding what the options are.

Here's my basic situation - the Jeep will be my daily driver. I drive about 10 miles back and forth between work and home each day. On the weekends I plan on taking it to the beach (I live in Jacksonville, FL and some beaches allow you to drive on them here), as well as try out offroading for the first time. Granted, Florida doesn't have much in the way of mountains, but there is a lot of swamp land to navigate.

Now, as far as the trim levels are concerned, is the Rubicon the only option that is a true offroading vehicle, or are the X and Sahara very capable as well? Could the Rubi function as a daily driver, or does it lose all characterics of highway comfort with its upgrades? Yeah, I know, you cant have it all, but I at least want to know what I am getting into. I have more questions relating to the individual trim levels, but we might as well start with this, so I can get a better idea of which Wrangler I will be equipping.

solbergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 44!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, thee most important option.

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbergg
Could the Rubi function as a daily driver, or does it lose all characterics of highway comfort with its upgrades?
The only upgrade that will directly affect its highway comfort are the MT tires. They are noisier, less balanced and eat a bit more gas. If you drive it daily you may want AT tires as a better compromise.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
solbergg

Ok, so it sounds like I should stay away from the Rubi then, as it only comes with the MT tires. Yeah, I could sell them, but it wouldnt feel right paying that much extra for 4 wheel capability, and then putting street tires on it.

So, that leaves me with the Sahara or the X. From what I have read, they both have a Dana 30 in the front and a 35 in the back. The Sahara comes with 17" wheels standard, but you can upgrade the X to 17" for $250. I dont know what it looks like in person, but I actually sort of prefer the black fenders rather than the color matching ones. On the other hand, you can only get a Khaki top with a Sahara right now, so aesthetics are equal to me. If I get all of the same options I want in the X as I would in the Sahara, that leaves me at about 25,560 for the Sahara, and 23,845 for the X-S (including the 17" wheels). So, what am I gettin for that extra $1715 into the Sahara? So far I can see its the Tubular sidesteps (which I dont want) for $395 and the color flares. I can't imagine color flares cost $1320, so what else is making up the difference in price? Could it be something that adds to its offroad capability?
solbergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
CJ7 Vette

m/t tires arent bad...just a little noisier than a/t. definitely dont let that be the deciding factor between a rubi and an x/sahara. the rubi is considerably stronger in the axle dept, and comes with lockers and 4.10 gears...a BIG plus, and a BIG expense when you decide later you want to add them to your x/sahara(about 4 grand to add lockers and re-gear both axles) and believe me...once you get a taste for the offroading, you will want to add them.
update: no rust, new floors, stripped, primed, filled, blocked, and repainted with PPG Concept Garnet Metallic. Hardtop freshly painted, all trim painted in black metallic with a bit of flatener mixed in. New seats, carpet, console, roll bar pad, seat belts,dash, flares, windshield, seals, tire carrier and more!
CJ7 Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
azcoyote

The only deciding factor should be money. If you can afford the Rubi, get it. The upgrades it has are worth every penny and will increase resale value. If you want to get less Jeep for less money, then go with one of the others. If a D44 is an option on a Sahara, get it.

Congrats!
Unread 09-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbergg
If I get all of the same options I want in the X as I would in the Sahara, that leaves me at about 25,560 for the Sahara, and 23,845 for the X-S (including the 17" wheels). So, what am I gettin for that extra $1715 into the Sahara? So far I can see its the Tubular sidesteps (which I dont want) for $395 and the color flares. I can't imagine color flares cost $1320, so what else is making up the difference in price? Could it be something that adds to its offroad capability?
The Sahara comes with the Yes Essentials stain-resistant fabrics, and you can't get that on the X.

Also, going with the Sahara opens up the ability to add options that you cannot add to an X, including the MyGig navigation radio, 18" wheels, the khaki top (as you mentioned), ... maybe more.

As far as "offroad capability" the Sahara doesn't have anything more than the X.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 Vette
m/t tires arent bad...just a little noisier than a/t. definitely dont let that be the deciding factor between a rubi and an x/sahara. the rubi is considerably stronger in the axle dept, and comes with lockers and 4.10 gears...a BIG plus, and a BIG expense when you decide later you want to add them to your x/sahara(about 4 grand to add lockers and re-gear both axles) and believe me...once you get a taste for the offroading, you will want to add them.
Yep. If MT are too rough and noisy for you, getting a set of town tires will set you maybe under a grand, and you will still have MTs and all the other upgrades. Worst case you can sell MTs for AT/town for a profit. Rubicon is the trim to get IMHO...
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
obsessedjeeper
2013 WK 

just outta curiosity, what is so much better about the dana 44? is it just that it is more solid? Im thinkin about trading my YJ in on a 07 and need to know everyhting.
obsessedjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Dana 44 has thicker axle shafts and bigger ring and pinion gears. They are less likely to break under extreme conditions.

If you're primarily using your new jeep as a daily driver and some muddin' on the weekends, I wouldn't recommend the Rubicon version. It has a 4 to 1 transfer case reduction, which is primarily for rock crawling. The standard 2.72 to 1 transfer case that comes with the X and the Sahara is much more versatile.
Border Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
azcoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessedjeeper
just outta curiosity, what is so much better about the dana 44? is it just that it is more solid? Im thinkin about trading my YJ in on a 07 and need to know everyhting.
The Dana 44 is a much stronger axle with better ring gear options. That means that if you add the stress of larger tires, your axles will be less likely to break down. TJ owners have seen Dana 35s crap out on a small as 33s (with a heavy gas foot no doubt). The Dana 44 is good up to 35-37" tires. The D44 in the JK is upgraded since the D44 in the 06 and down Rubicon so it is even stronger than last year. Combine that with the fact that a 2.5 inch list supposedly will get you into 35 inch tires on the JK and one simple thing becomes clear. If you are EVER going to lift the JK, you will want the D44 under it because chances are you will be running 35s at least.

Get teh D44 as an option or just get the best and get a Rubi.

Cheers,
Unread 09-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
azcoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave
If you're primarily using your new jeep as a daily driver and some muddin' on the weekends, I wouldn't recommend the Rubicon version. It has a 4 to 1 transfer case reduction, which is primarily for rock crawling. The standard 2.72 to 1 transfer case that comes with the X and the Sahara is much more versatile.
I have to disagree on this point. You can always upshift to get to the wheel spin/RPM range you want. Typically I have seen a lot of mud done in 4H for that purpose. That is 1:1 so there is no issue on gear being too deep.

Howver, you are limited to how far down into the crawl you can go by the transfer case gearing. The 4:1 RockTrac will do everything the standard 2.72 will do by just selecting the right drive gear. The 2.72 will not do all that the 4:1 will.
If you want to run mud in 4L that is not a problem either. Just shift up to the gear you want (say 4,5,6) and let it rip. Should be no problem.

Better to have it and not need it I say....

Cheers,
Unread 09-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
swirvn

solbergg, have you talked to any dealerships yet about pricing?? I live in Jax as well and actually ordered mine from Atlantic Jeep in St. Aug. The internet sales manager is very helpful and worked a great deal for me!

As for the model, Unless you know of some serious off road trails in this area that I can't seem to find, I think the Sahara would be your best bet. The beach in St. Aug is great for goofin off and my last Sahara (2000) had more than enough capability to deal with dunes and even the massive dredging ledges left from the noreasters. Plus the painted flares are a huge benefit here, the X and rubi flares fade like crazy in the FL sun.

Just my opinion, take or leave it!
swirvn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.