Mopar Speed Control Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mopar Speed Control Install

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mopar Speed Control Install

Mopar Speed Control Install

So this showed up at work today:

I like Mopar boxes

This has to be one of the easiest and cheapest additions for the JK. It definitely makes highway driving a little more comfortable.

Price: ~$225
Install Time: 30-40 minutes
Difficulty: 2/5

Warning! The installation involves the removal and re-installation of the airbag which can potentially be dangerous if proper precautions aren't taken.

Tools Needed:
Long nose pliers
Phillips screwdriver
Stubby flat head screwdriver (or two)
Torque wrench
Ratchet
10mm and 13mm sockets
T-20 Torx socket
Ratchet extension (3" and/or 6", Mopar doesn't mention this )

The Install:

1) Remove the disconnect the negative battery terminal of the battery. Make sure there is no way for the wire to touch the terminal while you're working.

2) Wait a few minutes to make sure the air bag system is completely disabled. (Not sure if this is needed, but it definitely will not hurt!)

3) Un-clip the airbag unit from the steering wheel. (This will most likely be the most difficult and time consuming part of the install.)

Lower the adjustable height of the steering wheel all the way. The are three clips that need to be undone. One on the bottom of the steering column, one at the 2 o'clock position, and one at the 10 o'clock position. You'll ne to insert the stubby flat head screw driver into the holes and then push outwards away from the steering column. The first one will be a little difficult to undo. The next two will be progressively much easier.

When you reach the last clip, hold the air bag in place so that the assembly doesn't pop off and damage the wires.

It is also possible to access the clips by cutting the steering wheel collar off since you will no longer need it. I advise against this in case something goes wrong and you still need it.

4) Un-clip the two wiring harnesses going to the air bag.

Once the air bag is free place it away from your workspace facing upright. I recommend doing this in case the air bag deploys so that it doesn't become a dangerous projectile.

Un-clip the wiring harness for the horn. It's the white connector.

5) Using the 13mm socket and an extension remove the bolt in the center of the steering wheel. Store this for later re-installation.

6) Remove the steering wheel by pulling towards you. Be careful, don't smack yourself in the face with it.

7) Unscrew the four black Torx screws from the back of the steering wheel using the T-20 socket. Save the screw for later. The collar can be discarded.

8) Using the long nose pliers un-clip the four connectors for the horn. Remove the harness. This can be discarded.

. .
wTheOnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

9) Install the wiring harness that came with the Mopar kit.

10) Install the one of the collars that came with the Mopar kits using the four Torx screws from earlier.

11) Install the Cruise Control arm into the slot on the right side of the wheel. It is fairly obvious in it's orientation. Make sure it goes under the white wiring harness. Screw the two silver self tapping screws in snugly but not too tight as to break the plastic of the arm.

12) Flip the steering wheel over and install the black self tapping screw into the arm assembly. Also make sure it is in snug but not too tight. This screw can take a little force to get in properly.

13) Plug the small connector into the Cruise Control arm.

14) Reinstall the steering wheel. Pull the air bag connectors through and line up the spline on the steering wheel with the corresponding dot on the dash.

15) Take the bolt set aside from earlier and using a torque wrench, torque the bolt to 32 ft-lbs.

16) Connect the white connector in the same place you disconnected it from. Reconnect the air bag wiring harnesses to the corresponding colored connections on the air bag. Push the air bag back onto the steering column, it will take a little bit of force. Make sure it is in the correct orientation.

17) Reconnect the wire to the negative battery terminal.

18) Sit back and admire your work. Take the Jeep out for a spin and try it out!

That's all there is to it. (Sorry about the glare in a few of the pictures.)

. .
Unread 07-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

hey, that looks pretty nifty. That option has been really the only thing that Ive been missing on my jeep. I wanted to know if the speed control works even when you are at 3500+ rpms? Ive had some vehicles that stop working at a certain rpm and I have a high crusing rpm after the regear.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Seems like a lot easier to buy a JK with cruise control already installed. Doing something like this, risking air bag deployment, etc. is probably not for the average DIY. Nice write up though.
Unread 07-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Seems like a lot easier to buy a JK with cruise control already installed. Doing something like this, risking air bag deployment, etc. is probably not for the average DIY. Nice write up though.
Thanks. It actually wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be. I did stay away from the front of the air bag the entire time though. It ended up being a lot easier and took a lot less time then I had planned on.

I wasn't able to find a Jeep with the options I wanted within the price range and the right color. I'm not doing bad, I have AC, cruise, and the 17" wheels and I'm still spent less then the invoice of a base model. It's annoying the cruise isn't an option by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
hey, that looks pretty nifty. That option has been really the only thing that Ive been missing on my jeep. I wanted to know if the speed control works even when you are at 3500+ rpms? Ive had some vehicles that stop working at a certain rpm and I have a high crusing rpm after the regear.
I tried it at 1500 all the way to 3400 or so and it work beautifully. One of the smoothest cruise controls I've ever used. I don't see a problem with going higher then that, it definitely felt like I had a lot more in it. Granted I had to try it in a low gear since 3500 RPM in 6th is probably close to 90 or so for me.
. .
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Ibsen
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for this post. I will be doing this in a couple of weeks...
2010 Red Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, 4X4, 6 Speed | Mod #1: 17-Inch Moab Cast-Aluminum Wheels (255/75-17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A All-Terrain Tires)
Ibsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome write up!!! I myself bought the base model Jeep with plans to mod it as I desired. Cruise Control is deffinately something I miss. And is going to be installed once I regear.
ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTheOnew View Post
Thanks. It actually wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be. I did stay away from the front of the air bag the entire time though. It ended up being a lot easier and took a lot less time then I had planned on.

I wasn't able to find a Jeep with the options I wanted within the price range and the right color. I'm not doing bad, I have AC, cruise, and the 17" wheels and I'm still spent less then the invoice of a base model. It's annoying the cruise isn't an option by itself.

I tried it at 1500 all the way to 3400 or so and it work beautifully. One of the smoothest cruise controls I've ever used. I don't see a problem with going higher then that, it definitely felt like I had a lot more in it. Granted I had to try it in a low gear since 3500 RPM in 6th is probably close to 90 or so for me.

Thanks for trying that for me, I may have to get myself a cruise control now!
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
Thanks for trying that for me, I may have to get myself a cruise control now!
You STILL haven't got it yet after asking in 2008?
. .
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Ajaxxx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Great writeup. When removing the airbag clips, I had to really twist on the stubby screwdriver to get the wire tabs to release. Took about 20 minutes for me to get it. Of course I had cell phone buzzing, and a cold beer calling my name!

IowaAndy
Ajaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
ve7it
2010 JK Wrangler 

Cruise signal wiring

2010 sport base model....
Has anyone rung out the function of the 3 wires on the cruise control lever?
I would like to add the cruise function, but don't want the intrusion of another lever on the wheel. Is the lever a "smart device" on a bus or is it simply a mater of a couple of contact closures? I am interested in 2 functions.... what is required to enable cruise and what is required to set the speed?. I dont care about accel or decel modes... just to continue at the speed when I hit a button. The idea would be to add two buttons to the spare locations on the center console and tie them into the harness as needed. Tapping the brakes or clutch will cancel cruise operation.

I have looked at the DVD service manual for a 2007 JK and the 3 connections are labeled Signal1(violet), Signal2(pink) and Return(yellow) and feed through the Module Steering Control (clock springs) to the Module powertrain control on connector C1. There does not seem to be any diagnostics info for the speed control arm. Perhaps a newer or paper version of the service manual has more information.

cheers
Lawrence in Nanoose Bay BC
ve7it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
scottman
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post

For anyone that can turn a wrench it's an hour install tops.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
ve7it
2010 JK Wrangler 

cruise lever signal wiring

Resistance testing of a new 04671929AB cruise control lever.
Measurements by Lawrence Glaister VE7IT (ve7it@shaw.ca)
October 9 2010.
Code:

Pin to Pin Resistance
Lever position                1-2           1-3          2-3
============== ======= ======= =======
Normal                       20.5k       40.8k        20.5k
Cruise on/off               6.19k        6.66k        0.51k
Cancel                       3.28k        4.46k        1.21k
Resume                      1.71k      10.49k        8.82k
Set                            0.79k        5.12k        4.37k
Observations.
-in all cases, column 2 is approx the sum of column 1 and 3

-column 1 has an interesting sequence close to 6.4k, 3.2k, 1.6k, 0.8k

-ohm meter polarity doesnt seem to matter indicating the
device consists of switches and resistors (no solid state devices)

-how many resistors and how many switches and what is the configuration
to make this 3 terminal network function?

-I made a test connector using a cut down computer 3.5" floppy drive power
connector (cut the 4 pin plug down to 3 pins using exacto, file, or grinder)
This could be used instead of the factory $70 harness, but I dont want to have
insurance or guarantee issues, so I suggest using the factory harness to install
the cruise option.

Possible control configuration....
Pin 2 may be grounded and pin 1 and 3 may be pulled up to 5v by the ecu by say 10k.
All control inputs use dual redundancy... in other words for a state change to be
recognized, 2 switches must close and create the right voltages on pins 1 and 3.
This follows similar logic to the throttle pedal position sensor using multiple
channels of sensor to verify valid position sensing and to reject noisy or invalid
commands. At this point, I don't really want to break the switch open to look at
the internal logic or to try and measure the pin voltages with the engine on
doing 30+mph with the air bag hanging loose in my lap. The above table should
still be useful for troubleshooting cruise control switch problems.
The control could be implemented with a fixed 20.5k resistor from pin 1 to 2
and a 20.5k resistor from pins 2 to 3.. this would satisfy the normal state
condition and enable the ecu to recognize that the cruise option lever was
installed. Each of the other states could be created by switching a set of
resistors of the appropriate values across the 2 resistors mentioned above. This
would require 2 switch contacts for each state or a total of 8 contacts and a
total of 10 resistors. It may also be possible to reduce the network to fewer
resistors by using series resistors and a creative switching scheme. Without
opening the cruise switch, my guesses are purely conjecture. Anyone willing to
dissect a cruise control lever?
ve7it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #14
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the research
I added a link to this thread in the F.A.Q for future reference.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the Cool Write up! Now I can go down to my local salvage yard and pick up a slightly used switch for $30 out of a JK, Caliber or Minivan.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control , installation , installation kit , JK Wrangler , troubleshoot , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.