Moony's "Big Red" 08 JK Build Thread - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Moony's "Big Red" 08 JK Build Thread

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #376
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
first pics looks great, yea i wondered that about evo, i think they make great strong products but seem to do some dumb stuff. oh well ill probably just be drilling my own holes when the time comes to make my own rear bumper anyways.
I would re drill them, but the holes would more than likely overlap :/

Im excited for you! Im almost getting to a point where im at where your at, but now your gonna take off again lol

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #377
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
I would re drill them, but the holes would more than likely overlap :/

Im excited for you! Im almost getting to a point where im at where your at, but now your gonna take off again lol
what do you mean? what point am i at? they are nice enough for me for now, so i keep them. honestly all of my money is going for the stretch prep, sadly my dumb *** friend may have made it so we can't really work too much at the shop, if we don't straighten things out with the land owner it could make it very difficult to do the stretch, and possibly push it a few weeks or months back. which i don't like at all.
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #378
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
what do you mean? what point am i at? they are nice enough for me for now, so i keep them. honestly all of my money is going for the stretch prep, sadly my dumb *** friend may have made it so we can't really work too much at the shop, if we don't straighten things out with the land owner it could make it very difficult to do the stretch, and possibly push it a few weeks or months back. which i don't like at all.
you have the essentials, like the winch, good bumper, good axles, im working on it! I really want your genright setup, but ill have to wait. Im deciding against genrights carrier, evo ($$$$), or Or-fab..

Unread 02-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #379
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well compared to my WJ, this handled like a turd. I dont like the 4wd at all, its jerky and the traction control can go to you know where for all i care. My grand had the 247 2wd-4wd TC and I never slipped once in that thing. I had such great control in that jeep, and this one is complete opposite. It didnt do great with it aired to 28, so i dropped it to 15. It helped a ton, but it still aint no WJ

The road was covered in 6-8" of snow
The 6-8" of snow makes a lot of sense. Hahahah

I just thought it was a dusting.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #380
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
The 6-8" of snow makes a lot of sense. Hahahah

I just thought it was a dusting.
Haha, it's for road comfort duh!

Unread 02-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #381
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Well compared to my WJ, this handled like a turd. I dont like the 4wd at all, its jerky and the traction control can go to you know where for all i care. My grand had the 247 2wd-4wd TC and I never slipped once in that thing. I had such great control in that jeep, and this one is complete opposite. It didnt do great with it aired to 28, so i dropped it to 15. It helped a ton, but it still aint no WJ

The road was covered in 6-8" of snow
Since the 242 swap in my ZJ, I've found that I'm often better off staying in 2wd until the snow gets deep enough (6+ inches) where I start to have significant traction problems getting moving. Then it's time for 4hi (part time). In the shallower snow, I'd generally rather give up some drive traction than have the understeer 4wd imparts.

If it's jerky in 4wd, you probably have enough grip that you don't need it. Next time it snows, I'd try it in 2wd and see how it does.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #382
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Its not only that, its just turning in general. Im sure that it doesnt bother anyone else, but it just seemed that its not a comfort sort of thing. If I drove in 2wd I would get nowhere so its not a traction thing. I just dont see why they would design a 4wd system that you cant use on pavement, seems odd. I loved the 247, never jerked, parking was never an issue, and I could do donuts for days. The JK doesnt even cut a half cookie, which is very lame.. I even turn the traction control off lol

Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Unread 02-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #383
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've noticed a major improvement in snow/4x4 since I installed the new axle with RCV shafts. It use to suck on snow covered roads, the steering wheel would bind and wobble when turning.

During this last snow I left it in 4x4 for several days, smooth as silk. I do "disable" traction control as much as the 2012 allows. With the engine running in 4x4, parking brake engaged, I can hold the esc button for several seconds and it will finally beep and the display says "escoff". No crazy traction control interference, no u joint bind/wobble.

In 2wd with the rear unlocked it won't go hardly anywhere. And as soon as it spins the traction control puts on the brakes.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #384
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
I've noticed a major improvement in snow/4x4 since I installed the new axle with RCV shafts. It use to suck on snow covered roads, the steering wheel would bind and wobble when turning.

During this last snow I left it in 4x4 for several days, smooth as silk. I do "disable" traction control as much as the 2012 allows. With the engine running in 4x4, parking brake engaged, I can hold the esc button for several seconds and it will finally beep and the display says "escoff". No crazy traction control interference, no u joint bind/wobble.

In 2wd with the rear unlocked it won't go hardly anywhere. And as soon as it spins the traction control puts on the brakes.
Thats good that you noticed a difference. I just got frustrated when making turns lol. I turn my "off" and it definitely doesnt seem to be.

Today I went and did the sound deadening project. Wasnt too bad, took my time with me and my buddy, took up a total of 6-7 hours with cleanup. We just took the front seats out and the rear bench bolts so that they folded up. Went very easy, stuff was manuable with a heat gun, and the improvement in sound is crazy. I can hear myself breathing, its weird! Cant even tell the Jeep is on. Pre-installation was pretty simple, just vacuumed and rubbed it with rubbing alcohol and made sure there wasnt any dust or dirt anywhere.

The stuff we used was fatmat, with butoyl. No asphalt, so no odor. He bought the 100sq. feet roll and gave me half. We used maybe 40% of the 50sq foot roll. Might put some in my girlfriends car now!

Heres some progress pictures we had. There are some uncovered spots, but we found that it didnt have to be completely covered. I very happy with the results. Also decided to keep the stock "insulation goop" there, and just cover over it.

Putting the carpet back in, all in all well worth it!

Unread 02-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #385
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

After driving it around some tonight, I couldnt be happier. It is raining really hard, and the highways are full of water channels and the best part is that I couldnt hear anything. Not even the water splashing up in the wheel wells, and I cant even hear my tires hum anymore. Actually kind of bummed about that, I liked the hum lol. But road noise, vibrations, audio system sound quality, talking to one another in the back seat from the front seat is all perfect. I used to listen to the radio at around 16-18 volume, I never raised it about 12 unless I wanted it cranked haha.

I would recommend this stuff to anyone! Especially those who are on phone calls alot, or have passengers alot. Its probably one of my favorite mods ive done on my jeep so far.

Unread 03-15-2014, 12:40 AM   #386
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Installed a 50" ebay bar and brackets.. Love the light, hate the bracket. Light was well packaged, had a very very minor ding in the vent on one side but its been common with these ive read. No wiring harness so I had to go to autozone and get a relay and some 10ga. wiring with a few packs of door mold trim for the vents. The whistle was awful, almost deafening! And I work in construction so I know loud noises haha

Heres some unpacking pictures of the bar

Pretty

Bracket (Junk BTW) never buy this. Its ugly, has booger welds, sticks out at the top, and the fit was terrible. I dont even want to get started on it. All I can say is save yourself a hassle and get a good mount. Im currently waiting on JCR to come out with theirs soon so I can toss this crap.

Mounted. You can kind of see how they stick out up top

Everything together. PITA with the windshield mounts for the dually's.

All thats included

iPhone pictures at night. Pictures do not do justice! Its a widespread beam and its very even

This is a better shot. The light never stops!

Overall very happy with it minus the bracket. Do yourself a favor and get a good one. I wouldnt hesitate to get this bar again.

Unread 03-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #387
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Ordered a trektop NX to replace the trektop I have now. Very excited!

Unread 03-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #388
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You do realize I'll pretty much be copying all of this in a year right?
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #389
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
You do realize I'll pretty much be copying all of this in a year right?

Ill be looking for you!

Unread 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #390
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

sound deadening seems like an amazing idea, especially since my exhaust is crazy loud for anyone in the back seat, i might see if this helps any

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.