Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Modify or upgrade to a Rubicon

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  SecondTJ 
#1 ·
I have a four door Unlimited X on order with the LSD and 3.21 axle ratio, but now I am wishing that I had gotten the Rubicon, though that would have been a stretch financially. So, I am wondering if it would be possible to simply add the items the Rubicon has that I wish my X had, that being the 4.10 gear ratio and the Tru-Lok® Electronic Locking Frt/Rr Differentials. If that is possible, about how much should I expect to pay? Would an aftermarket locker, like Detroit or AMR be less $$? If it's done by the dealer would it preserve the warranty, or would even a dealer "modification" void the warranty?
Or would it less expensive overall to simply enjoy my X for a couple or few years and then trade up for a new Rubicon then? Thanks. :confused:

#2 ·
its going to cost you alot more to put 4.10s in after its made than from the factory. I think its a $50 option from the factory, it'll cost you ~$500 with labor to do it, maybe more.

Lockers, it all depends on what type you go with. The beauty of the factory lockers, is that they are covered under warranty if you ever have any problems, install them aftermarket, kiss the warranty bye-bye.

#3 ·
FinallyJO said:
I have a four door Unlimited X on order with the LSD and 3.21 axle ratio, but now I am wishing that I had gotten the Rubicon, though that would have been a stretch financially. So, I am wondering if it would be possible to simply add the items the Rubicon has that I wish my X had, that being the 4.10 gear ratio and the Tru-Lok® Electronic Locking Frt/Rr Differentials. If that is possible, about how much should I expect to pay? Would an aftermarket locker, like Detroit or AMR be less $$? If it's done by the dealer would it preserve the warranty, or would even a dealer "modification" void the warranty?
Or would it less expensive overall to simply enjoy my X for a couple or few years and then trade up for a new Rubicon then? Thanks. :confused:
I would build your X up a bit:

4.10 Gears
Limited Slip Differential
Manual Trans
17" Rims

You can do that + the S package which gives you cruise control for about 20,080 (500 under invoice) when you are done.

It's something you can then add to to get closer to the Rubicon for less money down the road.

My .02 cents.

#7 ·
Thanks. I think I'll just use it as is for a year and see how much off road I really end up doing and then decide. based upon those experiences, if it would be worthwhile to upgrade to the Rubi, or even if I'd need it. Maybe for what I'll be doing, primarily deep sand and snow/ice, the X will be sufficient, but with maybe just a tire upgrade.

#8 ·
FinallyJO said:
Thanks. I think I'll just use it as is for a year and see how much off road I really end up doing and then decide. based upon those experiences, if it would be worthwhile to upgrade to the Rubi, or even if I'd need it. Maybe for what I'll be doing, primarily deep sand and snow/ice, the X will be sufficient, but with maybe just a tire upgrade.
At least get the 4.10 gears and limited slip differential.

That's bare minimum I think for your application / intentions.

#9 ·
FinallyJO said:
One thing you ought to keep in mind. . .

If the Unlimiteds start showing up on rental lots - which wouldn't surprise me - then you can kiss your trade in good-bye. We've lost over 10k in one year on our '05 WK due in part to the high numbers going through the auctions every day from the rental places. There's a thread on JU about someone wanting to find someone to take over his lease on a '05 WK Limited with 6k miles on it for $489 for 30 months. I just didn't have the heart to tell him that for a couple thousand more someone can go buy one from the auction with 10-12k miles and own it.

That's one of the reasons we upgraded to the Rubicon. That should help it hold it's value a little better.

#10 ·
Perhaps that's one of the reasons (who knows what the others were?) why DCX decided to make the X in 2wd, for the fleet rental market. Hopefully now that they can put the 2wd model out there, they won't be seling them the 4x4, or maybe in much lessor numbers. Oh well, time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.