My Attempt At The Mesh Grill Mod - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My Attempt At The Mesh Grill Mod

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #31
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraypat23 View Post
i peeled all the bases i used for mine and glued them down with gel loctite. by the time i finished putting all the bases on, the ones i did first were already dry. I also have the black emblem, looks so much better, go mine off amazon for the same price, right around $10!
I did the same peeling the bases took most of the time for this mod.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #32
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBullfrog View Post
Buy?!?!? Plastic dip you emblem!!!! My Jeep emblem, trail rates badges and rims have been done for 8 months with Zero issues.. $5 bones a can...
I didn't trust myself removing the emblems, I was sure I would have damaged them, which is why I bought new ones.
john304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #33
JoeJackson
2011 JK Wrangler 

Where exactly at Home Depot would you find these base mounts? I have been looking for 30 mins with no luck.
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #34
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

electrical section ask for cable tie mounts made by gardner bender.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #35
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john304

I didn't trust myself removing the emblems, I was sure I would have damaged them, which is why I bought new ones.
You don't have to remove your emblems to plastiDip them. Plasti Dip is some really cool stuff. You should YouTube it
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #36
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

I never could find them at the home depot where I live.

Had to go to lowes. Should be in electrical with zip ties around the zip ties
irishluck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #37
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john304 View Post
Use dental floss. You will need a good amount because it likes to break, but pull off enough to loop twice and then slide it behind the emblem. then just work it back and forth. the wax on the floss will help protect the paint from scratches and the emblem won't be touched, you're just cutting through the tape. you'll have a bit of cleanup to do after but that part is easy.

Also, if you do it on a day where you can park in the sun and let it heat up the emblem and glue it will work even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
I never could find them at the home depot where I live.

Had to go to lowes. Should be in electrical with zip ties around the zip ties
You have to go into the isle usually where all the wire is. Down that isle there should be a section that has the zip ties as well as electrical tools like multimeters, coax crimp, wire strippers...they are usually in there. But if you found them at Lowes then
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #38
IrishBullfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by john304

You can spray your whole jeep with plastic dip and it will peel off whenever you want it to.. I did all of my badges and taped nothing off, and it came right off my paint right around it.. YouTube is your friend :-)
IrishBullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #39
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did a similar mod yesterday, except I used a large sheet of aluminum mesh instead of the gutter guard. It's the material used in screen doors. It's not as big of a cosmetic change as I thought it would be, but I mostly wanted to keep rocks and other debris off of my radiator.
20130420_171117.jpg   20130421_091115.jpg  
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #40
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

I haven't popped the hood yet to look but how easy is it to get the grille off? I had some hail damage to my radiator so I'm going to just cover it up.

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #41
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenman
I haven't popped the hood yet to look but how easy is it to get the grille off? I had some hail damage to my radiator so I'm going to just cover it up.
Super easy! Takes less than a minute. Just pop the rivets out with a flat head and gently wiggle the grill out starting at one of the turn signals. Don't forget to unplug the turn signals once the grill is loose.
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #42
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders82 View Post
Super easy! Takes less than a minute. Just pop the rivets out with a flat head and gently wiggle the grill out starting at one of the turn signals. Don't forget to unplug the turn signals once the grill is loose.
Ditto. I found that it was easier to just take the whole bulb assembly out rather than just unplugging the wiring.
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #43
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw

Ditto. I found that it was easier to just take the whole bulb assembly out rather than just unplugging the wiring.
I do the same thing. Way easy
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #44
Teeka
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJackson
Where exactly at Home Depot would you find these base mounts? I have been looking for 30 mins with no luck.
Electrical section
Teeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #45
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

subscribed for future reference. I'll want some kind of mesh behind the grill.
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.