Motoguy's Build Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Motoguy's Build Up

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 03-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

Motoguy's Build Up

Im gonna start this thread by listing the parts i plan on buying.Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first jeep build up but hopefully I can do it right once.

Donor Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Max stock flex in pic!

Parts:
Rock krawler 2.5 Max Travel Lift
2 Inch bump stops
Synergy Track bar brace
Synergy Ball joints
Bilstein 5100's
Get 4.88 Gearing installed
Axel Sleeve + Gussets
AEV Procal
AEV Pintlers
35in Goodyear MTR-Kevlar
Ace Fender Flares
Ace Rock Sliders
Stubby Front Bumper(undecided)
Rear bumper + Tire carrier(Undecided)

Let me know if I am missing anything from the lift or steering. And any suggestions on rear bumper tire carriers or wheels im not fully set on the pintlers.
I will use this thread to document my progress.

2012-08-11_20-27-23_752.jpg  
motoguy1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

What? no winch yet?
If you are on a budget take a look at Body Armor bumpers, reasonable quality at a reasonable price.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like good plan. On the front bumper have you decided on width, full, mid, stubby? Modular or one piece? Stinger or grill bar? I like the look of Poison Spyder Brawler lite bumpers. I like the design of the ACE rear bumper tire carrier but it's heavy.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1251 View Post
Im gonna start this thread by listing the parts i plan on buying.Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first jeep build up but hopefully I can do it right once.

Donor Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Max stock flex in pic!

Parts:
Rock krawler 2.5 Max Travel Lift
2 Inch bump stops
Synergy Track bar brace
Synergy Ball joints
Bilstein 5100's
Get 4.88 Gearing installed
Axel Sleeve + Gussets
AEV Procal
AEV Pintlers
35in Goodyear MTR-Kevlar
Ace Fender Flares
Ace Rock Sliders
Stubby Front Bumper(undecided)
Rear bumper + Tire carrier(Undecided)

Let me know if I am missing anything from the lift or steering. And any suggestions on rear bumper tire carriers or wheels im not fully set on the pintlers.
I will use this thread to document my progress.
I favor your entire list because it reflects a decent amount of my setup. Decided to go with the Superchips over the Procal and I had the ACE fenders on my list until I took a closer look at their rear fenders, it looks as if they have a dent or a bend at the top of them and don't follow the body lines to well. I love my ACE rock sliders though! I also like the Bilstein 5100s and I think they ride nice. Also I wanted a rear bumper + carrier but just decided to go with the Teraflex hinge and I'm incredibly happy and it saved me a lot of weight. Also you want to either look into a evap canister skid or relocating it because it's a weak point on the JK bellies. Might also want to start thinking about driveshafts. I think my front shaft lasted about 6 months with the Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel lift and I'm still waiting on that rear shaft to go. Oh also you might need an exhaust spacer but I'm uncertain with that lift and year of your Jeep.

Welcome to the forum

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

As for the bumper I wanted a stubby with no grille guard or bull bar. I really wanted one the kept the fog lamps and mounted a winch lower down. Im in no rush to get a winch but it will happen some day.I was looking at the smittybilt xrc mod bumper, just the center section. I have seen smittybilt have a lesser reputation here. The ace rear bumper was my first choice but then I saw the Terra Flex hd hinges and it seemed like a good alternative.

Thanks for note on the evap and drive shafts. I didnt even think of the evap canister. As for drive shafts I will probably wait till they eat themselves as bad as it sounds but no money for them just yet. Any suggestions on who to look at, I saw krawl off road just had some new ones.

I have been seeing that if you stay at or under a 2.5 lift the exhaust is ok. But its probably just better to do it for a precaution. I made the list trying to get it right on one shot after quite a bit of researching on here.

Also Would I need the rear spring wedge blocks that correct the angle for this lift or is that only a larger lift thing?
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
As for the bumper I wanted a stubby with no grille guard or bull bar. I really wanted one the kept the fog lamps and mounted a winch lower down. Im in no rush to get a winch but it will happen some day.I was looking at the smittybilt xrc mod bumper, just the center section. I have seen smittybilt have a lesser reputation here. The ace rear bumper was my first choice but then I saw the Terra Flex hd hinges and it seemed like a good alternative.

Thanks for note on the evap and drive shafts. I didnt even think of the evap canister. As for drive shafts I will probably wait till they eat themselves as bad as it sounds but no money for them just yet. Any suggestions on who to look at, I saw krawl off road just had some new ones.

I have been seeing that if you stay at or under a 2.5 lift the exhaust is ok. But its probably just better to do it for a precaution. I made the list trying to get it right on one shot after quite a bit of researching on here.
I went with Coast but there are a lot of reputable manufacturers out there. Krawl Off-Road just came out with new ones, Tom Woods, Adam's, JE Reel, and I'm sure I'm missing some others. Just stick with one of the reputable manufacturers and you should be fine. As for SmittyBilt, I'm not a fan and most likely won't own anything more than their hitch and some deflators. Just seen to many problems with fitment and the made in China doesn't sit well with me.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would get the rough country stubby bumper for the front. Made in the USA and looks great. As for smittybilt I run their winch and love it. I've had one that was in a head on as well and worked even after that. But the RC bumper is cheap and keeps the oem fogs as well as providing a winch mounting plate.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
ChugiakAK
2012 JK Wrangler 

Take a look at Schrockworks stubby. Has it all you mentioned. My front and rear recovery stubbies went on easy and look great. I bought my winch & light (with kit to use OEM switch)
ChugiakAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
ChugiakAK
2012 JK Wrangler 

Got cut off, but I was going to say I got everything from Schrockworks and all is great!
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
ChugiakAK
2012 JK Wrangler 

Made in Texas by the way
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

I like the RC stubby hybrid. The price is a def plus. I will start to order parts tonight after work.
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I like the RC stubby hybrid. The price is a def plus. I will start to order parts tonight after work.

Picture to convince you.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

Great looking bumper, Did you buy RC's d ring hookups or another companies.
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

Went and talked to a gear shop in my area. They want 1800 to install the gears. Seems a bit high better see what else is in town.
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Does that include the gears?

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.