Monstaliner Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner Question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

Monstaliner Question

Hey all

last year I attempted to monstaline the interior of my Jeep jk. to no avail, it came out terribly.. poor prep job on my part!!!

I'm trying again now..
so my question is...should I just use more MEK over the existent nearly textureless monstaliner or should i use paint stripper??

thanks!

ctappan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'd call monstaliner and confirm what they would do but if I had to guess I'd say MEK

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Poli
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think you just have to scuff up the monstaliner and clean it with MEK and then apply the new monstaliner
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Preparation is KEY to ANY paint/epoxy/powdercoat job. I'd buff it down, use some sort of solvent-based cleaner and a new coat. I read the monstaliner instructions a long time ago - doesn't it need to stick to the factory paint rather than the metal? I'm sure I read something like that.

Regardless, again - having an industrial background with industrial contacts painters/coaters myself - I chose to use an industrial epoxy paint in combination with a compatible solvent-type thinner/cleaner that were both inexpensive and highly durable for my interior tub, bumpers and rock sliders. I'd say that the stuff I used is nearly 4x cheaper than monstaliner and competitors - and probably just as (if not more) durable.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

I would advise to give Monstaliner a call. I would think if the problem is lack of texture, that would be an application problem, not prep. If poor preparation was the problem then you would have issues with peeling or lack of adhesion. If that is the case then you will want to be sure to remove the first application before attempting again. Good Luck to you...

David M

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.