most popular lift kit ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > most popular lift kit ?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
blockrockin

most popular lift kit ?

hi i just bought a 08 4 door wrangler unlimtied x and i would like to put a lift on it . i was wondering what the most popular lift kit being used is? I would like a 3 to 4 inch lift . thanks for all the help !

blockrockin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

full traction seems to be popular where I live. I put one on my jeep and love it, a little stiffer then stock but I like it this way much better. My 3" lift with HD springs got me actually 4" rear and 5" front, prolly will drop a little once I put bumpers and winch on though.
Other populer lifts are the black dimond and skyjack both make a sweet 3 or 4" lift. Depends on what you want and how much you wanna spend, mine was the ultimate lift thats $2k but nice ones are as low as $650.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.

Last edited by Warlord2; 01-20-2008 at 12:23 PM..
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
blockrockin

you have a great looking truck ,thanks for the information. i was looking at the 4 inch skyjacker. but i will also check out the one you recomended. i was just looking for a nice mid level lift. anyone use rustys lift the local jeep dealer here installs them ,also how much does installation usually cost ? thanks alote !
Unread 01-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

you didn't indicate if you bought an auto or manual?

I've been researching a bit, and have discovered that the Unlimiteds with auto transmission have a problem with tearing up the front driveshaft boot with any lift over 2". The problem is that the new angle of the driveshaft causes the boot to rub against the transmission skid plate, especially when flexing off-road.

Again- only occurs with auto transmission Unlimiteds

And from what I've been reading- Jeep does not sell a new boot, you have to replace the entire driveshaft. But that is really irrelevant because if you just replace the boot, it is going to tear again. The only real solution is a smaller diameter aftermarket driveshaft.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
blockrockin

hey thanks for the information about the boot . it is a automatic , i really would like a 3 1/4 or 4 inch lift, what do you think the best option would be . is their anything else to do beside stay with a 2 inch lift ? thanks
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
billy mo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Out of curiosity, why do you want a 4" lift? What are you trying to fit under there? From the CJ to YJ to TJ, 4" was common. With the JK, you don't have to lift it that much to slap on some 33s or even 35s.
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
blockrockin

well i was going to just put on 35 " tires so maybe your right maybe 3 or 3 1/4 would be fine. i just figured if i was goin to lift it , i would go ahead and get a 4 inch but maybe thats to much? i like the look of the bigger lifts . but maybe that would nt be smart ? just figured i would see what everyone thinks? anyone use BDS lifts they seem to have a nice 3 " lift ?
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

im about to get a rubicon express lift i have herd alot of good things about them, my other advice is to go with the bigger 4in because i wished i had lifted mine the right way first
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
blockrockin

the rubicon express lift is not for the 4 door right ? is their a rubicon lift made for the 4 door ?
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have Black Diamond 3" with 35's and an automatic. No issues here with my cv boot.

N2Rock, the problem is with lifts 3" and greater and is worse on the 2 door than it is on the 4 door. The reason is because of the angle of the driveshaft. The stock driveshaft uses a cv joint on one end, which cannot handle as much of an extreme angle as an ordinary universal joint. The solution is to replace the driveshaft with one that uses regular universal joints. Several companies make these. I just checked mine the other day when I had it jacked up and it is fine after 7,000 miles of being lifted with 35's and seeing mud and severe pot holes daily.
Unread 01-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

there is a 3.5 and 4.5 for the four door
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

R.E. makes great kits for the 2 dr and the 4 dr. in 2", 3.5" and 4.5". They have super flex and long travel kits.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep.a...=4142FE4725216

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #13
jkpirate
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a Black Diamond 3" lift, auto trans. I was very happy with the kit. I did distroy my front driveshaft boot on my last off road trip. I was told that this will happen sooner or later, so it was no surprise.
08 jeep green rubicon unlimited, Dual tops, 3" Black Diamond lift, Poly Performance rear adjustable track bar 3/4 front leveling spacers, Reel drive lines, 35/12.50/17 BFG KM2's, Shrock works mid-length front bumper, warn 9.5ti winch, windshield mounted kc lights, trail guide navigation, uniden 510 cb.
jkpirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Most popular? No, it's not-- in fact though Fabtech is super popular around where I live, it doesn't seem to be terribly popular on this board.

But just for another option, here is my 3" Fabtech lift (with 35s)

ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
blockrockin

thats a great looking truck ! one of my favs that ive seen here, yeah i always have liked fabtech lifts, i had one on my last truck. and i really liked it but i have noticed not as many people where using them here. i like the rockstars also i had them to .. nice combo ! are you happy with the fabtech lift ? did it turnout to be exactly 3 inchs of lift ?

Tags
JK Wrangler , lift advice , lift choices , lift oppinions , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.