Moony's "Big Red" 08 JK Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Moony's "Big Red" 08 JK Build Thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #31
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

look closely, esp at the side its pulling towards, could be brakes, could be just a loose steering component. if theres no pulsation its not a warped rotor. and if you haven't felt it i doubt it is, its usually very noticable

awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #32
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
look closely, esp at the side its pulling towards, could be brakes, could be just a loose steering component. if theres no pulsation its not a warped rotor. and if you haven't felt it i doubt it is, its usually very noticable
Now that you mention it, it tends to wander to the right side with some force. Ill have to check that side more carefully this time.
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #33
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Check the ball joints ,the JK is notorious for their cheapo non servicable joints. The plastic liners inside the joint wear quickly ,unlike the WJ. I have 124,000 on the WJ probably due to the fact I can keep them greased.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #34
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Check the ball joints ,the JK is notorious for their cheapo non servicable joints. The plastic liners inside the joint wear quickly ,unlike the WJ. I have 124,000 on the WJ probably due to the fact I can keep them greased.
Sweet ill have to look at them when I get time!

Also might have found a killer deal on some rock sliders. Hoping the guy still has them, if he does it will be my first mod, just like my other jeep.

Other than the sliders, ill be hopefully deciding on the poison spyder bumper, and if I feel brave, the bushwacker flares too. Debating trimming the flares or buying some. Dunno.
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #35
blackwhiteriot
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just buy bushwackers. Cut ones look ghetto. You might even be able to make some money selling the ones you have to someone with the same colored jeep.
blackwhiteriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #36
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhiteriot View Post
Just buy bushwackers. Cut ones look ghetto. You might even be able to make some money selling the ones you have to someone with the same colored jeep.
Yeah, in ways they look ghetto but some looks pretty bad arsenal. Ill probably get bushies. No way am i dishing 1200 for front and rear metal flares.

BTW, picking up the sliders tomorrow after work. STOKED
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #37
blackwhiteriot
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn

Yeah, in ways they look ghetto but some looks pretty bad arsenal. Ill probably get bushies. No way am i dishing 1200 for front and rear metal flares.

BTW, picking up the sliders tomorrow after work. STOKED
That's awesome. Are you picking up that nice set of sliders off of Craigslist?
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #38
JerzeyBoyWJ
2003 WJ 

Trim your stock fenders and save the cash ...heres a step by step video

Sent from my iPhone5 using JeepForum

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jerzeyboy-03-wj-build-1155698/

Last edited by JLC08JK; 02-07-2013 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: fixed youtube link
JerzeyBoyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #39
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhiteriot View Post
That's awesome. Are you picking up that nice set of sliders off of Craigslist?
Yeah man! My first mod, most important one too
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
MG_salsa
2008 JK Wrangler 

love that color!
MG_salsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #41
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

nice pick up on the sliders, imo, trim, if done right and you put the door trim on they will look great, i get constant compliments and people asking me where i bought mine. when i say they're trimmed stockers they are blown away. imo, depending on the shape you choose, trimmed stockers look the best, plus if you don't like them then you can buy the bush wackers. btw, imo bush wackers only look good if you have a very wide setup. just saying but ultimately its your jeep. so do what you like. i also like the stocks flexibility, saharas usually crack but mine get smushed on trees and just fold in and back out instead of getting ruined. here in pa, there are some very tight trails.
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #42
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_salsa View Post
love that color!
Thank you! I like it too

Quote:
nice pick up on the sliders, imo, trim, if done right and you put the door trim on they will look great, i get constant compliments and people asking me where i bought mine. when i say they're trimmed stockers they are blown away. imo, depending on the shape you choose, trimmed stockers look the best, plus if you don't like them then you can buy the bush wackers. btw, imo bush wackers only look good if you have a very wide setup. just saying but ultimately its your jeep. so do what you like. i also like the stocks flexibility, saharas usually crack but mine get smushed on trees and just fold in and back out instead of getting ruined. here in pa, there are some very tight trails.
Good point actually. We have a lot oftrees butt they are spaced out enough to miss them easy. I might trim them, or imight be able to sell them. Got some time to figure that out.

Going to get the sliders, wahoo!
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #43
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

sweet, yea man, i knew i wanted to do it when i dreamed of a jk, trimming the fenders was the first mod, lol a the first weekend owning the jeep!
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #44
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
sweet, yea man, i knew i wanted to do it when i dreamed of a jk, trimming the fenders was the first mod, lol a the first weekend owning the jeep!
Haha yeah i wouldnt do it until I got tires

Picked up the sliders! No.. no pictures because its dark but these are pretty stout. Never been offroad, still look like new. Feels like they weigh 50-60 pounds a piece. Will be putting them on tomorrow for sure.

Also have decided on the size of lift I want. The guy I bought the sliders from had a 2.5 mopar lift on it with 35" duratracs, looked killer! I looked around and I saw the price and was a little surprised how expensive it was. I saw a friend of mine has a RC lift and went to their website. Normally I would stay away but their stuff looks like its good quality. I can get the 3.5" kit and then try out the stock shocks. If I dont like them, then Ill look at some bilsteins. That said, heres the kit. Seems like a good basic lift, and can be upgraded as time goes on.

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_3-seriesII.html
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #45
blackwhiteriot
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn

Haha yeah i wouldnt do it until I got tires

Picked up the sliders! No.. no pictures because its dark but these are pretty stout. Never been offroad, still look like new. Feels like they weigh 50-60 pounds a piece. Will be putting them on tomorrow for sure.

Also have decided on the size of lift I want. The guy I bought the sliders from had a 2.5 mopar lift on it with 35" duratracs, looked killer! I looked around and I saw the price and was a little surprised how expensive it was. I saw a friend of mine has a RC lift and went to their website. Normally I would stay away but their stuff looks like its good quality. I can get the 3.5" kit and then try out the stock shocks. If I dont like them, then Ill look at some bilsteins. That said, heres the kit. Seems like a good basic lift, and can be upgraded as time goes on.

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_3-seriesII.html
I have the rc 3.25 lift and have been completely happy with it. I've had it for almost three years 0 issues. I clear 35's easy. I bet I could clear 37's if I trimmed a little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.