most popular lift kit ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > most popular lift kit ?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #31
redrock53
2008 JK Wrangler 

Super Lift

I like the Super Lift 4" so far.............

I installed the 4" Super Lift by myself over two weekends, working about 8 hours each Sunday. I did the rear one weekend and the front the next weekend, my 60's motor head mentality not allowing me to lift the front and leave it that way while waiting to do the rear. SL has you do the front first and replace the swaybar links with those from the rear. If you reverse the order remember that SL instructions are not going to remind you to remove the front swaybar links again. This over sight will become obvious when you attempt to drop the front axle. Additionally do not forget to disconnect the ESP sensor wires and the brake lines if you want to do this job without spring compressors. At first I thought no way am I getting that stock spring out. The trick is two floor jacks, one to support the axle and the other to raise (compress) the opposite side. This allowed me to remove the stock springs and install the new springs with no problem. I advise going with a new longer brake line kit, much cleaner and you won’t have to unbend what you bent to make the supplied adapters work. I also advise adjustable arms with any kit. Cams work, but are a compromise. SL only had the lowers at the time of my purchase. Adjustable lowers will allow caster and pinion adjustment in the front and pinion adjustment in the rear. You will typically lengthen the front to gain more caster, but not so much as to drop pinion angle, the front is a compromise between the two. The rear will typically be shortened to point the pinion at the t-case. I did have to chase the threads on the adjustable arms from SL to make them adjust smoothly and to actually get them to the directed lengths. They worked fine after that, but I thought they could have been welded and assembled with better quality control. Adjustable uppers will allow for the same adjustments – just adjust the opposite direction. Adjustable lowers with adjustable uppers may keep the axle more centered, not sure if that is critical. Any ideas on this subject? Steering was off as expected and was easily corrected by checking the wheels straight and adjusting the clamp. You can do this yourself. I did notice during the front install that the driveline contacted the trans pan and skid plate, this has been discussed on this and other forums. I also noticed the steep angle at the t-case, this bothered me more then the rubbing of the boot and d-line. A Rzeppa failure just waiting to happen. It may last a while, but it will eventually fail at that angle. I like to pick when to battle repairs. I will replace the front d-line this weekend at my home and not on the trail. Stock wheels, tires and gears for now, but plan on 35 with 5.13's. Lower is better with the high reving V6, the OD will actually function as an OD and it should pull like a mule without using a lot more gas.

I like the Super Lift 4", but it is my first lift on my first Jeep, not my first 4X4. The ride is firm, but not harsh. The articulation seems great.

redrock53

Last edited by redrock53; 04-10-2008 at 02:44 PM..
redrock53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #32
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
dont hear much about SYE/CV's on the new JK's. Whats up? I havent been reading much on them but I want to learn cuz I think im buying one.
JK's don't have slip yokes. no need for an SYE.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #33
Nuggetbrent
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver View Post
I went with the Pro Comp 4" with the HD control arms. Good kit. However, depending on the rims you have, you will need to replace them with this kit, because the rear control arms are bigger than the stock ones and aren't bent.

The Rubi rims have 6" of backspacing and the Pro Comp kit won't handle anything with more than 5" of backspacing. No issues if you also upgrade rims (I went with 4.5"), but just something to be aware of if you choose that kind of kit.

FWIW, I've never been a fan of the Fabtech kits, because I think they skimp on the quality of their parts, but they are popular, so take that for what it's worth. On other Jeeps, I've always ended up with Rubicon Express kits and I love them - only reason I tried the Pro Comp was because I got a good deal, and so far very happy with them.

One thing to add is that the shocks will make a world of difference even on the same kit.
I have the same lift as VD and after installing it I found many of the same things as he did. Having went with the "upgraded" shocks makes a huge difference in the ride from what I have seen (I installed another procomp lift with the cheaper shocks). The only thing I dont like is the HDX arms have zirk fittings on them and they put them in a place that is difficult to get to.

I'm not sure about the other lifts, but the Procomp comes with spacers for the trans skidplate to give the front driveshaft more room, I am assuming to help protect the boot on the DS.

B...

Mods: Procomp 4" w/MX6 shocks and HDX arms + 1 3/4" leveling spacers, 7089 wheels, 35x12.50x17 radial SSR tires, Shrockworks stubby front bumper with Mile Marker PE 8000 winch, Unichip, K&N FIPK and custom bent and welded stainless exhaust with magnaflow muffler, Seatglovers, Rugged Ridge Grab Handles and Flashlight holder, Superior 5.13 gears, Yaesu FT8900 radio, Diamond CR8900 Quad band antenna, Delta Tech 150 fog lights.....still thinking.....
Nuggetbrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #34
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockrockin View Post
you have a great looking truck ,thanks for the information. i was looking at the 4 inch skyjacker. but i will also check out the one you recomended. i was just looking for a nice mid level lift. anyone use rustys lift the local jeep dealer here installs them ,also how much does installation usually cost ? thanks alote !
Here's the 4" Skyjacker you were thinking about:

The only lifts my dealer does is Skyjacker and I liked the idea of having it under the 36k warrently so I thought why the hell not.

If I did it all over I'd probably go with a Rusty's or another that offered HD coils. Having said that I do like the lift I have, it isn't bad and it is a fairly nice on-road ride and holds its own off road. I'd done some pretty heavy hits off road to this suspension and nothing has broke so far.

**EDIT** How do you do these click free?
DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #35
That1guy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
Here's the 4" Skyjacker you were thinking about:

The only lifts my dealer does is Skyjacker and I liked the idea of having it under the 36k warrently so I thought why the hell not.

If I did it all over I'd probably go with a Rusty's or another that offered HD coils. Having said that I do like the lift I have, it isn't bad and it is a fairly nice on-road ride and holds its own off road. I'd done some pretty heavy hits off road to this suspension and nothing has broke so far.

**EDIT** How do you do these click free?
You need 50 tech post and be a member for 30 days.
Unread 10-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #36
dwdrums40385
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
you didn't indicate if you bought an auto or manual?

I've been researching a bit, and have discovered that the Unlimiteds with auto transmission have a problem with tearing up the front driveshaft boot with any lift over 2". The problem is that the new angle of the driveshaft causes the boot to rub against the transmission skid plate, especially when flexing off-road.

Again- only occurs with auto transmission Unlimiteds

And from what I've been reading- Jeep does not sell a new boot, you have to replace the entire driveshaft. But that is really irrelevant because if you just replace the boot, it is going to tear again. The only real solution is a smaller diameter aftermarket driveshaft.
or you could just take a saw-zaw or a grinder to a small portion of your skid plate
dwdrums40385 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #37
TheShift
2010 JK Wrangler 

I went with the 3''Full Traction lift.. skyjacker shocks and steering stabilizer... in all honesty i love it...it rides great..the only thing i wasn't too happy about is the disconnects that came with the kit..there is no grease fitting and every bump you hear the metal on metal rub...kinda sux...but looking into swapping them out with the jks quicker disconnects as soon as the extra cash is available .. other than that...the 3'' full traction is an awesome...great ride...glad i went with it

I need new pics... looks a little different than this... and its on a slope in the ground...but it sits pretty level...
/charges camera for this weekend

also... my dealer installed this kit with 100 miles on the JK... to the guy that was told that jeep wouldn't honor anything over 2.5 is F O S!

and.... NIGHT OF THE LIVING THREAD! 8)
TheShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #38
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

OP, I think you should do more research before you pull the trigger. Start learning about pinion angle and the cost associated with getting that angle within tolerances with taller lifts.

Also, take a look at some jeeps with 2.5 inch lifts and big tires. I think you'll find that you don't need as much lift as you think and that the expense in going that large AND doing it correctly is prohibitive and unnecessary to accomplish what you want.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #39
ncb

What's with the thread digging lately? Second two year dig today.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #40
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
What's with the thread digging lately? Second two year dig today.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #41
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
you didn't indicate if you bought an auto or manual?

I've been researching a bit, and have discovered that the Unlimiteds with auto transmission have a problem with tearing up the front driveshaft boot with any lift over 2". The problem is that the new angle of the driveshaft causes the boot to rub against the transmission skid plate, especially when flexing off-road.

Again- only occurs with auto transmission Unlimiteds

And from what I've been reading- Jeep does not sell a new boot, you have to replace the entire driveshaft. But that is really irrelevant because if you just replace the boot, it is going to tear again. The only real solution is a smaller diameter aftermarket driveshaft.
Would this be a problem with the teraflex leveling kit? it is 2" in the front 1155200 | TeraFlex Suspensions
BlueLesPaul2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #42
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

All jeeps are alittle different-specs/models/options/uses-etc

As most of you know I decided on 33" and NO BIGGER--so

For my '08 JKU Rubi, I got a set of RC 2.5/2" STEEL spacers and a set of RS9000XL (adj) shocks

I didn't opt for the new coils, because I'VE GOT RUBI COILS-

The tires wouldn't fit without new bumpers and wheel adapters, so I added the lift anyway ($99 bucks)--

I go off-road every two weeks in Nevada and the jeeps "AT HOME" in sand/hills/rocks--

In Summary-RC steel spacers--I don't know about their shocks !!

I have the automatic--

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , lift advice , lift choices , lift oppinions , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.