Money I don't have to spend on making me jeep useable. (winter) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Money I don't have to spend on making me jeep useable. (winter)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
95Cherokee-
2010 JK Wrangler 

Money I don't have to spend on making me jeep useable. (winter)

Hi guys. 2010, stock Jk. Currently have 255/75/r17 stock wrangler st/a ? Tires I believe... Anyways, this is my third winter with the jeep and I am totally disheartened with how badly it performs when there's just a bit of ice. Obviously it's the tires, but having little civics with winter tires moving better than my jeep ( when in 2 wheel drive ) Is weak sauce. I have particular problems when say the rear right tire is on ice, and the rear left one is on packed snow. Maybe I was use to my old Cherokee (xj) that was a beast in the snow with normal all seasons still. Anyways, you figure a good plan is to get some duratrac, load C ( from
What I've read it's better since smoother ride) and significantly cheaper. So duratrac has an affordable, 245/75/r16. I'll throw some studs in it and use it as my winter tire. Basically I'm looking for comment on tire size. Losing about 1.5 inches in overall diameter change. But the tread is so much thicker on the duratracs so maybe not that noticeable. Or spend an extra 120 bucks for only 0.5 inch of a change, with the 265/75/r16. Any and all comments are welcomed!
- I will be taking it out on the lakes for icefishing, reasonably deep snow, 1-2.5 feet.

Last edited by 95Cherokee-; 11-17-2012 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Details
95Cherokee- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Are you getting a new set of wheels too? You listed the new tire sizes in a 16in. rim size.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
1991welder

Go bigger if anything i have an 08 JK and it has 225/75/r16 and it looks so stupid cause the tires are so small
1991welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
95Cherokee-
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yes. I Will be buying new rims.
95Cherokee- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I live in Alaska, where it is winter 6 months out of the year and the snow stays on the road from when it falls until when it melts (generally November through April). I satisfactorily run 33" BFG All Terrain tires, with no complaints. I don't bother putting studded tires on.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What makes DTs really great even on ice is the compound. They are much softer than BFG ATs which allows them to have better grip in colder temps. Not to mention you can stud them if you really have to. BFG TAs are 20+ year old technology. The DTs are superior in every aspect other than tire wear.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
nwpipelayerxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga
What makes DTs really great even on ice is the compound. They are much softer than BFG ATs which allows them to have better grip in colder temps. Not to mention you can stud them if you really have to. BFG TAs are 20+ year old technology. The DTs are superior in every aspect other than tire wear.
I bought 16" procomp alloy black wheels 4" bs.
315/75/r16 toyo open country m/t's they handle all weather. Because they are 16" and not larger the tires were much cheaper
nwpipelayerxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The Toyo MTs are a nice tire but they are extremely heavy which will hurt braking distances especially in the bad weather. MTs really aren't optimal for snow/ice unless you get the siped. That is another reason the DTs are so good in slippery conditions they are siped like crazy!
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
hedrinbc

I have an Unlimited which based on wheelbase is much better on snow. I just threw on a set of Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10, starting my review thread here... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/j...5-r18-1438988/ So far really nice and I've heard snow will be great as well.

If price is part of the equation Treadwright has a new Sentinel tire similar to the Revo which are said to do well in snow... https://www.treadwright.com/p-58-265...b2b-a-t-d.aspx
hedrinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
hedrinbc

Some Cragar Soft 8s in 16" with free shipping...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cragar-Wheel...item5aeb16aa72

Plus those Treadwrights... remember to get the winter "kedge" compound... not that I've had them but read good things and for $10 extra seems to make sense.

Probably as cheap as you get... steelies and retreads... rim + tire.
~$84 (free shipping) + $118 + ~$20 Treadwright shipping = $222 per wheel
+ mount and balance...

I almost did this but for me with kids, schedule craziness, lack of free garage space... it was better to just keep my stock Sahara wheels (18s) and stick with one set of tires.
hedrinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
str8fan
2009 JK Wrangler 

I would spend the extra money and get 285's. You'll wish you went bigger if you don't.
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
nwpipelayerxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga
The Toyo MTs are a nice tire but they are extremely heavy which will hurt braking distances especially in the bad weather. MTs really aren't optimal for snow/ice unless you get the siped. That is another reason the DTs are so good in slippery conditions they are siped like crazy!
This is true they are heavy. (10 ply) but they last forever, and I live in wet an snowy Oregon and they are pretty much the preferred tire by most people with a 4x4 up here. I swear by them
nwpipelayerxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.