Muffler Leaking Water - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Muffler Leaking Water

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Muffler Leaking Water

I just noticed today but my muffler is leaking a significant amount of water. It looks like it may have taken a hit but it hasn't done this for the last week or so.

Is this normal? Aside from muffler replacement, any suggestions to fix it?

Thanks!

photo-3-.jpg   photo-4-.jpg  
2010 JK Rubicon - Flame Red - 3.5" AEV Premium Suspension Lift w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 17" AEV Savegre Wheels, 35x12.50 r17 BFG KM2's - Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper w/ 10,500lb Winch - Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper w/ Swing Out Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder JK Evap Skid Plate - KC Slimlite Long Range
mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
ls6tt
2010 JK Wrangler 

is this for real?

condensation inside the muffler and exhaust being sent out the pipe when started, incase you are seriously asking
ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

thats normal eyy, what ls6tt said, thats way too funny.
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
owenswj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6tt View Post
is this for real?

condensation inside the muffler and exhaust being sent out the pipe when started, incase you are seriously asking
Why be a punk about it and just answer the Op's question. Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are buddy.

Yes, its normal and okay.
Unread 12-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
kik

It's doing what it's supposed to do. Normal.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

I understand that it is supposed to condensate but what kind of worried me is the amount of water that it is leaking. That puddle is from about 3 minutes.

Thanks owens, i was thinking the same thing about that guy but i was just going to ignore him.
2010 JK Rubicon - Flame Red - 3.5" AEV Premium Suspension Lift w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 17" AEV Savegre Wheels, 35x12.50 r17 BFG KM2's - Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper w/ 10,500lb Winch - Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper w/ Swing Out Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder JK Evap Skid Plate - KC Slimlite Long Range
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
kik

I definately believe you were asking a legit question, especially since you took the time to post pics. As was stated, totally normal. Temp., atmospheric pressure, have everything to do with the condensation your system is pushing through as it warms up. You have a tight system which is a good thing.
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Kik

Just one more question, the water is coming out of the muffler where the dent is, not the pipe, is that normal too?
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
kik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp83 View Post
Thanks Kik

Just one more question, the water is coming out of the muffler where the dent is, not the pipe, is that normal too?
The only thing I see in the pic. is the drain hole that is manufactured into most mufflers. I don't see a dent just the normal contours of a JK muffler. Condensation is going to come out there and the tail pipe.
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

ok just wasn't sure if the drain hole was normal, i was referring to the drain hole as the dent

thanks dude, this makes me feel much better!

thanks and merry christmas!
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
ls6tt
2010 JK Wrangler 

actually you are welcome. I worded exactly the way I meant it. Were you being serious. I did not know if you were or were not, so I asked and then answered in case you were seriously asking.
ls6tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just in case you do need a new muffler bearing (and who doesn't?) here is a link - and many more useful and well know parts....
Muffler Bearing - $49.99 : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If this makes you feel any better I once had my own auto shop (engine rebuilding, etc.) many years ago and I though that my exhaust system was leaking (water under my Jeep) too. The dealer told me that the exhaust was built that way and was normal. Iím well aware of it coming out the exhaust pipe but not in the middle of my Jeep. Sometimes you just have to ask.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #14
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It can drain quite a bit at first startup in the morning. When you parked it the evening before, the exhaust was cooking, and as it cooled, water condensed out of moisture in the air inside the pipe. This water, in addition to the normal amount produced by the cats is pumped out of the water vent in the muffler.

The amount of thought that Chrysler put in the JK muffler surprised me, as the muffler would rust out quickly if that water was allowed to stay in. I'm trying to find a schematic of my edelbrock muffler to drill a weep hole in it. That hole also allows any water to drain that comes in the tailppipe during deep water crossings if you end up stalling the engine.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #15
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Water is one of the major byproducts of burning gasoline.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.