More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter) - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #151
MrZ71
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
Time to make some decisions...

Krawl Off-Road is having a Shock Sale in which I could get 50% off shocks with the purchase of a lift kit. I've got $978.52 in the bank set aside for my Jeep. Here are my spending options:

1) $899 - Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex system with springs, front control arms, extended front brake lines, and Teraflex shock extenders, or...

2) $709 - Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod with springs and Bilstein shocks, plus $100 for AEV Control Arm Brackets.

At that point, it's basically a $90 difference (assuming free shipping) and I end up running Control Arm Brackets and stock brake lines instead of RK control arms.

Thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Input? Help?
getting new control arms are worth the extra money spent. so I would go with option one with shocks not extenders

l____l 09 JKU Sahara Rock Krawler 2.5
(OlllllllO) Ripp supercharger 35x12.5's 5.13's
[]--O--[] magnaflow D.I.Y. exhaust -James-
MrZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #152
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ71

getting new control arms are worth the extra money spent. so I would go with option one with shocks not extenders
That's been my conclusion as well. However, I wasn't able to save enough money to justify spending $200 that I haven't set aside yet, so I'm probably just going to wait a couple months until I can go with the 2.5" Flex with shocks.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #153
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Just finished detailing my interior...

image-2003523082.jpg

Keep Calm and Chive On!
Unread 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #154
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

KrawlOff-Road.com is having a 5% off sale for Independence Day, so I just placed an order for the Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex System and Teraflex exhaust spacer for a grand total of $899.17. The 5% off means I basically paid 17 cents for the exhaust spacers. Once my Jeep fund gets back up to $360 I'll buy some Bilstein 5100s (also contemplating the OME Nitrocharger shocks) and a big slab of prime rib for ncb. I figure I can sell my JKUR springs, JKR shocks, and stock control arms for about $100-120 if I'm patient.

Keep Calm and Chive On!
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #155
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any idea when you'll get the kit? I'm interested in getting the teraflex kit and would love to see your install/hear your thoughts.

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #156
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magatetzz
Any idea when you'll get the kit? I'm interested in getting the teraflex kit and would love to see your install/hear your thoughts.
I'm sure what I've ordered will arrive soon, but I probably won't have the shocks until late August. I decided the Rock Krawler was a no-brainer over the Teraflex for my needs due to its expandability over time. The Teraflex kit just didn't seem as right for my needs.

Keep Calm and Chive On!
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #157
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry we couldn't meet up while I was out there. I ended up moving back to the boring flat lands to be with my woman. I'm planning on going out again soon though, possibly September/October and would love to meet up for a beer or burger. You took some awesome routes definitely.

I just finished Cinnamon pass this summer and Pearl Pass. Hope the install goes well, I just purchased some 18/59 springs myself!

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #158
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter
KrawlOff-Road.com is having a 5% off sale for Independence Day, so I just placed an order for the Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex System and Teraflex exhaust spacer for a grand total of $899.17. The 5% off means I basically paid 17 cents for the exhaust spacers. Once my Jeep fund gets back up to $360 I'll buy some Bilstein 5100s (also contemplating the OME Nitrocharger shocks) and a big slab of prime rib for ncb. I figure I can sell my JKUR springs, JKR shocks, and stock control arms for about $100-120 if I'm patient.
Nice purchase. Let me know when you want to install the new swag. I was recently in London and will soon travel again in the quest for the next company jet. I'm good with beer and pizza.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #159
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ71 View Post

I agree

BDS shocks are a whopping $39 each - we install them regularly (damn near daily) and have great feedback.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #160
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

My Warn PowerPlant has been making some scary noises when I run the compressor lately, so I took it to the original retailer (4 Wheel Parts in Westminster) today for them to have a look. I'm getting a brand new replacement unit next week.

Keep Calm and Chive On!
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #161
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Can anyone tell me what the highlighted hose in the following photo is for? And also... how bad it is if I drove a very dusty trail with it apparently detached from the air box? I cleaned my air filter before the last wheeling trip, and I appear to have neglected to reattach that thing.

image-3921768812.jpg

Keep Calm and Chive On!
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #162
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Being that it is the only line coming off of the airbox past the air filter it must be to the positive crankcase ventilation valve, or PCV valve. I would think about changing your oil if you are concerned, but due to the fact that it is closed usually nothing can travel in from that line it's coming out because of pressure from the crankcase going back into your intake system so I wouldn't worry too much. Pull your intake hoses and see if your throttle body is dirty as dust could have entered into the intake system that way.

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #163
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

On Christmas Day, I installed my new ACE bumper and tire carrier. The installation had a few problems so I will have to drop it and redo it, but it's good enough for the short term!

image-1460062045.jpg

Keep Calm and Chive On!
Unread 04-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #164
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

When I originally decided to install LED light strips around my roll bar, I had to place them in a very conspicuous place on the inside of the bar because the removable door frame would otherwise crush them (as seen below).

image-1211878412.jpg
image-160905230.jpg

The problem is that the light strip really isn't very attractive, and it prevents me from being able to keep them on dimly at night for soft interior lighting. I decided I wanted to remedy this, so I purchased a waterproof RGB LED strip with a black PCB (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D8WNHXE) along with an RF remote control (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009C2Z3D6) that would quickly let me switch between red, blue, green, and any combination thereof.

In order to mount my new LED strip out of sight, I broke out the Dremel and cut away at my plastic door frames:

image-677488512.jpg
image-1227762400.jpg

Now when I'm driving at night, I just turn on my RGB lights to red and I get a nice soft glow that doesn't interfere with my night vision but still allows me to see inside my Jeep instead of feeling like I'm sitting in a black hole.

image-1737050803.jpg

Keep Calm and Chive On!
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #165
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Installed Delrin door hinge bushings over the weekend. It was a pain to get the old ones out, but the difference is much greater than I'd expected. $30 well spent!

Keep Calm and Chive On!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.