Mudsucking manual tranny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mudsucking manual tranny

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
NorthBeaver
2010 JK Wrangler 

Mudsucking manual tranny

We just recovered a jk rubicon stuck in deep clay mud.
The clutch failed from sucking in mud.
The rig had to be towed.
I thought we had mud capable vehicles.
There must be some way to plug the holes in the tranny and run a breather tube up high. I have searched to no avail.
How can such a glaring vulnerability in our jeeps be without an aftermarket remedy?
Push the clutch in while you are stuck in deep mud and your tranny is toast?
And the entire jeep community is complacent with this?
What's up with that?

NorthBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
ncb

I thought it was common knowledge to never press the clutch pedal while in water or mud. That's why you can start the engine with out pressing the clutch in 4Lo.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

get a Stage 3 clutch and you wont have as much of a problem. There are clutch vents so the 6 spd tranny is not as seals as the automatics. There are ways of sealing it but I have never seen anyone do it yet with a JK. What you do is plug the vent either with a welded plate or whatever, drill a hole in the plug for a vacuum tube and then route the line up to the intake box. The intake will create a blowing effect on the clutch that cools it like it was stock.

Basically the stock clutch is junk compared to the aftermarkets, a stage 3 has much tougher plates that will not get destroyed by rocks and dirt NEARLY as fast. The clutch would be more sensitive and gets some getting used to but from what I hear its very tolerable. Its also only about $500, dont ask me who makes it because I lost my bookmark in a format awhile back I will try and find the thread, I think a member here installed one and really liked it. There has been cases where stock clutches blow up just from normal trail abuse. Stage 3 is what Im getting once I damage this one!
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
I thought it was common knowledge to never press the clutch pedal while in water or mud. That's why you can start the engine with out pressing the clutch in 4Lo.
Should be. I know I've accidentally done it before in a river crossing.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I remember the thread that (Warlord2) is talking about.
It was a full metalic stage three clutch install and there was a video.
I'm not sure if it was in here or in engine/drivetrain forum.
I'll see if I can find it!
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
omgwtfbbqcopter

I had no idea you weren't supposed to press the clutch in water or mud. That's a new one for me. I always knew it's a good idea to change the differential fluid when the axles have been submerged, but not to refrain from clutch use.
omgwtfbbqcopter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

I wonder if anyone has ever completely sealed one up and then ran a forced air cooling system with an electric fan or something.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBeaver View Post
We just recovered a jk rubicon stuck in deep clay mud.
The clutch failed from sucking in mud.
The rig had to be towed.
I thought we had mud capable vehicles.
There must be some way to plug the holes in the tranny and run a breather tube up high. I have searched to no avail.
How can such a glaring vulnerability in our jeeps be without an aftermarket remedy?
Push the clutch in while you are stuck in deep mud and your tranny is toast?
And the entire jeep community is complacent with this?
What's up with that?
a ruined clutch does not equal a ruined transmission, you just drop the tranny and replace the clutch, put it back together and be done with it.

its not a problem with our Jeeps, its an issue with ANY manual transmission 4x4.

mud and water ruin clutches. This is why you need to pick your line, select what gear you think will be best, and hit it without touching the clutch. Giant mud slogs are a commitment with a manual, because once you're in, you're in and if you stall, you have to start it again in gear or the clutch is toast (I believe 4-lo in the JK over rides the clutch safety feature and lets you start in gear for this reason).
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
GXP20T
2010 JK Wrangler 

But manuals won't overheat like the autos will. It's a trade-off.
GXP20T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Question. I understand the part about how you can start the Jeep in 4lo without using the clutch, but somewhere along the way dont you have to put it in gear?
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
usn
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaHunter View Post
Question. I understand the part about how you can start the Jeep in 4lo without using the clutch, but somewhere along the way dont you have to put it in gear?
My understand, leave it in gear (1st) start it up and away you go.
usn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
JEEP_GREEN_4DR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaHunter View Post
Yep. If you get stuck, shut off the engine and drop it into 4LO, then while still in gear, start er back up.

If you're stuck like chuck, you just let the wheels keep spinning and wait for someone to pull ya out.

Depressing the clutch while it's submerged =
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
TEEEJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Correct.

ALL manual tranny trucks need ventilation for the clutch, and its essentially open to the air, or, if deep enough, the water.

If the water is clean, its not a big deal, but, the dirtier the water, the more wear and tear on the clutch plates.

It doesn't ruin the tranny...its the clutch plates, that's it.

If you are going to do a crossing, pick the gear you are going to be in the entire way across, and go.

If it stalls, do not put it into neutral, leave it in gear,and restart as discussed.

For most people, shifting under water once in a while will not ruin a trip...but if the conditions are right (WRONG), well, you can get so much crap in there that you have to flush it out to be able to clutch again.

On the bright side...if you flush it out WITHOUT running the plates against each other...you are able to call it a day, and be fine.

Its the grinding of the plates against each other with the crud as a grinding compound, that causes the log term damage.

Obviously, if you are really unlucky, and its thick clay, well, it probably isn't rinsing out with a hose..but opening it all up and cleaning it out is still an option.

TEEEJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

There's no trade-off between the auto/manual--

For less than $75 bucks--the auto will NEVER overheat, or "jump-outta-1st gear" !!

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
TEEEJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
There's no trade-off between the auto/manual--

For less than $75 bucks--the auto will NEVER overheat, or "jump-outta-1st gear" !!

JIMBO
LOL

We get our money back at the gas station.

TEEEJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.