My First Jeep! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My First Jeep!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
zoeyyyy

My First Jeep!

Hey, so i just got a 2008 jeep wrangler about four months ago, obviously i'm 110% obsessed with it. I live in NY and i'm looking to get some new tires, i don't have a lift YET, and my main priority is new tires (like i NEED new ones within the next four months) but i'm just wondering how big i can go without having to do any major mods. Also any recommendations as far as tires and wheels go, i want something that will be good for driving in winter conditions but also give the option to go off road when i want. Thanks
-zoey

zoeyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the Jeep.

Check here and it will answer your question. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...reads-1074059/

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
mattlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
nufga
2010 JK Wrangler 

congrats and welcome! there's some good info on tire/wheel fitment in the faq here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...reads-1074059/

as far as the type of tire, i only have experience with mud-terrains- which don't do too well compared to others, unless in deep snow. i've heard good things about duratracs for both snow/offroad performance.

good luck
nufga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
zoeyyyy

I was looking at DuraTracs there in a good price range to, thanks for that link its exactly what ive been looking for.
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
BrianBFD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Asking about tires on this forum is like asking what kind of candy to buy. Base it on your budget, your planned mods, etc...

If fishing is a sport, does that make me an athlete?
BrianBFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
zoeyyyy

Well, as of right now i'm looking to spend up to $1,200 for tires wheels and everything. i know its a kind of open question but like i said this is my first jeep and i don't know that much yet, so as for other mods i know i want to lift it eventually probably over the summer. that's about as far as my plans go lol any idea for me?
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

As far as how big you can go at stock height.... Probably around 285 70 R17 is the basic consensus around these parts. Careful asking "What will fit?" because there are usually 5-10 people asking the same question every day. Feel try to do a search, or there are "Stickies" that have the answers.

Now, as for type... You can get a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers, which is a pretty decent AT tire. A set of 5 will run you around a grand, plus installation. Check DiscountTireDirect.com. Best bet is to find a tire shop in your area that matches prices. Bring in a print out, and have them match it.

As for wheels, that's personal taste. Some prefer the stock wheels, and they'll go the route of wheel spacers to push the wheels out a bit and avoid rubbing. Personally, I like to add my own look to my Jeep, and go the route of aftermarket rims that have backspacing to push out the tires on their own. Usually around 4.5" of backspacing is where you want to be. (Stock wheels are 6" or 6.25")... So the lower the number, the further out they'll stick.

I got a set of Ultra Drifters for $650 shipped, but everyone has their own preference.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
zoeyyyy

yeah ive been trying to do some more research myself, i want to learn as much as i can about my new baby but i think im going to end up having to get spacers to get the look i want and a good functioning fit i think the next step will be to go out to the shop and see what i like the look of. I've seen the grapplers on my year wrangler before and i like them the like chain tire store around me does't carry them though so i'm going to try going to the truck club shop and see if they can get them. Thanks for your help i know i'm probably asking really stupid questions

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.