Mods for susp lifts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mods for susp lifts?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 04-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mods for susp lifts?

I have a 2012 jk 4dr and I looking at getting it lifted. I cant decide what size to get. I've heard just stick with the 2.5 because you dont need to do any mods afterward but i also hear people running the bigge lifts with no mods. I just want a susp lift that would be best for the wallet and the jeep. any suggestions?

blacked-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Most lifts will say nothing else needed and well its a lie on many. there is a few reason why. First off lifted height and drop are two seperate issue that are related. you can go up and have no extra down(drop). Example is a 2"BB lift that keeps the stock shocks. The shocks limit drop. In your 012 Jeep you can only add 2"inches of drop as measured from the lower shock bolt front. Once you go past thispoint the drive line hits the Y pipe cross over. So if this lift has more than that in drop you MUST move the Ypipe. afew options are bolt on, teraflex spacers, ranchos ypipe and AFE Y pipe. not alot of feed back on ranch yet from what pics i have seen it only looks to lower the pipe. tera flex spaces move it back to the trans brace, this gives you about 4.5 inches of drop. The best option for a 4door is the AFE part its expensive though at 300$? or so. it moves the pipe behind the tcase.

Now the next issue front drive line angle people are allready reporting that even a 2.5 lift seems to kill a drive line in as little as a year or so. may very but it will wear out very fast. This is why jeep warranty are lost on these parts too. if a lift is say 2.5 thats rear the front will be more 3.5 to keep it level add to that say shocks with 10 inch travel and your drop is getting near +5 now the spaces wont work as well with out a new drive line. The after market uses a skinny tube heavy wall. Factor is huge tube thin wall. But the shaft angle is very steep on a 3.5 lift at rest. Little less on 2.5. The big factor is shock lenght and how much expansion the shock has. trouble is a Jeep is never cheep to mod.

People that say they have say 4"inch lift on a 012 that have not replaced every thing above are not driving the Jeep or if they are its to a mall and back and in less than a year they will be wondering why is thing viberating so much. Then the drive line comes apart and well thats a whole nother thread and lots of $$$

There are some lifts that claim that they will not need any thing extra? could be done but is it worth it to go up and not get more down? thats makes for very little travel.
Unread 04-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Depends on what you're using it for. 2.5 will allow you to run 35's and tackle quite a bit. If you want to do it 'right' the first time and maintain factory ride, plan on spending a decent amount of cash. Spring w/ Shock lifts of the likes of Teraflex, Rock Krawler, Old Man EMU, AEV and a few others will come with the necessary parts to make things right and still ride good. The above lifts are pretty well documented here and you can let yourself decide what is right for you. Personally I went with Teraflex because I got an awesome deal on it but was about to pull the trigger on a Rock Krawler lift.

Anyway search around here, there are a ton of folks just like you that are asking for advice on lift kits. Go with what you want to buy but most 'quality' lift kits with Shocks in the 2.5"-3" range for running 35's are in the neighborhood of 700-900 dollars. You could re-use your shocks and get extenders but I don't personally like that idea.

Once you decide which lift, then it's time to pick out some tires! Don't forget spacers or new wheels if you want to keep you stock rims.

....let your addiction begin Hope this helps. Check out my signature for my build and pics.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
JKq8mod

I have started a similar thread earlier; the thing is that I lifted my JK without having a crystal clear idea about the modifications…
(ironman 3inch lift (socks, coils and steering dumper as part of the packet), additionally I have changed rims and tires (r17 xd series with mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial, don’t remember the exact size but they look beefy enough))
Not that I have any problem with it nor I have regret it, but it ends up that I need to change my front driveshaft as well… so before you do anything check all your options.
Well you live you learn, but still, I like my jeep a lot! Especially in the desert!
JKq8mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

I want to do it right the first time. I like the 3.5 lifts. I was looking at this lift,
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16502_4001.htm
AEV 3.5" DualSport SC Suspension System with Bilstein Shocks for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with LHD
Any negatives about it?
Appreciate all the help
Unread 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have never heard anything but praise for AEV.
Those systems are really designed for someone that wants to maintain basically perfect geometry and more than likely get better than stock ride.
I agonized over this one myself, but ended up going with a similar Rock Krawler.
I don't think that you could possibly be dissappointed with this kit.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

i
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

need
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

Unread 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

Unread 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

to
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

Unread 04-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

my
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

items
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
blacked-out
2012 JK Wrangler 

to.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.