My 2012 pings up steep hills. Is there a reflash to fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > My 2012 pings up steep hills. Is there a reflash to fix?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Dale_K

My 2012 pings up steep hills. Is there a reflash to fix?

I have the base model 2012 with the manual trans, 3.73 gears and I live in a hilly community. On steep hills I get a pretty strong pinging from the motor and I think it's getting worse. The typical situation is 1,900 to 2,300 rpm with about 1/3 throttle in 3rd and 4th gear. At first I tried just going from 4th to 3rd and that does raise the rpm but it still pings about the same. Yesterday I filled up with 89 octane and that didn't seem to make any difference at all. Funny thing is on a different steeper and longer hill I don't get any ping at 2,300 in 4th at full throttle. The hill where the pinging is worse doesn't require full throttle but the curves limit how fast I can go so I can't just charge up it.

It's like the engine computer doesn't have a good map for part throttle, moderate load, moderate rpm. It's not reacting to the knock sensor or can't pull timing or maybe can't move the cam phasers enough to correct. At least that's my theory. I was hoping there might be a reflash. I know there's one for the head problem (that never works to prevent head failure) and I don't know if that reflash might do some good for my situation. I don't have the ticking or CEL issues on mine.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
gonwhln
2007 JK Wrangler 

process of elimination:

not using low octane fuel?
Superchips or programmer installed?
Large tires with no regear?
Evo rear King Coilovers, Recon front King Coilovers, Rock Krawler all 8 control arms & links, CV driveshafts, removed rear sway bar, Custom skids, Viair OBA with dual compressors mounted behind tailights & 2gal tank, Warn M8000, Body Armor rear bumper and carrier w/custom rotopax, front Poison Spyder Brawler lite bumper, Herculined tub, Cobra 75wx cb, daystar switch panel, Hella lights, custom cut fenders, 17" black alloys w/ 35" treadwright Guard dogs, Gusseted and regeared to 5.13's, Teraflex drag link flip, cut and dieted, Benchmark HD oil pan, RK deep sump HD tranny pan.
gonwhln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

The first issue would be a steep hill at 2k rpm. You are dogigng that engine hard.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Your theory is real strong Dale. I would get it in to the dealer asap and see if you have a bad knock sensor or something. It should not ping at all regardless of load, octane or steepness of hill.
Unread 08-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Exacly what jwm said. There are knock sensors on the engine, it should not ping at all uless you got some really bad gas. if it still does it with gas from a different station, I would take it to the dealer.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Sure it's not the trans ? My trans rattles and it sounds identical to engine pinging.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
surfdogs
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is good info. I have a 2008 with 33s and 85k. It pings a bit, but if I put 89 octane gas in, it goes away. I'll need to look into the knock sensor.
surfdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Dale_K

I guess I'll take it in. I realize that you can make almost any engine ping if you're lugging it but I drive several other manual trans vehicles on the same roads and they don't ping. I feel like I'm driving them about the same. The other reason I don't think I'm lugging it is the Jeeps is able to maintain pace and even accellerate a little while it's pinging. I don't know what the reflash for the head failure does but since Jeep is blaming those on a combination of fuel quality and driving patterns maybe it does something that might help my pinging problem.

I expect to be frustrated when I take it in since they won't be able to duplicate it in an area of flat terrain, which is the situation near the dealership.
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Keep us updated Dale
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

does it sound like there is a rock floating around in the bottom of a barrel? thats your 6-speed. they ALL rattle since 2005.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Dale_K

A little update - there has finally been some cool weather here in Arkansas and the pinging totally stops when the temperature gets down around 60. I was really surprised by the huge difference in the way my Jeep runs. I was able to drive up hills where the pinging was bad and even at 2000 rpm there is no pinging at all. I really want to get the 3.6 reflash that came out with the head failures but I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet. I suspect the 3.6 would benefit from a lower temperature thermostat, too.
Unread 10-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
jeepnie87
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6
does it sound like there is a rock floating around in the bottom of a barrel? thats your 6-speed. they ALL rattle since 2005.
I've definitely noticed this on mine. Has there been any issue with this that you know of, or is that just the way it is? Thanks
jeepnie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

just the way it is

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
Schocker65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
A little update - there has finally been some cool weather here in Arkansas and the pinging totally stops when the temperature gets down around 60. I was really surprised by the huge difference in the way my Jeep runs. I was able to drive up hills where the pinging was bad and even at 2000 rpm there is no pinging at all. I really want to get the 3.6 reflash that came out with the head failures but I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet. I suspect the 3.6 would benefit from a lower temperature thermostat, too.
Dale - are you having the same problem now that the outside temps are going up again? I am having the same problem now that it is getting warmer outside.

Or did you find a solution?
Schocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

the reflash I think is cover up to delay the need for Jeep to replace the head. a software fix for a mechanical flaw.

The ping if not corrected with 89. Might well be sign of the valve going out in #2.

One thing I have not heard from at least found a post related. I might just go to my trusted mechanic I use for things I can not do. I do not trust the dealers. Have #2 checked with, leak down test or even a scope camera to see how that seat looks. Jeep is hidding this issue like the Goverment is Benghazi.

my 2$ adusted for inflation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.