Mopar 4.5 factory Lift kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mopar 4.5 factory Lift kit

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 05-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
G16
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mopar 4.5 factory Lift kit

Has anyone done the Mopar lift kit yet?

I went by my local Jeep Dealer yesterday and took a look at the Mopar 4.5 lift kit. I have never done a lift before but have been considering one since I bought my 07 4DR. Two things have delayed me.

One I would have no idea of what I would be doing. With something this critical to the function and safety of a vehicle I don't think it's enough to go into even the best of shops and simply say I trust you to do this because you have been doing this for 50 years and therefore know what you are doing.

Two as a result of the above statement I am trying to learn and understand what one might call the big picture of a lift. Meaning how different parts interrelate with each other in order to perform well with the chosen vehicle, in this case a Jeep.

And more than not in order to keep the integrity of the vehicle design and capitalize on the design of the chosen lift kit it's often not enough to change one or two parts. The question of adding 37-inch tires and needing a different gear ratio to compensate for the change in highway drivability for example.

The little bit I do know and the reasons I can ask the questions I do is largely due to you guys on this board and other boards sharing information based on the experiences many of you guys have been willing to share. Regardless if the outcome was as successful as you had hoped or not. Kudos to you all.

Any way I went by my Jeep dealer and took a peek at the new Mopar 4.5 lift kit. It looks impressive. Apparently this is based on or is in corroboration with a Rubicon Express design. It's a long arm kit with replacement drive lines, adjustable track bar, springs, shocks, sway bar end links, can take up to a 37-inch tire etc... It seems as well thought as any I've read about.

The part that interests me is the statement on the flyer saying this lift is designed to OEM standards, is designed to work with the stock ESP system and factory safety features. Wether this implies the system would be covered under the vehicle warranty or not I don't know, I've been told yes and no by different people. But if any possible issues that might arise as a result of the lift would be covered under warranty I think I would be very interested in this lift.

What do you all think about this Mopar lift?

Last edited by G16; 05-12-2008 at 09:15 AM..
G16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
end
2008 JK Wrangler 

i' be interested in this as well.
end is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I think it's a way for Chrysler to capitalize on the aftermarket venue of Jeep enthusiasts. I have no doubt that the kit is good, but I would also imagine that the price will be a hefty one. I would think that you could get the "same" kit from Rubicon Express for a much better price. I read a little on the kit, and the whole "shocks specifically valved for the Wrangler" is nothing more than hype. And since RE has been doing Jeep suspensions (as well as other vehicles) for years and years, no doubt the RE kit will hold up and last just as long, if not longer. As for the Jeep warranty part of it, who knows. I think that will simply depend on the individual dealership. I have seen guys on here go 'round and 'round with their dealer, and gotten no where. I have already had my carpet replaced twice, the "leaking top" issue fixed, and I am getting an entire new top in a few weeks (all have been or being covered under warranty). Every time I take it in for something, I get a loaner (brand new Cherokee or Sebring Limited) free of charge while they have my Jeep. So again, the warranty covering your Jeep would have a ton to do with the dealership you took it to. I know I have seen on several lots in my area, brand new Wranglers with lift kits on them that the dealer installed themselves before sale. Every one I have seen has been a 4" lift, which tells me that the 2.5" rule, or whatever it is, is BS. I am not sure how much the Mopar lift kit is, but I can only imagine that to buy it from Jeep, and have the dealer install it would be wasting money. You could get the same, or better lift, and have it installed for way less by a local 4x4 shop that actually specializes in that type of thing. And saving a few buck is good, since putting on 37" tires means you are also DEFINITELY going to have to regear your Jeep, as well as consider putting in a D44 front axle if you have a non Rubicon and do much off roading. Just my
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
end
2008 JK Wrangler 

wrnglrguy: you have one hell of a nice JK, its what I picture my jeep to look like in a couple years.
end is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

To start, I was told by my salesman that any lift over 2 inches would void the warranty. Then 3 months later Mopar is selling a 4.5 inch kit with the lifetime warranty. Go figure...

I highly doubt the R.E. kit is any different than the 4.5 kit sold by the dealer. Just repackaged and possibly powdercoated a different color... The shock thing is definetly hype. I got rid of my R.E. shocks and got Rancho 9000's and they made the most difference of any part I put on. I cannot rave enough on those shocks! The shocks had no effect on the ESP or ABS at all.

The only difference with the lift would be the warranty since you bought it from Mopar. As for the installation, it is a great undertaking. Especially if you are doing a long arm kit. I have installed many $$$ kits in my time and you need a lot of tools and time to do it right. Also, make sure the alignment is done at a shop that knows lift kits and available after market solutions to get the alignment specs right. Toe, caster, camber and front pinion angle adjustments are available for the front and toe and pinion angle for the rear.

If you are going to install the lift yourself, just make sure you have time and be patient.

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
wrnglrguy: you have one hell of a nice JK, its what I picture my jeep to look like in a couple years.
Thanks. It is still a work in progress, but I am enjoying it.

As to my previous post, I am not saying that Mopar has a scam, or a bad lift. I just don't want to see someone make a decission to buy it based on a warranty thing. The warranty is only as good as the dealership you go to...plain and simple.
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Didn't Bricktop go with this kit? Look for his threads about his build and check for sure. But I'm sure he could offer some insight to it.
scrogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
G16
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes it turns out Bricktop2 has the Mopar lift. Based on what he wrote he appears to like it. I find it interesting that all or most of his Mopar lift parts arrived in Rubicon Express boxes. Hmmmmmm?

He did mention a loss of power on the highway with 35-inch tires. Which might suggest a need to re-gear depending on ones tastes.
Unread 05-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
DiscoBayJoe
Beer is Food!

2008 JK Wrangler 

What were they asking for the Kit? Did they offer an installation cost?
Unread 05-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #10
G16
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
What were they asking for the Kit? Did they offer an installation cost?
I don't remember if he mentioned price. Type his user name in and you will find his thread on the build there.

Last edited by G16; 05-12-2008 at 05:36 AM..
Unread 05-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #11
DiscoBayJoe
Beer is Food!

2008 JK Wrangler 

Actually, I was wondering what price the dealer gave you when you saw the kit. Bricktop works at a dealer, so his numbers don't count When I asked my local dealer about a 4.5" Mopar lift in April they looked at me like I was crazy.
Unread 05-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #12
OhanaTrails

Stopped by my dealership Friday to pick up my cab cover and the service managers and some of sales and service guys were checking out my Jeep. They were telling me about the Mopar kit that they were installing so I asked if I could check it out....went to the bay and sure enough it was a Rubicon Express kit just like Brickstop said on his thread. They proceeded to tell me that the kit was around 6K I told them that I knew things were expensive in Hawaii but damn they were asking double what the lift is selling for retail????? The bad thing about it was they weren't even planning on changing the stock steering stabalizer Anyways, I just wanted to chime in on this thread cuz the Rubicon Express is definitely a sweet lift. Especially if you plan on doing some serious wheelin' if not you might be able to a little more for your money.....

Stock Jeepney
OhanaTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #13
G16
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
Actually, I was wondering what price the dealer gave you when you saw the kit. Bricktop works at a dealer, so his numbers don't count When I asked my local dealer about a 4.5" Mopar lift in April they looked at me like I was crazy.

I was quoted about $5500 in addition to around 16 hours of labor.
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G16 View Post
I was quoted about $5500 in addition to around 16 hours of labor.
THATS INSANE
6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Brent_f70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #15
Dryfter
2008 JK Wrangler 

^Look at it this way.... 5500 plus labor? or a voided lifetime warrenty.... I'll choose the former....
Dryfter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.