My Attempt At The Mesh Grill Mod - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My Attempt At The Mesh Grill Mod

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
What's the feeling on the plastic gutter guard vs the metal stuff? Just as good? I want to do this mod to my Jeep soon and if the plastic stuff works well, it cuts down on painting.
It's bendable but if you tie it down tight enough with the cable ties it won't budge. And you can cut it with scissors which I think would take much less time than cutting the metal with wire cutters. The metal may also be harder to bend/conform since the bases are between the slots which stick inward so it's uneven and tightening the guard with cable ties pulls them closer, I think the plastic works fine. If I'm not mistaken someone else on here used the same thing I used with no complaints.

john304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cool! That's probably the way I'll go then. I've just seen more people use the metal stuff so I figured there might be a reason.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
Cool! That's probably the way I'll go then. I've just seen more people use the metal stuff so I figured there might be a reason.
I couldn't find any of the metal stuff and searched for gutter guard on the Lowe's website and the plastic stuff was the first to show up and it was cheap so I ordered it immediately for store pickup.
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
Waltjason
2011 JK Wrangler 

Just picked up the supplies at Lowes do you have any photos while you were installing the screen and fastening the zip ties?
Waltjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
philstricker
1998 ZJ 

Looks great. I'm going to try it on my ZJ.

couple of questions:
Where did you find the mounting brackets?
Was one roll of gutter guard enough, or did you overlap two rolls? My grill is 10" x 3' and the rolls i see at Lowe's and ACE are all 6" x 20'.

Thanks.

Last edited by philstricker; 03-29-2013 at 11:01 AM..
philstricker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #21
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

awesome idea. looks like I've found my weekend project! thanks for the tip!
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjason View Post
Just picked up the supplies at Lowes do you have any photos while you were installing the screen and fastening the zip ties?
I do not, sorry. But it's really simple.
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #23
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstricker View Post
Looks great. I'm going to try it on my ZJ.

couple of questions:
Where did you find the mounting brackets?
Was one roll of gutter guard enough, or did you overlap two rolls? My grill is 10" x 3' and the rolls i see at Lowe's and ACE are all 6" x 20'.

Thanks.
1.) Lowe's, you can find them online on their site and just order for store-pickup to save the hassle of searching for them in the store
2.) One roll was plenty, I have several feet left over.
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm still having issues with ONE of the 30 wire tie mounts. For whatever reason this one mount will not stay put even with some JB weld on it, so I think this weekend or maybe one night this week I'm going to take the grill back off and literally wrap the mount in JB weld to keep it in place.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
WhiteRavenRR
2007 JK Wrangler 

Gorilla glue will help hold the mounts in place. Use the adhesive on the mount, then dap some gorilla glue around the edges for better security. Don't use too much as it expands while drying. Also make sure everything is nice and dry before using zip ties for the best results. 24 hours is good. I left mine on the table under a ceiling fan to help the curing process. Not sure how JB Weld would work since your applying it to plastic?
WhiteRavenRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks.

I use gorilla glue a lot, not sure why I didn't use it on here.

the JB weld is nothing more than an quick drying epoxy really. It worked great on the other mounts as well as other projects I've done including small RC helicopters but it just does not like this one area of the grill. I even moved the mount up a bit thinking maybe there was something in the plastic stopping it from sticking. If this next show of JB weld doesn't work I will try the gorilla glue.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #27
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

i peeled all the bases i used for mine and glued them down with gel loctite. by the time i finished putting all the bases on, the ones i did first were already dry. I also have the black emblem, looks so much better, go mine off amazon for the same price, right around $10!
xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraypat23
i peeled all the bases i used for mine and glued them down with gel loctite. by the time i finished putting all the bases on, the ones i did first were already dry. I also have the black emblem, looks so much better, go mine off amazon for the same price, right around $10!
I did the same. I also used water to clean the grill where I would be epoxying the bases and once that dried, I wiped the area down with alcohol.
I used a marine epoxy. So far so good!
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Heres my grill mod.

I went with the metal expandable mesh, only cause I wanted to powder coat it green!
dscn1717.jpg   dscn1724.jpg  
irishluck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
IrishBullfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot
where did you find the black emblem
Buy?!?!? Plastic dip you emblem!!!! My Jeep emblem, trail rates badges and rims have been done for 8 months with Zero issues.. $5 bones a can...
IrishBullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.