Must have offroad options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Must have offroad options

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
NorthRiver

Must have offroad options

I'm 99% sure I'm not going with the Rubicon. It sure looks like the X will do everything I want and more.

What options do I need to be sure and get to maximize the ability of the X?

I keep seeing traction control and LSDs on some of the jeeps. Does the traction control work with the LSD or are they independent of each other?

Does the LSD in the Jeeps actually work?

I've got a LSD in my '07 Ram 3500 and it doesn't work worth a darn. Its easily the most worthless LSD I've ever run.

NorthRiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have you ever owned a jeep? If not, then you're not familiar with the disease that comes with them. Sure, you don't think you'll need D44's, a 4:1 low and 4.10 gears now, but after 6 months you'll probably regret not going with a Rubicon. If you can afford a Rubicon, buy a Rubicon. I bet you won't regret it one bit after 6 months.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Have you ever owned a jeep? If not, then you're not familiar with the disease that comes with them. Sure, you don't think you'll need D44's, a 4:1 low and 4.10 gears now, but after 6 months you'll probably regret not going with a Rubicon. If you can afford a Rubicon, buy a Rubicon. I bet you won't regret it one bit after 6 months.
True... Or you blow off the regret and BUILD the X into a beast http://n2rock.com/My%20Rig.html

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.

Last edited by N2rock; 11-17-2009 at 11:15 AM..
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

as far as "must haves"- everyone situation is different. The trails I go on are probably different than the ones you'll go on. Best thing is to take it out a few times stock. This way you can discover the "weaknesses", and build up the areas that are going to benefit you the most.

But before you go out- make sure your X has tow hooks front & rear, and buy a good recovery strap. Those are necessities no matter what rig you are wheeling. Beyond that, everything is about building it the right way for the type of wheeling you do.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
toyota4x405
2007 JK Wrangler 

Traction control and LSD is completely different. Traction Control will cut power to the wheels if one starts spinning (on road only). If you put it in 4wd, the traction control is turned off. I didn't want the LSD because all Jk's come with the BLD (brake locking differental) and it is pretty much the same thing except it uses the brakes to control the spinning wheel and give more power to the one that is not spinning. I think it would be a waste of money (IMHO) because once you but a big enough lift on it to actually need the LSD over the BLD, then you need to go ahead and get a real locker. I have heard that the LSD works really good in the Jeeps though.
Green Jeep Club Member #254

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTJ View Post
'REAL Jeepers don`t cry about other Jeepers not waving at them!'
toyota4x405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
toyota4x405
2007 JK Wrangler 

Listen to N2Rock, he knows what he is talking about. Also, some clearification on the recovery strap. It is not the same as a tow strap. Tow straps have hooks, recovery straps do not. Also, recovery straps will last longer than tow straps because tow straps aren't supposed to be used to like recovery straps, just used to pull another car down the road.
Green Jeep Club Member #254

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTJ View Post
'REAL Jeepers don`t cry about other Jeepers not waving at them!'
toyota4x405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
True... Or you blow off the regret and BUILD the X into a beast N2rock- Jeep Wrangler JK !
I'm all for built and not bought (I started out with a bone stock sport with 3.07 gears and Dana 35 rear) but unless the OP will be going to 37's or larger, the Rubi will save him money in the long run.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
justjeepinorfw

Remember, JEEP stands for "Just Empty Every Pocket"! You'll add all kinds of things to it. The only vehicle that has almost as many aftermarket parts and accessories is the Volkswagen Beetle.

Unread 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
NorthRiver

The wheeling in the NW doesn't involve much in the way of rock-crawling. Its mostly muddy,rocky trails that wind through the trees. There are some areas to rock-crawl but that really doesn't appeal to me.

I've got a couple recovery straps from my '98 Z-71 (they got used a lot ) I've also got a Warn 8274,a hi-lift,and all the goodies to go with the winch.
Unread 11-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

N2Rock is right on. Wheel it and see what you need. Do not go out alone, and bring a strap along. I see you are in Wa. What part. I'm in Olympia. Where you wheel will give you an idea of what you need.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
NorthRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
N2Rock is right on. Wheel it and see what you need. Do not go out alone, and bring a strap along. I see you are in Wa. What part. I'm in Olympia. Where you wheel will give you an idea of what you need.

Bob K.

Most of the time I spend outdoors is on the east side of the state. The trails I'm most familiar with are near Naches and Yakima. I've ridden bikes and quads in Walker Valley but I don't think there is much in the way of trails for SUVs or trucks there.

I've heard a bunch about Elbe Hills but have never been there.
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

You can buy a locker that has LSD built in; the OE LSD that's available is a pale comparison and weak compared to something from the aftermarket.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthRiver View Post
Most of the time I spend outdoors is on the east side of the state. The trails I'm most familiar with are near Naches and Yakima. I've ridden bikes and quads in Walker Valley but I don't think there is much in the way of trails for SUVs or trucks there.

I've heard a bunch about Elbe Hills but have never been there.
Plenty of places over the hill. Funny Rocks, Moon Rocks, Raven's Roost. Camping along the American River. Haven't done it in the Jeep yet. Plenty of years with the Bronco though. Elbe Hills, Tahuya, and Reiter are on this side.

Here's a link to a great website, with trail descriptions and ratings.

Washington Trails
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post

Bob K.
x2 on the don't go out alone. I did... at night... in water... and ended up getting stuck for 30 minutes up to the pedals in water. Had to get a tow truck to get me out... if I had a locker I would have been fine. Cost me $120 and my pride.

Tow = $120
Diff. Fluid change = $30
Time spent = 4 hours (had to clean carpets twice)

Def. go stock first though. I had a bone stock x with street tires and I was thoroughly surprised at its capabilities.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4jkx View Post
x2 on the don't go out alone. I did... at night... in water... and ended up getting stuck for 30 minutes up to the pedals in water. Had to get a tow truck to get me out... if I had a locker I would have been fine. Cost me $120 and my pride.

Tow = $120
Diff. Fluid change = $30
Time spent = 4 hours (had to clean carpets twice)

Def. go stock first though. I had a bone stock x with street tires and I was thoroughly surprised at its capabilities.
thats not too bad we had a rubi, yes i said it, stuck for 8 hours in a mud hole, the mud and muck and water was to the hood and half way up the rest of the jeep, i however did not take my X in it.

i would def advise doin one or two mods at a time to find exactly what equipment will suite you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.