MOPAR non-winch front bumper to winch bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > MOPAR non-winch front bumper to winch bumper

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Avian
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,810
MOPAR non-winch front bumper to winch bumper

Is it possible to "convert" a non-winch mopar front bumper into a winch front bumper?






Looking at online pictures, it appears provisions for a fairlead need to be cut into the front of the bumper, and clearance cuts must be made on top of the bumper to accept the winch, but I am unsure of how the winch mounts to the bumper itself. Is there an additional reinforced winch plate in the bottom of the winch bumper, or does the bumper itself have enough strength to handle a winch by itself?



The reason I ask, is because I was offered a mopar non-winch bumper for dirt cheap, but am planning on adding a winch in the coming year.

__________________
Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
McKBrew
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 2,743
I don't know how difficult it would be. Probably not impossible.

You could always go with an aftermarket winch plate that mounted above the bumper.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
kik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Is it possible to "convert" a non-winch mopar front bumper into a winch front bumper?






Looking at online pictures, it appears provisions for a fairlead need to be cut into the front of the bumper, and clearance cuts must be made on top of the bumper to accept the winch, but I am unsure of how the winch mounts to the bumper itself. Is there an additional reinforced winch plate in the bottom of the winch bumper, or does the bumper itself have enough strength to handle a winch by itself?


The reason I ask, is because I was offered a mopar non-winch bumper for dirt cheap, but am planning on adding a winch in the coming year.
I have a Mopar Off Road bumper with winch on my 10 Rubi and it is specially designed for the winch to fit into it. I would have to advise you to either get the Mopar winch bumper or go aftermarket. There is no way you are going to be able to retrofit that bumper to where it would be even safe to use. Don't do it! Good luck with your search.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Avian
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I don't know how difficult it would be. Probably not impossible.

You could always go with an aftermarket winch plate that mounted above the bumper.
Then I would have to remove the bar.


I was browsing the PDF file showing installation instructions, and the winch version appears to have holes drilled in the bottom of the pumper to accept a winch. I am wondering if there are further reinforcements not seen in the sketches.


__________________
Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Avian
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
I have a Mopar Off Road bumper with winch on my 10 Rubi and it is specially designed for the winch to fit into it. I would have to advise you to either get the Mopar winch bumper or go aftermarket. There is no way you are going to be able to retrofit that bumper to where it would be even safe to use. Don't do it! Good luck with your search.
The question Im seeking is... why? Different gauge steel? Added gussets? Added plate?


Id like to make this work, as its being offered to me for $100.
__________________
Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
jdrogers
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 704
It cannot be converted... look through the instructions and you will see the non-winch version does not have the winch attachment plate and support that mounts to the inner frame supports.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75750.pdf
__________________
2002 WJ Limited, Stone White, 4.7L H.O., Quadra Drive
OME Springs, MX6 Shocks, BFG 265/70R17 All-Terrain, Level 8 Tracker Wheels
Scottsdale, AZ
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Avian
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrogers View Post
It cannot be converted... look through the instructions and you will see the non-winch version does not have the winch attachment plate and support that mounts to the inner frame supports.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75750.pdf
I see what youre talking about now. Yeah, it looks like there is a lot more to the winch version than the non.
__________________
Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
alaskanthunder
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,027
$100 for the non-winch version.

Wow!
__________________
2007 JK 2-dr X | Steel Blue | 4.10 Auto D44
alaskanthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Avian
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanthunder View Post
$100 for the non-winch version.

Wow!
Thats what I said. It looks brand new too. I guess he really wants a winch.


I have never been a fan of the mopar bumper, but this...





...is a hell of a lot better than this.





Id really like to have a stubby, but you really cant pass up a $100 steel bumper.
__________________
Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
alaskanthunder
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,027
No, you really can't pass up a $100 steel bumper.

And especially when your front end looks like that. I say get it, then sell it when you are ready to dip into the winch mount w/ winch. Sell it for heck, a profit! Who knows?!
__________________
2007 JK 2-dr X | Steel Blue | 4.10 Auto D44
alaskanthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Avian
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanthunder View Post
No, you really can't pass up a $100 steel bumper.

And especially when your front end looks like that. I say get it, then sell it when you are ready to dip into the winch mount w/ winch. Sell it for heck, a profit! Who knows?!
Thats what Im thinking.
__________________
Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
McKBrew
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 2,743
If someone is selling you that bumper for $100 and you don't buy it......
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
tclaremont
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,262
I'll offer 200.
__________________
-------------------------------------
Tim C.
Rochester, NY
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #14
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,755
Iíd say save your money and buy just once. That bumper can in fact be converted to fit a winch. But unless you have the tools and know how, donít even attempt it. And if you did try, by the time you bought the proper steel plate, tubing and what not, you would be close to the cost of a new Mopar winch bumper anyhow. I know, thatís the kind of stuff that I do. You want to mount a winch, then get a bumper designed for one. Forget that other bumper.
__________________
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Avian
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Iíd say save your money and buy just once. That bumper can in fact be converted to fit a winch. But unless you have the tools and know how, donít even attempt it. And if you did try, by the time you bought the proper steel plate, tubing and what not, you would be close to the cost of a new Mopar winch bumper anyhow. I know, thatís the kind of stuff that I do. You want to mount a winch, then get a bumper designed for one. Forget that other bumper.


Thats what Im thinking. I think I am going to buy it anyway, since its so cheap, and use it until I pick up a winch at which point Ill pick up the stubby I want.

For $100 I dont feel like I can just let it go. It will most likely be flipped for a profit in either case, if it gets mounted or not.
__________________
Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.