My attempt on Hood mount jack brackets - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My attempt on Hood mount jack brackets

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

My attempt on Hood mount jack brackets

So I decided to make some hood mount jack brackets with some extra metal laying around the garage.

To cheap to pay $50+ for brackets.

Here are some pictures. What do you think?

dscn1896r.jpg   dscn1897r.jpg   dscn1898r.jpg   dscn1899r.jpg   dscn1904r.jpg  

dscn1905r.jpg  
irishluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I hope you never get into an accident, or dont want your hilift to function at all for its intended purpose. Corroding components and the jack flying through the windshield isn't the greatest moments in life.

The bottom portion isn't gusseted. Asking for a crack along those bottom goober welds

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

I like your work but have to say that I'm with Spyder on this. Hood mounts are great for trailer queens but very dangerous on the street.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I hope you never get into an accident, or dont want your hilift to function at all for its intended purpose. Corroding components and the jack flying through the windshield isn't the greatest moments in life.

The bottom portion isn't gusseted. Asking for a crack along those bottom goober welds
Big Gusset!!! the stress on that weld will be incredible if there's any impact loads.
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

I give you an A++ on the idea and work.

but like others have said that placement seems like a bad spot for driving on the street. I see random people every now and then in my town with hi-lifts mounted on their hood, it makes me cringe all the time. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that flying through the windshield, or breaking loose and going into the car infront.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think they look pretty good for a DIY mod. As others have said, throw on a gusset and I think you'll be all set.

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well I do have to say that the welds are like 100% solid. Did some stress test on them and they are very strong.

On the other hand someone mentioned corrosion. There shouldn't ever be any cause I tore the whole thing apart and powder coated it with a rust preventing primer and then the green powder coat. And powder coating is very strong against scratched. So as long as no harsh scratches, no corrosion.
I had to add a gusset on the top but forget to do the bottom so Ill take them off and do that.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
I had to add a gusset on the top but forget to do the bottom so Ill take them off and do that.
Smart move. I love to see homemade mods and I make a few things myself. One thing Iíve learned while fabricating is that there is no shame in scrapping what youíve made for a much better design. I call them fatal flaws (not as in death though) because they wonít work for one reason or the other; itís a learning process.

Just a suggestion if you like; since you are welding both the inside and outside of a joint plus an addition of a full gusset then you can safely grind the outside edges for a more professional look. Make sure that there is plenty of weld on the outside corners/edges if you do plan to grind and only grind it enough to blend it all in.

You mentioned that you powder coated them, did you send them out or do you have your own setup at home?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Smart move. I love to see homemade mods and I make a few things myself. One thing Iíve learned while fabricating is that there is no shame in scrapping what youíve made for a much better design. I call them fatal flaws (not as in death though) because they wonít work for one reason or the other; itís a learning process.

Just a suggestion if you like; since you are welding both the inside and outside of a joint plus an addition of a full gusset then you can safely grind the outside edges for a more professional look. Make sure that there is plenty of weld on the outside corners/edges if you do plan to grind and only grind it enough to blend it all in.

You mentioned that you powder coated them, did you send them out or do you have your own setup at home?
Only problem is the way that the bracket attaches to the hood, it will be hard to add a gusset. Ill figure something out though.

I have my own powder coating system at home Ive set up.
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck View Post
Only problem is the way that the bracket attaches to the hood, it will be hard to add a gusset. Ill figure something out though.

I have my own powder coating system at home Ive set up.
Actually itís not and scrap the ones you have now and start over. Itís best if you have some type of template material like say some thin cardboard so you can mock up something that will work. Sometimes the simplest of things can give you a lot trouble. Just take your time and youíll figure it out. I canít tell you how many times that Iíve had to walk away from something I was fabing up and come back the next day with a fresh clear mind.

Thatís cool with the powder coat setup that you have. Iíve always wanted one ever since they started making them for home shops (many years ago) but never did get one. Do you have a dedicated oven instead of the one used for cooking?
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
irishluck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Actually itís not and scrap the ones you have now and start over. Itís best if you have some type of template material like say some thin cardboard so you can mock up something that will work. Sometimes the simplest of things can give you a lot trouble. Just take your time and youíll figure it out. I canít tell you how many times that Iíve had to walk away from something I was fabing up and come back the next day with a fresh clear mind.

Thatís cool with the powder coat setup that you have. Iíve always wanted one ever since they started making them for home shops (many years ago) but never did get one. Do you have a dedicated oven instead of the one used for cooking?
I usually do make templates but this time I didn't. I usually just cut out 2 pieces if I need two brackets for something, clamp them both together and grind them both even so they are both the same.

I don't really get frustrated at making my brackets. The longer it takes, the better. Keeps me and my mind busy =D

Oh I love the powder coating system I have. Right now I have two dedicated toaster ovens I use. That's all Ive needed so far for the parts I've coated. But at the moment am drawling up plans for a bigger oven so I can put body parts and wheels into and such.

If anyone here wants any small items coated or if you do, Id be more than happy to work something out for you =D

(don't have a lot more left I can powder coat on my jeep )
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Wish I lived near you, Iíd take you up on that offer. There are so many things that I make and wish they were powder coated instead of painted.
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm on the fence about powder coating. I've heard it's common for the powder coat on wheels to crack. More specifically, it spiderwebs (or shatters) if there is an impact. Have you ever experienced this?
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18 View Post
I like your work but have to say that I'm with Spyder on this. Hood mounts are great for trailer queens but very dangerous on the street.
Agreed, IMHO, hood mounts are suitable for offroad, however I'm not fussy about having a 30-40lb chunk of metal on my hood on the street/highway. Those mounts should be gussetted somehow in the event of a smack-up or eventual breakage due to metal fatigue.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
...Those mounts should be gussetted somehow in the event of a smack-up or eventual breakage due to metal fatigue.
Yup, this is the main reason to scrap the current ones and start fresh. It may not be visible to the naked eye but whenever driving the Jeep those brackets as they stand now are constantly moving/vibrating and will eventually break at the none gusseted end.

In this case (hood mounts) itís much better to overbuild and be safe than sorry.

Also I must say that if it were me I would find a more suitable place to mount the high lift and keep it off the hood (kinda old school). Just taking it on and off leaves the potential to drop it on your hood among other things. Have you considered moving it inside your Jeep, say on the roll bar? Lots of options available for mounting it there including making your own.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.