Mudsucking manual tranny - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mudsucking manual tranny

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #31
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
FYI the crawl ratio on the Rubicon, with the 4.10 diff and the NV241 OR Rock-Trac/Xfer case--has the SAME crawl ratio (4lo) of 73/1 manual or auto !!!

Have a great night !!

JIMBO
hmm no they dont....here is a thread explaining it
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/g...speed-1075016/

Quote:
Now look a little deeper. The OD on the 42rle is 15% higher than the NSG370. So, for any given tire size, RPM's will be 15% lower. This is why the axle gearing needs are very different for the two transmissions. Just saying "you need 4.88 gears for 35" tires" doesn't do it. You're missing out on half the story. Axle gearing is simply a function of engine, transmission, and tire size. The NSG370 also makes use of a much lower first gear, which is awesome for crawling. Lastly, it has 2 more gears before OD, so the RPM drop between gears is reduced considerably compared to the 42rle, helping the engine stay in its powerband. Combine all of that and the numbers speak for themselves--4.10's and 35's are very liveable with the NSG and not even close with the 42rle. To give you the same performance as an equivalent JK with the NSG, you should gear ~20% deeper with the 42rle.

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #32
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

All well and good, but we weren't talking about the various gearing advantages to the 6-spd, I agree to that, but

Just talking about 1st gear/4lo Rubi xfer case and 4.10's for CRAWL ratio is the same manual/auto-yes, all the rest is slightly different-

I have Big 33'6" Hankooks with my auto and 4.10 gears--no Problem, I just have TO ALMOST NEVER USE OD !!!!

My JKU Rubi, is a hobby not a DD, so it is very ADEQUATE

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #33
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
All well and good, but we weren't talking about the various gearing advantages to the 6-spd, I agree to that, but

Just talking about 1st gear/4lo Rubi xfer case and 4.10's for CRAWL ratio is the same manual/auto-yes, all the rest is slightly different-

I have Big 33'6" Hankooks with my auto and 4.10 gears--no Problem, I just have TO ALMOST NEVER USE OD !!!!

My JKU Rubi, is a hobby not a DD, so it is very ADEQUATE

JIMBO
You have 33 foot 6 inch tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #34
bubba2u
2009 JK Wrangler 

back on topic
the spec 3 clutch is impervious to mud and water. the problem is the POS throw out bearing is not. so it will fail even if the clutch lives on. i don't know how you can seal up the manual case. you have to deal with the mating surface, the slots on the bottom of the bell housing and the slave cylinder. also on the 6 speed there is a vent hole with no tube on top of the shifter plate that you need to address to stop water from getting in the transmission. some big trucks have a grease-able throw out bearing. don't know of one for the jk.
bubba2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #35
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

"Manuals are more fun to drive" is a misnomer. I loved the 6-speed in my 500hp Z06, but manually shifting a heavy 4-door, truck-based SUV with only 202hp sounds like the worst day of my life.
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #36
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMETIME View Post
"Manuals are more fun to drive" is a misnomer. I loved the 6-speed in my 500hp Z06, but manually shifting a heavy 4-door, truck-based SUV with only 202hp sounds like the worst day of my life.
That is what gears are for
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #37
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaHunter View Post
That is what gears are for
I've grown accustomed to relating manual transmissions with powershifting at redline down the 1/4-mile strip or rev matching a downshift when approaching a hard turn at 120mph during an HPDE. I never thought people would consider 'fun' as shifting a slow and bulky vehicle and riding the clutch over a rock until I registered on these forums after I bought the JK. To each their own, I guess.
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #38
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I've grown accustomed to relating manual transmissions with powershifting at redline down the 1/4-mile strip or rev matching a downshift when approaching a hard turn at 120mph during an HPDE. I never thought people would consider 'fun' as shifting a slow and bulky vehicle and riding the clutch over a rock until I registered on these forums after I bought the JK. To each their own, I guess.
I didn't know a vehicle could go 120. Mine only goes to 100, I looked at the speed-o-meter
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #39
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I remember the thread that (Warlord2) is talking about.
It was a full metalic stage three clutch install and there was a video.
I'm not sure if it was in here or in engine/drivetrain forum.
I'll see if I can find it!
WTH? I thought it was common JF knowledge that absolutely no clutch is better in the Jeep than a LuK.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #40
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Why would you want to do 100mph in a Jeep? Manual is great since you can select your exact gear.

I find driving 6 spd a lot of fun in the summer when it's 90 outside and the top is down. I don't see how a Jeep is "bulky" its smaller then most vehicles.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #41
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I don't understand this. I have a small car collection including a Viper and a Lotus and all but one, the Landcrusier, are sticks. I understand where an automatic could be more practical for rock-climbing or other off-road conditions, but for general driving I much prefer a stick to keep from getting bored and for more involvement with the driving experience.

With power steering, the Jeep feels no more heavy or bulky than any other vehicle. Have you tried driving a stick JK? Driving a Jeep at 90 mph would probably be as exciting as driving a 'vette at 150, just in a different way.
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #42
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you are in low range and in a low gear - just turn the engine over, it should fire up and drive away...done it before, but not in a high gear.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #43
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you're geared correctly you won't have to ride the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #44
Ravik
2010 JK Wrangler 

I come from the C6 era of automatics, mated to big block V8s... Hell, I used to quarter-mile a 460/C6/9" setup.

But all of my Jeeps have been manuals, specifically T-18/Dana 20 setups as they're cheap and awesome. My personal opinion is that nothing will ever work quite as well as that transmission/transfer setup on D44 or D60 axles for OHV use...

I guess it's just part of the 'image' for me; gobs of ground clearance, big tires, deer strainer, removable doors, canvas top, and a cane sticking out of the tunnel...

I figure if I did more 'extreme' rock work I'd be really interested in an auto just so the torque converter could turn a tricky climb into little effort and lots of heat... But so far I've not had any issue with the 6-speed and rock-trac setup.

Ultimately I guess it's like any other car forum - transmission type is a religion.
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #45
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am shocked by all the Dogmatic opinions!! I though we all had the same goal? Does it matter how we do it? We all know what Jeep we bought with whatever options, who gaves a crap what the other guy thinks, its yours isn't it?? Thats what these Jeeps are suppose to signify, Freedom (I.E. Your choice)
Well at least I know my name is on the title and no one else. Case Closed.
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.