Mounting fog lights to bumper?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mounting fog lights to bumper??

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Mounting fog lights to bumper??

Pretty much straight forward. I have a pair of Hella fogs installed on my stock bumper, they are mounted directly to the plastic portion then into the bumper mounts. I have a new bumper coming and want to mount them to it aswell, can I just drill out the holes in the new bumper or is it better to get some sort of brackets to mount the fogs to the bumper instead of cutting holes into a brand new bumper?

Thanks

ironbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
T00THD0C
2013 JK Wrangler 

Depending on the design of the new bumper, you can make a custom bracket to mount the lights to an existing hole but it would be easier to drill holes in the new bumper.
T00THD0C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Looks like I'm going to end up drilling out holes to mount them
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah if you must then drilling holes to add an accessories is really no big deal. Just take your time in finding the ideal spot for them. Also remember to prep the drilled holes with something to stop rust from forming.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Yeah if you must then drilling holes to add an accessories is really no big deal. Just take your time in finding the ideal spot for them. Also remember to prep the drilled holes with something to stop rust from forming.
What would be the best way to prep them. I was thinking just drilling the holes out then hitting them with a good primer and then paint. I almost don't want the lights mounted on the bumper, wish there was another place to mount them.
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
T00THD0C
2013 JK Wrangler 

You could the get the windshield mounts and put them there. http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-1...d+light+mounts
T00THD0C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You could mountem on 1-1/2x3/16x 12"- mild steel bar, just bend/drill/paint/mount

There are two lower mount holes on the rt/lft frames-

They won't work with stock bumper-

Checkitout

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbike View Post
What would be the best way to prep them. I was thinking just drilling the holes out then hitting them with a good primer and then paint...
Yeah thatís what I would do too; just make sure to use something like lacquer thinner to make sure the holes are oil free before paint.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
Zombicon

2013 JK Wrangler 

Not shilling Quadratec, but they have a pair of light brackets you can use. I believe they attach to the frame behind and below the grille.

Just a thought.

Peace!
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Drilling a new bumper is always a dilemma...if the new bumper is powder coated, it's gonna chip and rust eventually. Decide the best placement for the lights(for your driving), prep as well as possible, a rubber washer between the light mount and bumper could help too....then just keep the bumper "touched up" with a rattle can.
As mentioned above, there are light mounts for just about everything, I have a set of the mounts that Q-tec sells, they mount on the bar in front of the radiator, behind the grill. They rusted too....
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Drilling a new bumper is always a dilemma...if the new bumper is powder coated, it's gonna chip and rust eventually. Decide the best placement for the lights(for your driving), prep as well as possible, a rubber washer between the light mount and bumper could help too....then just keep the bumper "touched up" with a rattle can.
As mentioned above, there are light mounts for just about everything, I have a set of the mounts that Q-tec sells, they mount on the bar in front of the radiator, behind the grill. They rusted too....
The new bumper is Powder coated so I have decided to order a front bumper light bar from Olympic 4x4 that already has tabs for mounting lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.