Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My build thread.. Project "Saffi"

21K views 85 replies 19 participants last post by  n3tfury 
#1 ·
Since everyone else is sharing.. why not me? Since selling my TJ (still a little regretful about it), I've been taking it slow with the new JK. However, seeing that Easter Jeep Safari is around the corner, I decided to pick things up. Here is the work that I've done over the last year so far...

Here are 2 pics of the "original", untouched, un-modded...

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
On order (I ordered in mid-Feb, and STILL waiting for the parts to arrive):
3.5" Mid-Arm Rock Krawler lift
5 - 17" Black Rock rims (will have 35x12.5 BFG MT KM2 on them)
Fab Fours Stubby winch bumper (front)

Parts that I have received, but can't really do anything until the Rock Krawler kit comes in:
Bilstein 5100 series shocks
Rock Krawler adjustable front track bar
Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer (not really sure if I'm going to install this or not.. just wanted it on hand just in case)
ProComp install kit (has things like bump stop inserts, etc)

Other parts I just ordered and are on the way:
GlowShift gauges (trans temp, oil pressure, and voltmeter)
GlowShift 3-gauge pod
Daystar Dash Storage "system" (replaces the piece above the radio, and will be fabbed to work with the 3-gauge pod)
D-rings w/ isolators

I will also be ordering new front and rear driveshafts once the lift is installed, so I can get an accurate measurement for Tom Woods.

This sums it up for the next 2 weeks.

#13 ·
Today, installed a Rugged Ridge muffler skid. For those that are thinking about this product, it seems the instructions are written for a 2-door JK, because the body mounts it refers to are non-existent on the 4-door. Fortunately, I found extra bolts in my garage that worked.

Attachments

#15 ·
Thanks rballman..

I also got around to trimming the factory rock rails and cutting off some of the pinch weld to make room for the future 35s. It's not as clean as I wanted, but most people won't notice...

Attachments

#19 ·
Got the lift installed this weekend:
3.5" Mid-Arm Flex Rock Krawler
Pro-Comp install kit (bump stop extensions, rear track bar relocation kit)
Bilstein 5100 series shocks

Below are some before/after pics. After the install, my steering wheel was 45 degrees to the right. After adjusting the sleeve to realign the steering, I took it for a test drive.. go it up to 70 mph, and went over significant bumps around 40mph trying to induce DW, but none found. Only after driving it for 20 miles today, I can say that I am VERY pleased with the RK kit with the Bilstein shocks. The ride (IMHO) is better than stock: it's slightly stiffer, but still has great on-road mannerisms, takes dips in the road nicely with minimal bumpsteer, and corners with less roll than stock.

Attachments

#21 ·
As far as getting stuff done before Moab (EJS):
5 17x8 Black Rock rims (3 are in, waiting on 2 more)
5 35x12.5.17 BFG MT KM2
reinstall CB antenna mount (need to drill into new tire carrier, but need new rims first so it will clear)
reinstall 3rd brake light (again, waiting on new rims for clearance on the carrier)
Superlift dual stabilizer (again, waiting for tires/rims)
3 gauge pod install (trans temp, oil pressure, voltmeter)
Fab Fours Stubby winch bumper
new front driveshaft
adjustable upper control arms (the lower ones are dialed in as short as possible, but the pinion angle still isn't right)
Viair onboard air kit (the all-in-one that has the compressor mounted on the tank itself)
Skid Row evap canister skid plate

I think that about sums it up. To be safe, I only have 2 weekends left (technically 3, but we leave that Sunday in 3 weeks).. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK!!!

#23 ·
awesome job, looks great!! what kind of center arm rest is that you have?

#24 ·
I got those from 4WD.com, Rugged Ridge brand. But I think there really is only one manufacturer for that particular style... it just gets re-branded. Quadratec has one just like it, but the tag say "Quadratec" where mine says "Rugged Ridge"..

#28 ·
looks great so far.
how do you like those arm rests for the door? do you find that your elbow sits in the indented letters causing any discomfort or anything? i hate the people cant just make a plane looking product without plastering their name all over it anymore.
also how is that armrest on the consol working out? looks like it doesn't extend as far as the normal one, do you have any issues with your arm/elbow only resting on the very edge of it? could you provide any pictures maybe from the passenger seat with a person in the driver side with an arm on the rest?

keep up the good work. its coming along great. i love the skid plates :)

#29 · (Edited)
looks great so far.
how do you like those arm rests for the door? do you find that your elbow sits in the indented letters causing any discomfort or anything? i hate the people cant just make a plane looking product without plastering their name all over it anymore.
also how is that armrest on the consol working out? looks like it doesn't extend as far as the normal one, do you have any issues with your arm/elbow only resting on the very edge of it? could you provide any pictures maybe from the passenger seat with a person in the driver side with an arm on the rest?

keep up the good work. its coming along great. i love the skid plates :)
Thanks all.. I've also quickly realized I'm not as young as a once was... just a few years ago, I could spend all weekend in the garage, and not have to worry about a thing. Now, my back is sore, fingers sore, muscles ache.. blah blah...

The letters don't seem to bother, as we don't put much weight on them. Before the armrest, I would rest my elbow in the gap between the door and handle, and that got uncomfortable very quick. With those Misch armrests, they are adjustable, in that you can slide it forward and back, then tighten it down with the screws. I have mine set as far back as they go.
For the center armrest, I guess it boils down to where the person is sitting, meaning, if the seat is position/slid forward, you may miss the cushion part. We have our seats set fairly back (long legs), and my elbow sits about in the middle of the armrest. And I'll see about a demonstration pic with the seat set in the middle.

#31 ·
Please, please show pictures of that hard top hoist! :bowdown:

And also what kind of step guards are those?

How do you like that rear bumper? Looks really cool actually...

#32 ·
Please, please show pictures of that hard top hoist! :bowdown:
I'll take some more and post it in a few, but I'm not going to take credit for it. There are quite a few write ups on here, and I took an idea from one, merged it with another, and yet another, then tailored it for my needs.. here's the main one I used: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/hardtop-hoist-storage-write-up-395174/

And also what kind of step guards are those?
I got those here: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=11309

How do you like that rear bumper? Looks really cool actually...
I thought I had planned it better, but now that it's installed, I probably should have chose a different one. I'm not saying it's not a good bumper. It was fairly easy to install (using a jack), but having 2 people made it much easier. A lot of people from work really like it, it has a nice powder coat finish, the latch mechanism is solid (at least for now), but the "issue" I'm having is that now, the tube wrap-around parts meet up with the stock flares. I had planned on either cutting or purchasing flat fenders, and when I do that, the wrap-around part will no longer be flush with the flare, but the tires will stick out further, so it shouldn't catch on things on the trail.. it just won't look as "clean" as I would have liked...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.