Moony's "Big Red" 08 JK Build Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Moony's "Big Red" 08 JK Build Thread

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #166
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post

Always keep it hooked up as in exposed in the cab? If so, then no. Ive got it unhooked right now and locked in the glove box for stealers. I love that feature, locking center console and glove compartment. Its really nice having everything in one hand though!
Are you talking about the stock glove box and center console? Those are easily break-in-able. I would recommend an aftermarket unit. Ask me how I know the aftermarket units are harder to get into. It has save a bunch of important jeep documentation and that exact same cb.

Unread 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #167
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Are you talking about the stock glove box and center console? Those are easily break-in-able. I would recommend an aftermarket unit. Ask me how I know the aftermarket units are harder to get into. It has save a bunch of important jeep documentation and that exact same cb.
Well shoot.. Looks like I need to get one then lol

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #168
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleZJ View Post
Nice, I'm in the middle of figuring out what to do for rubber on the zj. I doubt my blue labels will be safe for street so I either need to attempt to sell them and buy km2s or kevlars or something else, or keep the blue labels for wheeling and buy a set of street tires. I have an insane hookup on a second set of wheels so I'm really stuck on what to do
Go with the kevlars, they ride good and they bite on the trail. Ive aired them down to 10 psi and never had a problem with the bead, and that was with my 5600lb wj. ZJ's are way lighter..

Unread 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #169
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Did you not like the KM2's and soft 8's?

Now I need more money.
john304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #170
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john304 View Post
Did you not like the KM2's and soft 8's?
No i loved them, im just partial with the kevlars. I have a history with them

Unread 05-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #171
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I have a tag along project, a little vintage camper trailer. Its a basic 4x8 design but it needs alot of work. Trim is all ugly, all screws are going to be replaced, and there is a ton of dry rot and some moldy spots where moisture got in. I pretty much found out where the worst spots were when I powerwashed it, and it was all around the window, and the door on the other side, so just the front was replaced with some new wood. Had to replaced half the floor, and then I added caulking wherever I could fit it in the front. Still need to put the paneling all back together, the trim, and put the window and door back on so I can seal those up good. Im thinking I will be painting the trailer the same color as the jeep. I have a couple designs in mind, but Im thinking that Ill do the red on the sides, and then black or a dark charcoal that wraps the center from the front around to the back. Dont know yet, but its almost done! Will look sweet behind the jeep! Its camping season soon, and with this thing its camping season all year 'round!

Small fraction of what was taken apart.

You can see the white mold by the passenger side opening. Nasty stuff, have to replace some paneling too.

Floor replaced and the framing almost all done

Front end framed, and front paneling put in place. As you can see, alot of caulking

Next time Ill update with it all put back together, and then when its all painted! Not a jeep, I know.. but its still pretty cool! Look forward to keeping it along with the JK for years to come.

Unread 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #172
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Got the trailer fixed up, just in time for memorial day weekend. Rained all night at the coast, didnt leak! Its nice to just wake up, and leave everything in a trailer unattended and just hit the road. No packing up a wet tent or rolling up a tarp with pineneedles everywhere. I am now a trailer fan forever haha. Jeep towed it good, hills are slow but it hauled it just fine. Probably doesnt weigh more than 500 pounds though

We nicknamed the trailer Potato, it looks like one

Unread 05-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #173
blackwhiteriot
2007 JK Wrangler 

lol No replys. This forum is a joke...........................
blackwhiteriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #174
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nice setup!

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #175
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dude, where did you find that trailer?? Or at least what is it called? I've been looking for exactly that kind of trailer. I don't need a ton of headroom, just want something small that I can take camping and sleep in. I hate packing up a wet tent because I live in a condo and have nowhere to air it out later. Also would love to take it on wheeling trips and not have to leave all my stuff out it the open at a campsite when off crawling.
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #176
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhiteriot View Post
lol No replys. This forum is a joke...........................
I know man, it is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
Nice setup!
Thanks man! Shes coming along nicely so far I'd say, especially for having it for a few months only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Dude, where did you find that trailer?? Or at least what is it called? I've been looking for exactly that kind of trailer. I don't need a ton of headroom, just want something small that I can take camping and sleep in. I hate packing up a wet tent because I live in a condo and have nowhere to air it out later. Also would love to take it on wheeling trips and not have to leave all my stuff out it the open at a campsite when off crawling.
Sadly, its home-made. My girlfriends parents had it for years and only used it maybe twice in 10 years.. so when I came over to her house for the first time I saw their lawn ornament and fell in love with the thing. It has its problems as you can see, but regardless its not much work and its practical! Lights work, tows straight, roof doesnt leak anymore, and its just big enough to sleep a 6'2" guy and another body just fine. I added curtains, redid the framing, added insulation, caulked all the seams, and then added some FSK moisture barrier insulation on the floor. It held up great during this past weekend with all the rain, but found I still need to seam the windows up better. Other than that, it was dry!

Its a cool rig no doubt, I dont know where you could find something like it. Ive heard about the 'teardrop' style campers, but I just happened to inherit this. And I agree about packing things up, I used to always just camp in tents, and this was a huge convenience to just wake up and drive home. Best part was passing other peoples campsites and they are rolling up their tents in the pouring rain and wind, yuck!

Heres some progress pictures before our trip out

The cat decided she wanted to get pet as I wanted to cut the plywood.. You should probably move

Stuffed the crap out of it with some ecobatt insulation

Side panel piece cut with lots o insulation too

Made the headboard and then stuffed with some padding and ofcourse you got to have matching plaid flanel!

Tada!

Unread 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #177
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Pretty shnazzy trailer. Very nice repair job. Love the Jeep too!
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #178
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCjunkie93 View Post
Pretty shnazzy trailer. Very nice repair job. Love the Jeep too!
Thanks dude! Its spiffy for sure haha. Need to start refocusing on the jeep again

Unread 06-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #179
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Took the plunge to the dark side! Painted the rubis, and I love it! Chose flat black, thought it would match the fender flares and the bumpers and stuff. Turned out better than I thought

Unread 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #180
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

Looks good. You should think about painting the grill
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.