Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Moony's "Big Red" 08 JK Build Thread

87K views 455 replies 58 participants last post by  sadass 
#1 ·
Hello to all in the JK section.. I rarely am over here but when I was, the drooling never stopped. So I suppose I can give a small background on my jeep history!

Ive owned a ZJ, and a WJ. Loved them both and they impressed me beyond my expectations. I favored the WJ, mainly for comfort and space while having the v8. Also heated seats and a sunroof while wheeling was nice too ;)

Anyways, I sold the jeep to my parents for a down payment on my Kia, decided that I didnt like it enough to make payments on it for 5 years so I traded it in today for a preowned 2008 JK 4 door sahara with 18k miles on it. Very, VERY satisfied with the quality of the rig, sound system is awesome and everything is perfect from a wrangler.. definitely not what I expected. Overall, very happy so far! Heres a picture at the dealer today as I was signing papers. Very clean, and yes I like my rigs in good shape so expect offroading but then a clean rig after haha

More than likely will be a slow build, but I will be getting new wheels and tinting my windows here pretty soon around tax return season.

Other than that, nice to meet y'all! :2thumbsup:

See less See more
#4 ·
No sir, kia didnt last long haha. Love the jk though, not gonna lie.

Hi John, glad to see that you crossed over and joined us.

Nice Jeep and very low mileage to boot. Looking forward to your build, they are always fun to follow.
:cheers2:
Thankyou! The mileage was already a keeper on its own, should be a great rig. Will probably work backwards as in getting wheels and then armor second. Lift wont be for a while, so ill get the smaller stuff out of the way and make it trail ready!

Already one thing ive noticed is that my switch to turn the overhead lights on doesnt work. And when I have my lights on and using the right turn signal, the nav screen dims with the blinker 1 or 2 times and then goes back to normal. Ideas?

#9 ·
Well now that Jeep is just too pretty to touch.:drool:

Just kidding about the mod part but damm if it doesn't look showroom new; again, great find. Do you have a basic idea on your overall plan for your Jeep like tire size and lift?
:cheers2:
I know man, its too clean. Now I know for sure if I screwed something up cause it will be noticeable. As for mods, im wanting a small lift with the biggest tire i can get on it. Been thinking of just cutting my fender flares and then getting a 2.5" or maybe 3.5" max with atleast a 35. 37's would be badass

#11 ·
Moony glad to see you back into the jeep seen. Can't wait to see what you do with it! Sub'd...

#17 ·
Thanks man! It wont be as quick of a build as the wj but when the funds allow for some fun, it will be for the jeep.

Oh **** here we go again. That's a clean rig man 3.5 and 37s all day
Couldnt do it man, jeeps are forever. Im looking at those 37's, but I want the 35's first.

Bet it'll be nice getting a 2.5 budget boost, trimming some disposable fenders and slapping on some 35's, especially after coming from a wj! I'm getting a 6 lift to clear 33s.. hope to follow suit in a couple years when I'm out of school and get a jk! I want one so bad :(
It will be a huge pleasure knowing that. Im just debating what style I want my jeep to be. More aggressive or casual.. 35's will be the first set I buy no doubt though.

About damn time Moony
Yeah yeah buddy!

Man sweet color been thinkin of goin to a jk from a wj also
Keep the wj man, I only got a jk so i didnt have to drive the stinkin kia. So much better man..

#14 ·
Bet it'll be nice getting a 2.5 budget boost, trimming some disposable fenders and slapping on some 35's, especially after coming from a wj! I'm getting a 6 lift to clear 33s.. hope to follow suit in a couple years when I'm out of school and get a jk! I want one so bad :(

#15 ·
About damn time Moony

#18 ·
Looking at something that wont drain the tax return funds, so I was looking at bumpers. So far ive come a big fan of the LoD Stubby Short front bumper with the hoop bar, not the stinger style.. or the hanson bumper. Any other brands worth looking at? Theres like, thousands of brands to choose from.

EDIT: Holy canoli, the poison spyder bumpers are killer! Especially for the price!

#20 ·
Wow that's a good price! But anything will outlast a jeep ;)

I had a buddy build my last bumpers, and they were stout! I really like the aftermarket selection, and you can't get one like it for a couple hundred bucks. I wis , but I'm picky about small details, therefore it will be an expensive build :/

#22 ·
Oh really? I see your signature, tis a big step! I think ill be keeping mine stock height for a while, going to armor up and maybe get wheels. I dont feel like spending a fortune on tires for an 18" rim lol. Might just do it anyways, but I might bite the bullet. Was hoping to get the MB72 in black, but they dont make 18's.

Looking at these..

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/fi...=2008&pc=64928&wd=18&rw=&vid=012560&rc=ORPINT

Really like these..

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/D...&t_pt=100888&t_pl=101981&t_pn=MHTD53118902645

#28 ·
Yeah man, im really stoked on it. It was one of those things where you first see and you know thats what your getting.

Must be nice to actually have bumper options...
Dude its actually a headache, too many to choose from. All are really good, just slight differences. Lifts too, lots of brands. Pretty much anything you want, theres atleast 5 of each.

Couldnt take the bling, so I solved that problem. This will hold me over until I get my lift, wheels and tires all at once which wont be for a while. I dont think it looks all that bad!

Also over the weekend my jeep got some dents. Some people had a brawl outside my friends house over the weekend and ended up fighting on the side of my jeep. Have 3 half dollar sized indents and my front fender on the inner corner by the front of the hood is cracked. Pretty pissed and im more upset that I wasnt there!

#29 ·
when you feel the shimmy is it your actual car wobbling? an uneven rotor usually causes a pulsation in the pedal unless it is in an extreme case. even then the pulsation in the pedal will exist along with wobble. only other thing i can think of is un even clamping, which is rare with rotors.

#30 ·
Its seems like its the braking and not the steering. Cause I dont feel anything while driving normally, only at high speeds braking. Ill be driving it later tonight and ill feel for a pulsation in the pedal. I dont recall there was one but i may just not pay attention to it. It didnt do this when I first bought it, so im scratching my head what made it kick in all the sudden. Steering components looked intact, no broken tie rod ends and the balljoints look new. Infact, everything looks new still

#31 ·
look closely, esp at the side its pulling towards, could be brakes, could be just a loose steering component. if theres no pulsation its not a warped rotor. and if you haven't felt it i doubt it is, its usually very noticable

#34 ·
Sweet ill have to look at them when I get time!

Also might have found a killer deal on some rock sliders. Hoping the guy still has them, if he does it will be my first mod, just like my other jeep.

Other than the sliders, ill be hopefully deciding on the poison spyder bumper, and if I feel brave, the bushwacker flares too. Debating trimming the flares or buying some. Dunno.

#36 ·
Yeah, in ways they look ghetto but some looks pretty bad arsenal. Ill probably get bushies. No way am i dishing 1200 for front and rear metal flares.

BTW, picking up the sliders tomorrow after work. STOKED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.