Montaska's Build! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Montaska's Build!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Montaska's Build!

Montaska's Noob Build Thread
I. Introduction
II. Knowledge Base (Videos & Articles that I've found to be helpful)
III. The Build & Beer

Introduction

View my old ZJ build, here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1409578/

I used to have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee when I was stationed in Alaska with the Army. It was a great Jeep and made the trip from Fairbanks, AK down to Bozeman, MT without any issues. About 5 months after getting here, it started to die in traffic. I took it to the Stealership and they said the CEL code could be a multitude of things, and the only way for them to know for sure was for it to 'completely die' whatever that means. I needed a reliable vehicle to make the 4 hour commutes to my cabin, and the 6 hour commutes to my parents, so I cut my losses and traded it in for a 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i (aka 'Slowbaru'). Although the Impreza is an outstanding car for the snow and ice, it obviously lacks hauling capabilities and the ability to go over crappy terrain to get to good hiking spots. And thus, the 1997 ZJ was purchased. I probably paid a little more than I should for a vehicle with so many issues, but it was a project Jeep and I knew I'd be throwing money at it. Well, after I graduated college I decided I needed to sell the Subaru and the ZJ and I got my 2007 Wrangler JK! Wahoo!

I used to do some fairly basic bolt on stuff to my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse and 1972 Alfa Romeo while I was in high school, but I didn't really get into working on larger vehicles until I had the 'privilege' of riding around in this and wrenching on it for 5 years. Before I was Honorably Discharged, I took a three month class that taught me how to take the entire thing apart and put it back together, again:

Picking up my JK!

So, I suppose this will be my new build thread

Plan of Action
I don't rock crawl. With that being said, I am an avid outdoorsman and need to get to my favorite hiking, camping, fishing, and skiing spots. So I do frequent crappy old logging roads and the like. While I will lift it, it's at the very end of my priorities. What I do need, is more horsepower and torque. So, first I will be adding armor to protect my investment, and then working on the horsepower. After that, I may do a lift.

Completed (as of 2/24/14)
32.5" AT/S Tires
Aftermarket Wheels (already on the JK)
Rancho RS5000 Shocks (meh)
Kenwood HD w/SiriusXM Satellite Radio
Rockford Fosgate Front Speakers & Tweeters, RF Soundbar Speakers
KC HiLites
Relocated mirrors
Rough Country Front Bumper

Projected
Front Tube-Doors
Rear Bumper
Flowmaster Off-Road Exhaust
Ripp Long-Tube Headers
Ripp Supercharger (I assume this will mean I have to strengthen my drivetrain, first)
3.5" Lift w/ tires

Knowledge Base

Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Same steps I had, welcome! Youll be overwhelmed by all of the aftermarket support we have haha

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
awinski
i like turtles

2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the bright side! Haha. If youre not familiar with the jk read around. If you are cant wait to see whaat gets dine to this bad boy!
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Congrats and welcome to the JK world!
BlkOpsRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've always wanted a Wrangler, so I am pretty excited! The girlfriend and I took the front top off, rolled the windows down, and drove out of town - it was great! Even had somebody give me the Jeep wave!

So, fortunately after spending so much time replacing bad parts on my ZJ I am pretty good at knowing what to look for... bushings and everything look fine, but the exhaust is completely rusted! It's the only part that seems to be rusted. So, I think that it is a necessity to replace it . I am considering the MBRP Black Exhaust from Morris4x4. Does anybody have any other recommendations, or is this a pretty solid system?

As you can see in the pictures, the Jeep needs new tires, so that will probably be my next purchase. Going to try to fit some bigger tires in there, as well. Will probably do a 2.5" lift, eventually. Also, it has 65,000 miles so I will replace the shocks and spark plugs, too. Brakes seem fine.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
awinski
i like turtles

2012 JK Wrangler 

Great to hear! Remember jk wheel wells are huge. You can fit 37s with trimming, and 35s stuffed without. Back spacing is the key as im sure you know. As for exhaust I have no clue
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

If I had a jeep soley to thrash, it would be a zj. Welcome to this side of the forum!
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
Great to hear! Remember jk wheel wells are huge. You can fit 37s with trimming, and 35s stuffed without. Back spacing is the key as im sure you know. As for exhaust I have no clue
Awesome, thanks!
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the JK world!
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Congrats on your JK purchase and the sky’s the limit to how you want to mod it.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the aFe Catback which is nice because it tucks the muffler under the drivers side instead of in the rear. Looks cleaner and more importantly it doesnt seem to get banged off of rocks as much. It took a couple of weeks for it to settle in and the sound is very good. Not to irritating.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice! Welcome to this side of the forum! If you have any questions, let us know!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks!
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Sold the ZJ today, was sad to see her go but now I have a reliable daily driver to build up! I took the top and doors off the JK and went out on this dirt road that I could see from town, and always wanted to see where it went. Since I only have two days until I move back to the ranch, I decided I should check it out!

It ended up going about 15 miles until it ended at a farm house. Was a dusty but fun ride!

I ordered the Rancho shocks and mirror relocation kit, so those should be waiting for me in the house I am moving back to.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Haven't done anything too crazy, mostly just taking the Jeep out exploring and what-not. I put on the rear Rancho shocks, today, and the Rugged Ridge mirror relocation kit. Getting a wrench around the top shock nuts were driving me nuts, so I'll do them, tomorrow.

My new long-range lights and windshield mounting hardware will be here on Wed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.