Move from N. California to Texas!Oil still full. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Move from N. California to Texas!Oil still full.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Closed Thread
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
Carmelsteve
2010 JK Wrangler 

Fairly new to this forum, but have been watching it for a while now and bought my JK a few months ago. Just a couple of comments on this subject. I work in healthcare and we have a lot of folks from other states working for us. The one thing I always notice is that they all complain about this or that in California, but here they are living here. They could live anywhere, but they come here and stay here if they can afford it.
Another thing I also see is that people in other states really assume that Cal. is like they see it on TV-think Baywatch. I've travelled to nearly every state (and to over 20 foreign countries) and California has the most diverse geography and population of anywhere I've been. There's everything from the tropical weather in San Diego to glaciers in the high mountains. California has about twice the agriculture of the next state (Texas).
Millions of people come to vacation here from all over the world for a reason. They come here to see the beaches, the mountains, and eat in the incredible restaurants. Within a half a day's drive I can be in Yosemite, Big Sur, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, etc, etc, etc. Is it cheap to live here? Nope, at least not in the nicer areas. Is it worth it? You bet.

Unread 12-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hmm, perhaps this thread should be moved to GD forum, I thought we were talking about oil consumption not about the differences between states.
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Hmm, perhaps this thread should be moved to GD forum, I thought we were talking about oil consumption not about the differences between states.
Silly mod... the life expectancy of the average thread staying on track is typically about 1 post!!!

I for one was glad to see a follow up on the oil consumption issue, and that it's possible for a rational person to come FROM Kali.

I don't have to lose any sleep over whether or not anyone likes Utah. I know it's an awesome state filled with a bunch of freaks.
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well I live in Indiana and have travled to many many states and it is safe to say that every state has its own unique set of weirdos. Everyone and everywehre is different, atleast we have the choice to move to another state if we dont like what we have.
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
jakesteel1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacasJK View Post
I ran the Jeep hard, up and down hills keeping it between 70 and 85 mph.
Checked the oil level and not a drop used. I was estimating some oil was gone, but it was still on the full mark. total is 2500 miles on the oil change.
Is it normal for the JK to consume or burn oil? What about synthetic oil, any difference there?
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Been there many times to visit family. No it is not worth it. You Californians are crazy to put up with what you do to live there! I own three times the house, paid one third the price for it, and five mintues in traffic here means it's a bad week. I also don't have to put up with the regulation goofiness you have down there and don't have people walking on top of me.

Back to the OP, glad to hear you're not having oil troubles. For those who are, switch from the recommended 5w-20 to 5w-30. I bet most of your oil consumption will, pardon the pun, disappear!
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

To answer the question of "normal" it must be defined. Normal does not mean ALL engines will consume - but that some will and to a differing extent. My 11 has not drank a drop at 15k on the odometer. My 12 at 1200 miles has not either (but then that's comparing two different engines). To put it in perspective - my 02 Caddy with the Northstar (castings by evinrude - truly a boat engine lol) holds 12 qts! operating range is 10-12 so it doesn't even show ADD until its 2 down. Now at 275k miles I have changed the oil every 5-7k (using the oil change indicator). In all those change intervals - twice it has gone down to 3 qts low - most of the time never more than 1. And it uses more at the end of the interval than the beginning (and used NONE for the first 60K).

SO even the same engine can consume "a lot" in one interval and none in the next. It all depends on how it is driven specific to that interval. Back to the JK - I change oil more often. When we do the Rubicon for example - it will run for 2 hrs in 4lo - lots of idling, crawls, more idling then a break - sitting about 10-15 minutes while we eat debrief etc - then repeat! Those cycles would be harder on the oil and the oil temp (and operating angle of the sump) so would be expected to be well above the temp than say on a 45 minute commute. So I would expect it to use more in that one day of <20 miles then it would in an entire interval of 3000+ miles of NO off road days!

SO bottom line - check often in ANY vehicle. A little effort saves a bunch of $$$.
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
jakesteel1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Back to the OP, glad to hear you're not having oil troubles. For those who are, switch from the recommended 5w-20 to 5w-30. I bet most of your oil consumption will, pardon the pun, disappear!
Any issues with going to a 5w-30?
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #24
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sad that someone started a thread just to say their jeep does NOT burn oil.

I've had fords with over 150k miles and VWs with over 200k miles, none of them burnt or leak any oil on cross country drives or otherwise. I recently drove my f150 on 35s 2600 miles across the country at 80mph, with a slide-in cabover camper and pulling a cargo trailer and it didn't use any measurable oil whatsoever.

Back on topic (I guess?), I wouldn't want to live in California either. Beautiful state, lots of diverse geography and weather, but the taxes and over regulation is retarded. I live in Oregon where the geography and terrain is nearly as diverse, tax and regulation are slightly less retarded. But Californians abandoning their home state have driven up housing prices a lot in the last 10 years, making some areas less desirable. Often they move to a couple certain areas and want to change things back to the way California was when they left.
Texas? Meh. Boring place, no thanks. Similar to southern California, you couldnt pay me to live close to the Mexico border. Houses and property are cheap but it's for a reason. I work in Louisiana/Texas and commute to/from Oregon. It's worth it to me.
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #25
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Silly mod... the life expectancy of the average thread staying on track is typically about 1 post!!!...
No truer words were ever spoken.
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
Dallas911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post

Texas code means nothing? What info gives you the idea our property tax pays anyones medical bills?

We pay to city, school and county - none of which pays medical bills - that comes from federal programs (i.e. INCOME TAX that even YOU pay - maybe).

And we pay less per thousand valuation than Cal - or NM.

Now SALES TAX goes to state - and they fund some Medical....
?? My property taxes (Dallas) cover the following categories:
City
School
County and School Equalization
College
Hospital (Parkland)
Special District

The hospital portion is $2,000 for my house. So yes, we do cover medical bills.
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #27
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas911 View Post
?? My property taxes (Dallas) cover the following categories:
City
School
County and School Equalization
College
Hospital (Parkland)
Special District

The hospital portion is $2,000 for my house. So yes, we do cover medical bills.
The hospital special district is voted on. Apparently it won by majority - so obviously Dallas WANTS to pay for Parkland...

In Ellis, Navarro, Henderson, Cherokee, Anderson and Nacogdoches (the counties I pay property tax to) we pay only county, city and school.
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #28
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
It is worth it, if you can afford it. We had a house in Prescott AZ that we went back and forth from. I missed the ocean, the kids, and laugh if you will, the people. Not that all of them are this way but our friends here are open minded, community minded, giving, caring people. No place like home I say.
If you don't like it here, don't let the door hit you in the rear end on the way out.
Cheers
Yeah Prescott AZ.
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #29
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

Our property taxes out here aren't that bad, we let the tourists pay for most of our government.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #30
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueljunkie View Post
Yeah Prescott AZ.
I donít live in Prescott but have been there many times over the years and love it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.