Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Moony's "Big Red" 08 JK Build Thread

87K views 455 replies 58 participants last post by  sadass 
#1 ·
Hello to all in the JK section.. I rarely am over here but when I was, the drooling never stopped. So I suppose I can give a small background on my jeep history!

Ive owned a ZJ, and a WJ. Loved them both and they impressed me beyond my expectations. I favored the WJ, mainly for comfort and space while having the v8. Also heated seats and a sunroof while wheeling was nice too ;)

Anyways, I sold the jeep to my parents for a down payment on my Kia, decided that I didnt like it enough to make payments on it for 5 years so I traded it in today for a preowned 2008 JK 4 door sahara with 18k miles on it. Very, VERY satisfied with the quality of the rig, sound system is awesome and everything is perfect from a wrangler.. definitely not what I expected. Overall, very happy so far! Heres a picture at the dealer today as I was signing papers. Very clean, and yes I like my rigs in good shape so expect offroading but then a clean rig after haha

More than likely will be a slow build, but I will be getting new wheels and tinting my windows here pretty soon around tax return season.

Other than that, nice to meet y'all! :2thumbsup:

See less See more
#117 ·
I have it with a washer on top

Finished up the flares, I just kept the rears on and then trimmed and pulled everything out. Put the door molding on and it was done in an hour. Looks killer! Need to trim the rear bumper to match the flares, and the trim that pinch seam, other than that it turned out pretty good!

#121 ·
Thankyou sir! Theres so many different ways to trim them, the rears are usually self explanatory but its the fronts where you can mess up pretty easily. I think it looks best with no front part and it just lines up with the grille. Ill get better pictures of it clean.

Those fender flares came out really nice, great color too work really well with the black! Wanna trade? lol
Man, WJs are nice but i love the JK. Someday you will all understand ;)

497 days till what?

Sent from my iPhone5 using JeepForum
Wat?

#123 ·
Man when did you get a sick JK?! So your brother has the WJ now and you have that. Man 2 beautiful Jeeps. Those fenders look amazing definetly the best trim job I have seen on a JK.

#127 ·
Thanks dude, there has been some changes for sure. I sold the dub to my parents for a down payment on a kia, and turns out im not a car guy so i traded up to the wrangler. Been loving it! Its really cool to have the dub still, weve been wheeling a few times and its been fun and weird to see my dub right behind me haha. What are you up to these days? Lets go wheeling sometime dude!

Welcome. Now just paint the inside of wheel wells black.
Yes sir! :kiss: I need to trim a little more on the pinch seam. how does the bedline spray hold up? My **** always chipped and faded really quick on my bumpers

Your license plate hahah

Oh gotcha, your sneaky

It looks awesome! Love the color too!
:highfive: Thankyou! The color is one of my favorite things about it

#125 ·
MoonyJohn said:
Thankyou sir! Theres so many different ways to trim them, the rears are usually self explanatory but its the fronts where you can mess up pretty easily. I think it looks best with no front part and it just lines up with the grille. Ill get better pictures of it clean.

Man, WJs are nice but i love the JK. Someday you will all understand ;)

Wat?
Your license plate hahah

#130 ·
I would have taken them off but I got caught up in something :(

Well, it didnt take long for the police to catch me.. Fender flares are too skinny so they ticketed me. I ordered bushwackers and they will be here friday and be on the jeep saturday! Was hoping it wasnt a big deal but they got me. Sons of *****es, oh well. I think the bushwackers will look good, I will miss the trimmed flares though.

#135 ·
Installed the flares! The first flare was the hardest, alot of undoing and looking over the worst instructions ever. Why black and white pictures of the underneath of a jeep? Anyways, got them on, took me 5 1/2 hours by myself so it wasnt too bad. Looks killer and will keep the cops off me. Ill take some better pictures with the nikon when it stops raining haha

#138 ·
Sucks you did all that work on the stock fenders only to have to cops catch you. They looked freakin' awesome too. The Bushwackers look good too, though. I noticed in the pic the rear fender-well looked black, did you bedline it or get a liner for it? I know Rugged Ridge makes one for their flares and it looks pretty good.

#140 ·
Moony bushwackers look real nice! Almost looks as if you could fit 37's on there ;) Jeep is looking really nice. Let's get some pictures of the JK and WJ together.

#143 ·
Oh really? I feel like everyone will be a JK person at some point, only took a few years to get the price down lol

Took some better pictures, BTW I love these flares. The lights are so nice, and I adding the rear some 3/4" LED's here soon. Anyone have an idea what wire is for the rear tail light running lights? Im going to tag them into them.

#147 ·
Put an LED side marker in the rear flares today, just hooked up the wiring to a ground and the hitch running lights. Looks slick and matches the front stock markers of the bushwackers. Took a couple minutes to prepare drilling into the flares haha

#150 ·
That's my goal! Right now I'm thinking about waiting on the aesthetics of the rig and getting drive train done. Looking at getting Xgussets aand inner tubes with diff covers, driveshaft, balljoints, gears and lockers.. Yada yada

I think taking the trim off makes it look was cleaner being that it's a darker color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.