Muffler confusion! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Muffler confusion!

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 05-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
iheartmopar
2011 JK Wrangler 

Muffler confusion!

Hey team. I'm going to be putting a flowmaster 40 series on my JK and i will be locating it in the stock piping just behind the drivers seat.
My only real concern/question is; can I make a muffler with an offset in/center out fit on the pipes? if anyone has pictures please show me! thanks!

iheartmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

Really bad pictures I know, but is this what you mean? If so, yes it works on my 08. I would suggest applying a heat shield or matting the bottom of the floor right there once the pipe is out of the way. Otherwise it gets wicked hot on road trips and it even melted part of my rubber floor mat one time when I wasnt running any carpet.
dsc01814.jpg   dsc01819.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Doesn't Flow Master make a replacement for the stock muffler?

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
iheartmopar
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlerobx View Post
Really bad pictures I know, but is this what you mean? If so, yes it works on my 08. I would suggest applying a heat shield or matting the bottom of the floor right there once the pipe is out of the way. Otherwise it gets wicked hot on road trips and it even melted part of my rubber floor mat one time when I wasnt running any carpet.

Ah perfect!!!! thanks mate! Yeah i'll be putting the heat shield there too. did the pipes just line right up once you took the stock muffler off?
I'd assume so due to the rubber hangers.
Unread 05-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
iheartmopar
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
Doesn't Flow Master make a replacement for the stock muffler?

yeah it does but for what you are getting, its wayy to expensive. Plus i'd much rather have the sound of the 40 series.
Unread 05-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
iheartmopar
2011 JK Wrangler 

The other question i had was:

Short pipe after muffler = throatier sound
or is it
long pipe = throatier sound

Which one is it!!
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
wrestlerobx
2008 JK Wrangler 

Either way it is still a V6 and it isnt going to be too throaty but it sounds better and you can actually hear something lol. There was no need to change hangers around but I do believe we added one hanger up. Although I can't go check for you since it is a couple thousand miles away at the moment...

Tags
exhaust , flowmaster , jk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.