My first Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My first Jeep

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Cambie
2012 JK Wrangler 

My first Jeep

So I have recently purchased a new 2012 JK. Im getting ready to make a few changes. I am wanting to get a 4in lift and while under it thinking about changing the exhaust. I wanted some opinions, thinking about going with a mopar lift (to keep the warranty) and was thinking about going with a flowmaster for exhaust I liked the one I put on my truck. Sounded great and felt like it improved gas milage and horse power.

Again Im new and looking for some insight. I dont want to do anything that will cost me $ and have regrets down the road.

Thanks
Newbie Cambie

Cambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well. From personal experience. A lift will not improve has mileage. Of that's your reason to get an exhaust it's not worth it.

All those fuel saving add ons exhaust, cold air, chip. All that is bogus in my opinion and not worth the money. I have had an exhaust on ALL my vehicles and in most cases decreased fuel mileage.

In my truck I had a lift and tires only 2" bigger with exhaust and I lost about 200 k per tank.

If you want a lift go for it. Exhaust go for it. But don't expect better gas mileage. It will decrease. Also, with a lift comes bigger tires.

Again. This is based on my personal experience and to me it not worth it. Unless you plan on doing serious or even moderate off roading. But, it's your jeep and money. Just my two cents. Take for what it's worth. Everybody will have a different opinion and people love spending other people's money and encouraging useless and expensive mods.

I have a 2010 JKU Sahara and she will be stock. I added better tires not bigger and if I do a mod is for practicality or convenience. Not to look cool. I have just added grab handles and i plan on a tranny cooler and gauge. But that's because I tow a boat.

I have had several vehicles. Several lol. And all the mods I have done were a waste of money. I have spent lots on cars. And now I'm going to enjoy my beautiful jeep just how it came out the box.

Not to discourage you. I am a string believer in people do what they want with there money. I would just weigh the pros and cons and do a lot of research to make sure it what you want. Or if it serves a purpose for you and your jeep.

Sorry. So rude of me. Welcome and congrats!
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

to the forum and congrats on your new Jeep.

I doubt youíll see any increase in power with those modes as no one has yet reported any. Also you donít have to restrict yourself in lift kits to what Mopar offers either, which by the way are nothing more than aftermarket kits anyway. You can save money by buying them yourself. The exception to that would be anything AEV. Everyone who sells their (AEV) stuff cannot jack the price up so the dealer would be fine to buy from.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i'll let the other guys chime in on suspensions, as I'm pretty opinionated when it comes to that. but as far as exhaust goes - i would avoid flow master. they use aluminized steel and are IMO junk. Magnaflow is a better option, full 100% stainless.

for a full kit, AFE (Advance Flow Engineering) has a great setup in 100% stainless, and it tucks the whole system up close to the body and out of the way of trail obstacles.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
vincejeep1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
Well. From personal experience. A lift will not improve has mileage. Of that's your reason to get an exhaust it's not worth it.

All those fuel saving add ons exhaust, cold air, chip. All that is bogus in my opinion and not worth the money. I have had an exhaust on ALL my vehicles and in most cases decreased fuel mileage.

In my truck I had a lift and tires only 2" bigger with exhaust and I lost about 200 k per tank.

If you want a lift go for it. Exhaust go for it. But don't expect better gas mileage. It will decrease. Also, with a lift comes bigger tires.

Again. This is based on my personal experience and to me it not worth it. Unless you plan on doing serious or even moderate off roading. But, it's your jeep and money. Just my two cents. Take for what it's worth. Everybody will have a different opinion and people love spending other people's money and encouraging useless and expensive mods.

I have a 2010 JKU Sahara and she will be stock. I added better tires not bigger and if I do a mod is for practicality or convenience. Not to look cool. I have just added grab handles and i plan on a tranny cooler and gauge. But that's because I tow a boat.

I have had several vehicles. Several lol. And all the mods I have done were a waste of money. I have spent lots on cars. And now I'm going to enjoy my beautiful jeep just how it came out the box.

Not to discourage you. I am a string believer in people do what they want with there money. I would just weigh the pros and cons and do a lot of research to make sure it what you want. Or if it serves a purpose for you and your jeep.

Sorry. So rude of me. Welcome and congrats!
That's good advice you don't need a huge lift or giant tires. Take it wheeling find out what you need. Take it to a Jeep Jamboree find out what it is capable of . Congrats on your new Jeep

Just here to have fun
vincejeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
75kernal

Congrats, I just picked up my first jeep a month
Ago and so far so good, like the guy a few posts above , I'm gonna keep my JK rubi/unlimited pretty much stock as far as suspension , wheels/tires, I think it sits right, if I want to hit the rubicon I can take my FJ40 , I did however slap on a set of spidertrax spacers, AFE CAI, yes I'm getting 2 mph better overall, no BS, and just ordered a flashpaq from Nick(vendor) here. I've tuned my STI, GTI and my M3 and they have all worked great in the past so well see if superchips are worth it.... Anyways, injust took off my hardtop this afternoon by myself, wasn't too bad, just used a set of rachet straps and heavy duty hook in the garage ceiling put the soft top on which was fun cause I had to figure out where everything goes... Enough rambeling, I need another silver bullet, cheers
75kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambie View Post
So I have recently purchased a new 2012 JK. Im getting ready to make a few changes. I am wanting to get a 4in lift and while under it thinking about changing the exhaust.
Anything over 2.5" of lift and you are looking at replacing the front driveshaft, another $400-650....because the driveshaft angle and because the driveshaft can get caught on the exhaust crossover during droop.
Quote:
I wanted some opinions, thinking about going with a mopar lift (to keep the warranty)
Mopar lift will not save your warranty....the warranty issue gets debated a lot, but basically whatever lift you choose will be fine, unless the lift directly causes the warrantied part to fail....then you have issues.

Quote:
..... was thinking about going with a flowmaster for exhaust I liked the one I put on my truck. Sounded great and felt like it improved gas milage and horse power.
Again Im new and looking for some insight. I dont want to do anything that will cost me $ and have regrets down the road.
The general consensus is to steer clear of cold air intakes and exhaust systems....at least if you are looking to spend your money wisely.

Do lots and lots of research....and ask lots and lots of questions....great group of people here.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I think that is your best option --> Take your new baby offroad and see what she can do - they are highly capable just off the lot. As far as improving mileage - there isn't any magic silver bullet. Lift and big tires will reduce your MPGs, proper performance re-gear can bring most of that back. Cold Air Intakes and custom cat-backs only improve sound, which may make your heart race faster - however, there are little if no real-world performance changes - especially for the cost of these upgrades. I could only justify a stainless cat-back for the anti-corrosion properties. Your real big problem now is spending money on upgrades continuously... welcome to the forum!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
75kernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzalachis
Yeah, I think that is your best option --> Take your new baby offroad and see what she can do - they are highly capable just off the lot. As far as improving mileage - there isn't any magic silver bullet. Lift and big tires will reduce your MPGs, proper performance re-gear can bring most of that back. Cold Air Intakes and custom cat-backs only improve sound, which may make your heart race faster - however, there are little if no real-world performance changes - especially for the cost of these upgrades. I could only justify a stainless cat-back for the anti-corrosion properties. Your real big problem now is spending money on upgrades continuously... welcome to the forum!
I was getting 15.7mpg on stock intake, with a cheaper AFR CAI I'm avg 17.9 mpg, I do live higher elevation tho, so I'm getting a
Bit more MPG and I do like the sound, lol
75kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Cambie
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok so after much debate I have decided to wait on doing anything with the CAI or Exhaust and to seriously look into suspension lifts. While out this afternoon I stopped in on local Off Road Shop and decided to ask for recommendations and look at products as well as be able to ask questions to a person in the flesh. He suggested that for what I want: (as a beginner Im not quite ready to hit the big rock crawling adventures just yet. But living on the beach would definately hit up the sand as well as some trail riding and a lil bit of mudding. I would like more clearance and to be able to add a larger tire.) His suggestion was that go with the Rubicon Express Standard 3.5" lift with Gas Bilstine shocks, his quote with labor and alignment was just over $2000. Just polling for opinions on this product and if this is a fair price for the product.

Also still confused on weather or not this will void my warranty, the guy said no but who knows if he was just trying to make a sale or not. He said that with this KIT that he hasnt run into what seems to be a common problem in the forums with the cross member running into the exhaust. Has anyone else found this to be true?
Cambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Jodyblip

i think all kits are gonna void warranty on any part related to suspension

also unless you just really really dont have any friends with places or you dont have the place consider doing the work yourself i promise its not that hard unless you get into gear changes and stuff that require precision

most lift manufacters have the install instructions on thier website you can look over and see the required tools etc

if your unsure what you wanna do i would go the very cheapest route spacer lift and or body lift. Both of these add clearance for tires while lifting the jeep thats about it if you decide you wanna get more flex via a spring lift later you really only "wasted" a few hundred bucks versus thousands

for first jeep and just wanting to try stuff out i would get like a 1.5 to 2 inch spacer lift with shock extenstions (to use factory shocks) and go wheeling like that with your factory tires and wheels for a while and see whatcha think

that will give you the modified look and feel without dumpin alot of cash in it also if you have factory rims that you like now chances are you can keep those forever and put any common size tire on them so you could also go ahead and get some spydertrax spacers to push the factory tires out some (3 inch total 1.5 on each side OR you can get the 1.75 versions for 3.5 total) this will make the stance look a little beefier as well as make it feel more stable in turns and such
Jodyblip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
luckylu
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about cold air intake or exhaust systems, but let me ask you this. If it was so easy to increase gas mileage without any tradeoffs, wouldn't Chrysler have done it already and made big bucks? My guess is that the only way to dramatically improve gas mileage is to decrease horsepower. If you disable 3 of your cylinders, you can get incredible gas mileage, like the old 3-cylinder Geo Metro.
luckylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Jodyblip

that lift kit cost about 589 bucks 4 shocks cost 400ish bucks tops so your lookin at 1000 in labor i really really think you should try the rubicon express (or any other brand) 2 inch spacer lift for about 289 bucks and try to do it yourself theres no cutting no welding pretty easy with basic tools and a decent jack

also side note just from your name i cant tell but im guessing your a girl you could FOR SURE get some local jeep guys from this forum to help you install FOR FREE(beer and flirts) as well as meet cool folks
Jodyblip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jodyblip is right, the shop is going to hit your for 1000$ in labor, that's 10 hours at shop rate which is about double what it should take a competent shop to do it...they're gouging the crap out of you.
For that price, you'd might as well have the dealer install it. Most dealers will maintain your full warranty if they install the product. (If they say they do, get it in writing.....if they don't, find another dealer)
The lift is fairly easy to install with a friend, a little patience, and a nice saturday. (and Air tools, though not a must, are a definite plus)
Rubicon Express had a nasty spot a while back, but seems to be doing better. They're not the only game in town though. See what your dealers' preference is. Or if you're going to go the DIY route, you have MANY fine options. The parts that you void warranty on with a lift, you replaced anyway. Larger tires are a different story... That all depends on how mod friendly the dealer is.
Lifts over 2.5" get expensive really fast beyond the cost of the lift, but you'll never have had so much fun emptying your bank account before!
You would be amazed at how competent your JK is with stock 255's on it and no mods though.... 285's on stock suspension will not rub and look AWESOME.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.