Monstaliner chipping? Spotty coverage? Anyone else have issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Monstaliner chipping? Spotty coverage? Anyone else have issues?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Monstaliner chipping? Spotty coverage? Anyone else have issues?

Hello all, so I Monstalined my Jeep 1 week ago today so it should be fully cured. Absolutely love the texture. Well I went to go put my rear seat in and the metal clips dragged slightly across the tub and chunked off two half dollar size chips on each side. The seat did not hit the tub very hard and we have had optimal weather for cure time. I went ahead and ordered another 1 quart of it because the coverage seems to also be spotty and to fix the chips from the seat. We used the full gallon and I can still see some parts where you can see the tub and we didn't do the tailgate and it's still spotty. Followed the instructions and prep work perfectly and just concerned if anyone else has had any problems like this? I didn't see any threads but would appreciate input. Thanks for help!

And yes I tried to contact Magnet by PM and phone. I guess he is very busy because the PM hasn't been answered in over a week and a half and the office closes at 4pm today so I missed someone. I also contacted the 800 number on the website with no luck because the guy didn't know much.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
WhiteJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yea, mine chips too. Scuffed and sanded heavily and used methy ethyl ketone or whatever for prep. If the liner is hit sharply with metal it'll come up. It's not as durable as i'd like but I've had it on for a year or so and for the most part it's held up.
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJK View Post
Yea, mine chips too. Scuffed and sanded heavily and used methy ethyl ketone or whatever for prep. If the liner is hit sharply with metal it'll come up. It's not as durable as i'd like but I've had it on for a year or so and for the most part it's held up.
Ok thanks for the info, my buddy used the U-POL Raptor liner and his seems to be less susceptible to the chipping and the coverage seems to be a bit better with less spotting.

Unread 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hummm. That doesn't sound like Monstaliner's rep at all. I did the entire inside and out of my YJ. Not chipping or any issues what so ever.

I'm sure if you can get in contact with someone at Magnet they'll be glad to help you out
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders82 View Post
Hummm. That doesn't sound like Monstaliner's rep at all. I did the entire inside and out of my YJ. Not chipping or any issues what so ever.

I'm sure if you can get in contact with someone at Magnet they'll be glad to help you out
Yes that would be really nice. I'll try to call tomorrow when the office is open.

Unread 10-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
Rooster76
2012 JK Wrangler 

It sounds like you sanded off the clear coat. That was my first guess of what's up with it, after reading the thread title. The other thing that comes to mind is if the chipping was because it was rolled over bar metal. In that case it needs one solid coat of self-etching primer to hold good.

I used Raptor myself and have had good luck with it so far. I almost used Monstaliner after reading tons of threads were people were happy with it. I hope you can get your peeling problem fixed.

Good Luck
Unread 10-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster76 View Post
It sounds like you sanded off the clear coat. That was my first guess of what's up with it, after reading the thread title. The other thing that comes to mind is if the chipping was because it was rolled over bar metal. In that case it needs one solid coat of self-etching primer to hold good.

I used Raptor myself and have had good luck with it so far. I almost used Monstaliner after reading tons of threads were people were happy with it. I hope you can get your peeling problem fixed.

Good Luck
I used some metal primer and sprayed all the bare metal. I called Monstaliner and talked to them. The only thing that was wrong with my prep work was I used mineral spirits instead of MEK to clean the tub, but I did allow adequate dry time of the mineral spirits before I applied the Monstaliner. I ordered a quart of the Monstaliner to touch the spots up but after all the hard work I'm kind of disappointed by some of the chipping and the coverage. I have Quadratec floor mats and they have a pointed rubber piece on the bottom of the mats where it holds their logo on and it scraped off a dime size piece of the Monstaliner. Looks like I'll be velcroing my mats into place and putting some ear plugs over those little rubber pieces at the bottom of the mats. I've read so many positive reviews on Monstaliner so maybe I got a lemon?!

Unread 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Rooster76
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sorry about your bad luck with the liner.

I figured out a way to hold the floor mats in place. With the carpet (and the little hook that's on the carpet) removed my front Quadratec liners would float all over the place. I got some drawer liner padding under them now and it's been working great so far. What I'm useing is more like a yoga mat then the no slip liners with the holes in them (that type seemed like it would fall apart). Looks something like this
Unread 11-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster76 View Post
Sorry about your bad luck with the liner.

I figured out a way to hold the floor mats in place. With the carpet (and the little hook that's on the carpet) removed my front Quadratec liners would float all over the place. I got some drawer liner padding under them now and it's been working great so far. What I'm useing is more like a yoga mat then the no slip liners with the holes in them (that type seemed like it would fall apart). Looks something like this
Thanks for the idea but I actually just went with some of that double sided sticky plastic stuff that molds together and it seems to be holding the mats in place fairly well.

Unread 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
tsbrewers

deleted

Last edited by tsbrewers; 02-26-2013 at 06:44 PM..
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrewers View Post
I have had problems with mine too. Personally I wish I would have gone with herculiner, I haven't had a single problem with all the herculiner I have used over the years. On mine the Monstaliner did not stick to the 2k Omni Primer I used in a few spots. I used the same primer on my sandblasted bumpers and the Herculiner is perfect on those.

Brew
The reason I didn't go with Herculiner to begin with is the texture is like sandpaper. Also the reason I didn't want to go Raptor U-Pol was because I preferred to roll on like the Monstaliner was made for. I don't know if I can say I should have went with something completely different and come Spring I'm going to touch everything up with that 1 quart I still have sitting around. The Jeep will be put through it's test come Spring/Summer so hopefully I'll have better things to say....

Unread 10-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
BandGauto
2004 WJ 

I used monstaliner on my rocker panels. Followed the directions to a "T" and one week later there are areas where the monstaliner is cracked and coming off. Im very disappointed and wont use this product again.
BandGauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

I use the cheap stuff from Lowes/Home Depot to touch it up, I use monstaliner. Works great .. but mine isn't chipping enough to be a huge concern.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
abcflorida

DIY Spray bed liner chipping

I see so many people complain about diy bed liner applications. It's always questionable whether it's the material or the applicator, or the weather...... In my opinion most of the DIY products that have an activator are pretty good.... But, you have a few variables that are different amongst all of them.... adherence, flexibility, abrasion resistance, elongation, etc.... The diy kits tend to have less elongation and flexibility than pure polyurea or polyurea hybrid materials. That's just how the materials work.... So, it really depends on what the conditions are when mixed and how the surfaces are prepped.

I used Spray-Lining for my CJ.... I did the whole outside black. It came out freaking awesome. I was a little concerned about it, but I called in and talked to a support rep for like an hour prior to starting. This was the key to my success. We talked about proper prep, proper mixing, testing, patterns, air pressure versus liquid pressure relationships and some other things like customizing build be altering the amount of copolymers.

This is how it looks.. I submitted it to them and now they use it on their website to represent the product. http://www.spray-lining.com/buy-spra...erior-bedliner
abcflorida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bedliner , chipping , coverage , monstaliner

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.