MOPAR Kicker Audio Speaker Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > MOPAR Kicker Audio Speaker Upgrade

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
taylortejas
2012 JK Wrangler 

MOPAR Kicker Audio Speaker Upgrade

So I just got a set of two MOPAR Kicker 77KICK10 speakers for my 2 door JK. They are 6.5" speakers that fit right into the soundbar, and were very easy to install.

The only problem is I can't hear an improvement from the stock speakers, which looked very cheap in comparison.

Any reviews on this product or something I might need to do for them to sound better (amplifier, etc.) are appreciated

taylortejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

just remember that speakers are limited by the power output of the radio. no matter how much the speakers can handle the radio will limit them.

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Andyjr
2012 JK Wrangler 

You need to change the radio to get the most out of those speakers.
Andyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

You need a new head unit with more output or a component amplifier for those speakers. If these are the ones you installed, they handle 75W RMS with a peak of 150W RMS, and I can almost bet the output of the stock radio doesn't exceed 45-50W RMS. I think the total output for the 6 speakers are 66W, but I could be completely wrong on that. Check here - that is where I got the 66W. Most aftermarket head units supply an output of 50W RMS per speaker, but that does vary upon the make and model.

For example - my other car has a head unit with 50 RMS output to each speaker - 200 RMS. IMHO, I would replace the head unit with a different one bc it will make the wiring much easier than taping into the stock head unit. Also, it will allow you to hook up a sub, if you want, and it comes with more features. Just my $0.02.

Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
taylortejas
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks guys, i will look into getting a new stereo head unit.
Unread 12-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
taylortejas
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post
You need a new head unit with more output or a component amplifier for those speakers. If these are the ones you installed, they handle 75W RMS with a peak of 150W RMS, and I can almost bet the output of the stock radio doesn't exceed 45-50W RMS. I think the total output for the 6 speakers are 66W, but I could be completely wrong on that. Check here - that is where I got the 66W. Most aftermarket head units supply an output of 50W RMS per speaker, but that does vary upon the make and model.

For example - my other car has a head unit with 50 RMS output to each speaker - 200 RMS. IMHO, I would replace the head unit with a different one bc it will make the wiring much easier than taping into the stock head unit. Also, it will allow you to hook up a sub, if you want, and it comes with more features. Just my $0.02.

Walle,

Almost all of the after market head units I've looked at are 50-52 "peak output." Is this enough to power those 2 kicker speakers and possibly 2 other upgraded front speakers?

Thanks
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylortejas

Walle,

Almost all of the after market head units I've looked at are 50-52 "peak output." Is this enough to power those 2 kicker speakers and possibly 2 other upgraded front speakers?

Thanks
That should be fine as long as it is per speaker. You typically want your speakers or components to handle more power than you give them. This helps prevent overpowering your components and blowing them. And if the head unit doesn't give you all the power you're looking for, you can always add a small component amplifier for your speakers. Does that help?

Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
taylortejas
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post
That should be fine as long as it is per speaker. You typically want your speakers or components to handle more power than you give them. This helps prevent overpowering your components and blowing them. And if the head unit doesn't give you all the power you're looking for, you can always add a small component amplifier for your speakers. Does that help?

yes, that definitely helps! thanks man
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
WJ2000
2000 WJ 

Here's what he was looking for Mopar has an complete line up of up grades
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep_gr...ent-C2952.aspx

Sorry I just found this for myself , Thought some one mite be interested.
2000 WJ 4.0 NEW 4.6 stroker. W/ 4'' Tera Flex Long arm kit, KING 2.5s w/res front,2.5 Kings w/res Rear,Tom wood front drive, 33 x 15s KM2s, Bassett 15'x8 ,fully addjustible Tera flex Track bar, IRO 3link rear, EBC Dippled & sloted front disks, EBC green stuff pads, Iceland off road fender flairs''.
WJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.